YVRteacher’s dad is on a cruise! Live from the Jewel Aug 19- Sept 2, 2024

59 minutes ago, kribar said:

Love reading your reviews, Yvonne!  Your relationship with your Dad is so sweet.  I've cruised 2 times with my Dad alone & it's so special, He's 83 & still very active.

Cruising the Jewel for the 1st time one week from today.  Praying we get better food and service. Your experience made me so sad for you both.  Can someone please clarify if there is a White Night or Glow Party & also, which pages were the Freestyle Daily's posted on?  Thank you so much.

Me too on the first time on Jewel on the 16th.

Also the Freestyle's are on page 12.

• Like 1

Yvonne, I'm so sad that you had such a horrible experience on the Jewel, but I loved your photos and your sweet interactions with your dad. You are a wonderful daughter. And you have given me the push I needed to book our next cruise on Princess! I'm so looking forward to your next live and your next cruise with Dad. Hope that you're having a wonderful start to the new school year. Niki

• Like 3

Well, that was like a train wreck you can't take your eyes away from. What a terrible experience you had. For some time, I've been nervous about my February cruise (Getaway, not Jewel). I hope our experience doesn't run parallel to yours. I'll be kicking myself for seeing the wreck NCL is under Herrera and Dirty Harry, while still going on the cruise. 

Best wishes for a wonderful school year! 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Larry showed us a photo in his phone from his cabin the first day of this cruise. He went to use a towel, unfolded it and it was filled with smeared brown poop.  You bet he complained.

He got some chocolate covered strawberries.

This is the most horrifying thing I’ve ever heard! 
I’m usually too timid to complain, but this is inexcusable. A few strawberries are not enough compensation for having to deal with someone else’s poop!

• Like 5

Hi @YVRteacher I’m a littlle late to the «party»/this cruise review! I just realized today that you actually also did write a live review from your Alaska cruise. 
So sad to read about you and dad’s bad experiences on the Jewel, but good to read that you had a good time together in spite of all the NCL glitches.
All the best to you and your dad 😊🌸

• Like 2

Wow. I had really been keeping my fingers crossed for any kind of redemption from NCL but sadly no. They appear to have made things 10 times worse trying, nee failing, to make anything right. I can completely understand why you have said good riddance to the Jewel. Really I don't know how you had the patience to wait an hour for anything I would have gotten fed up long before you did. You have a great attitude and it's been wonderful to follow along with you and your dad. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

Thanks so much for your honest review @YVRteacher.

I guess I still don't quite understand what they expected you to do without a functioning toilet in your cabin. That makes the cabin unuseable. 

Enjoyed your times with your Dad. 😊

We still had sinks and showers. We went up two floors to the bathrooms outside Spinnaker and were typically in the thermal suite before bed so used the toilets in the changing rooms there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My WTA (wonderful travel agent) has filed a case with NCL for us.  I wish someone from higher up in NCL’s corporate structure would read this review to get a true and real picture of this recent experience on the Jewel.

My dad and I have been cruising with NCL for 14 years. We first experienced a less than stellar cruise on the Star from LA to Mexico for one week in March 2019.

We were on the Gem for a Panama Canal cruise from SF to NY in 2020 right when Covid was emerging. That was such a fantastic cruise and it was our last great cruise on NCL.  

So, we first noticed significant cutbacks in 2019. While I did have a terrific time on the Breakaway in March 2024 for Spring Break, NCL is no longer my preferred and only cruise line. I will still sail on a bigger, newer ship with NCL (especially one with Los Lobos) but am totally done with the smaller, older ships since NCL is not staffing them well and is not putting in the time and effort to train crew and ensure food is, at a minimum, even palatable.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I am hoping for better on the Jewel when we take a cruise in November for 17 days.   I am particularly worried about opening a folded towel after reading about what happened to someone.

We are past final payment so we would lose a lot of money if we cancelled and we have flights booked that can't be cancelled either without a big loss of $$.

I did enjoy reading all of the posts and enjoyed how well you treated your Dad.   My hat is off to you.  

• Like 1