Does a U.S. Citizen Flying Back from Europe Through London Need an ESTA?

I’m hoping someone on this forum can help me.  I’m on an upcoming Celebrity Cruise (the Ascent) departing from Barcelona, Spain on September 2, 2024, and returning to Barcelona on September 14..  I’m flying on British Airways from Atlanta, Georgia through London Heathrow to Barcelona and returning from Barcelona through London Heathrow back to Atlanta.  I’m a U.S. citizen traveling with a valid U.S. passport.  On British Airways website, I completed all required preflight information.  I then had this pop up on the website:

All passengers require a valid visa or ESTA to enter the USA

Who should apply for an ESTA?

An ESTA is the Electronic System for Travel Authorization. You should apply if you're a citizen of a country that participates in the Visa Waiver Program, and don't already have a valid visa.

You must now apply no later than 72 hours before your flight's departure time. If you don't have an ESTA or valid visa you may not be able to board your flight to the USA.

As a U.S. citizen traveling with a U.S. passport, I don’t think I need an ESTA to enter the USA.  However, I’ve tried to get a definitive answer from the U.S. Customs and Border Control and British Airways, and all I get from them is a bureaucratic “nonanswer.”  I thought this was a simple question, but it doesn’t appear to be.  I’m hoping the Cruise Critic community may have the answer for me.  Does a U.S. citizen traveling with a valid U.S. passport on British Airways need an ESTA to fly back to the U.S. from London?  Thanks so much for your help.

John

Posted (edited)

Absolutely not! ESTA is only required by people travelling under the Visa Waiver Program, which clearly you would not be as you don’t require a visa to enter your own country. 

BA has some poor IT, which can result in unhelpful messaging (although I wonder if you have yet completed your API including US passport, which should override an ESTA flag). 

Edited by Cotswold Eagle
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, JHUNTGOLF said:

and all I get from them is a bureaucratic “nonanswer.”

The answer is simple......You as a US citizen travelling on a US passport do not need an ESTA to travel. However if anyone in your party not a US passport holder then they will need an ESTA and that may be why the 'popup' appeared.  It may also just be bad IT or BA covering their a$$e$.

Bureaucracy does not believe in simple.  It's job protection!

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

However if anyone in your party not a US passport holder then they will need an ESTA and that may be why the 'popup' appeared

My understanding, is that those with legal US residence eg a Green Card, also do not need an ESTA, but if I have it wrong, happy to be corrected.

Let’s not make this thread as complicated as my recent attempt at a simple update on the EU’s EES and ETIAS 😀

OP, BA’s inability to handle API consistently is a well known problem (or series of problems). A quick internet search will throw up examples of exactly the problem you are having. Or you may wish to post in the Cruise Air section here, where you may find frequent flyers who have seen it before. Be assured it will be resolved at check in at the latest. 

• Like 1