Good App Experience

mfic246

I’ve read a lot of negative experiences while making restaurant reservations but wanted to share our positive one. 

As Rockstars our booking window opened up for our October 20th sailing last night at Midnight. By 12:05 we had booked each night at the restaurant and time we had wanted. App did not crash once and was nice and fast. 

My wife had just downloaded the App that afternoon and booked while on cellular while I was driving. 

From everything I’d read on here and other sites I was expecting a much different experience and was very pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 2

The difference is that there are 70 Rockstar cabins per ship and 1400 other typed of cabins.  Glad it all worked well for you.  In 4 cruises, we haven't had a good app experience, but we've had a great, helpful TA who took care of what the app didn't.

We will be on that same Oct 20 cruise, and it will be our fifth VV cruise (and our fourth as Rockstars).  We were thinking the same thing last night- it was the first time in all five cruises where the app just worked smoothly for the dinner reservations.  It was the first time there was a countdown in the app, and we did not have to keep reloading, crashing, etc.  Last two cruises we never got it to work and had to complete the reservations by messaging Sailor Services.  It was a very nice improvement.

The app will work much smoother for Rockstars because there are so few people trying to login. When the full reservations open at 45 days, that's a completely different experience. That's when working with a TA is so helpful. Just send them your requests list of dining and they take care of it for you. Much easier for them than guests trying in the app. 🙂

Thanks Walter - that's very good to know.  Wish I had done my homework before hand and had a good TA.  Mine basically said I was on my own to make them but I could let them know if I had problems.

1 hour ago, CruisingWalter said:

The app will work much smoother for Rockstars because there are so few people trying to login. When the full reservations open at 45 days, that's a completely different experience. That's when working with a TA is so helpful. Just send them your requests list of dining and they take care of it for you. Much easier for them than guests trying in the app. 🙂

they really should have a system so everyone can do it on website or app.

On 8/23/2024 at 9:20 AM, mfic246 said:

Thanks Walter - that's very good to know.  Wish I had done my homework before hand and had a good TA.  Mine basically said I was on my own to make them but I could let them know if I had problems.

That's terrible. Our TA makes reservations for all the Sailors who ask for help. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 10:30 AM, jon81uk said:

they really should have a system so everyone can do it on website or app.

Yes, you would think between 2019 and now they could have come up with an app that works as well as Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess, Carnival and others.... 🙂

1 hour ago, CruisingWalter said:

Yes, you would think between 2019 and now they could have come up with an app that works as well as Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess, Carnival and others.... 🙂

From what I’ve read other cruise line apps are just as bad. But VV have a new one coming in the next year. I still think there should be an option to make bookings on the website for everyone though, not just the app.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2024 at 9:07 AM, CruisingWalter said:

Ok  question for you all . If reservations open up 45 days ahead for regular cabin categories. When does the booking window open for TA?. We have one & would like to have everything ready to send to her . 

37 minutes ago, Maisyboo said:

Ok  question for you all . If reservations open up 45 days ahead for regular cabin categories. When does the booking window open for TA?. We have one & would like to have everything ready to send to her . 

Exactly the same as it does if you were to do it yourself. Main advantage is the agents have a website view not app.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:
On 8/23/2024 at 9:20 AM, mfic246 said:

That's terrible. Our TA makes reservations for all the Sailors who ask for help. 

Mine said the exact same thing.

21 hours ago, jon81uk said:

From what I’ve read other cruise line apps are just as bad. But VV have a new one coming in the next year. I still think there should be an option to make bookings on the website for everyone though, not just the app.

Not at all. Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Disney, Princess and Carnival have great apps. VV is the worst of any of the cruise lines we've sailed so far.

15 hours ago, Maisyboo said:

Exactly the same time, but TAs don't use the app. They use the Virgin Voyages booking engine that is much faster to grab your dining times. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CruisingWalter said:

Exactly the same time, but TAs don't use the app. They use the Virgin Voyages booking engine that is much faster to grab your dining times. 

Which is why it’s frustrating that they haven’t made a customer facing webpage you can book through.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

VV is the worst of any of the cruise lines we've sailed so far.

I don't yet have experience with things like booking dining, but so far VV is getting top marks compared to HAL. Never has uninstalling an app brought me more joy than when we disembarked our Alaska cruise I could finally free myself of that horrid thing. We'll see if I change my tune closer to our first VV in February. 😅