Experienced cruising family new to NCL - please help me decide on a Christmas cruise!

13 hours ago, jenninlaca said:

Is the Escape more similar to the Getaway or Encore?  Someone just suggested the Escape to me. It goes out of Galveston on 12/20 and the itinerary is same as the Bliss and Getaway and it seems to be the least expensive option:

Costa Maya

Harvest Cay

Roatan (Christmas Eve)

Cozumel (Christmas Day)

We love cruising out of Galveston as it's a lovely island.  However, the logistics and expense of getting a large family from airport to Galveston could be daunting.  There is a lot of information about this on the Gulf Coast departures board if you need to research.  

• Like 1

Hi!   We kicked around several of the same itineraries, and will be first time NCLers, for that period and settled on the Encore (Dec 22 out of Miami).    We were more swayed by the Eastern Carib destinations as most of our recent cruises have been the Western Carib variety and wanted something different (and we were unable to make the Dec 20 Galveston departure).   We liked the Encore offerings vs the Bliss and didn't really want to leave out of NOLA.

If it helps at all, here is a link where I kicked around excursion and specialty dining options.

I think you will have a great time!    We are certainly looking forward to a specific Christmas cruise.

46 minutes ago, txcfa said:

Hi!   We kicked around several of the same itineraries, and will be first time NCLers, for that period and settled on the Encore (Dec 22 out of Miami).    We were more swayed by the Eastern Carib destinations as most of our recent cruises have been the Western Carib variety and wanted something different (and we were unable to make the Dec 20 Galveston departure).   We liked the Encore offerings vs the Bliss and didn't really want to leave out of NOLA.

If it helps at all, here is a link where I kicked around excursion and specialty dining options.

I think you will have a great time!    We are certainly looking forward to a specific Christmas cruise.

Thank you so much! Super helpful. The Escape out of Galveston on 12/20 is actually cheaper than all the others but that Friday departure may be difficult. Encore is quite a bit more but I like all that it has to offer. Still debating!! 

15 hours ago, jenninlaca said:

Is the Escape more similar to the Getaway or Encore?  Someone just suggested the Escape to me. It goes out of Galveston on 12/20 and the itinerary is same as the Bliss and Getaway and it seems to be the least expensive option:

Costa Maya

Harvest Cay

Roatan (Christmas Eve)

Cozumel (Christmas Day)

The Escape and Encore are each members of the Breakaway Plus class.  The Getaway is the second ship in the Breakaway class.  They are similar in design, but the Plus class ships are a bit larger.  As others have noted, it's quite a distance from either IAH or Houston Hobby to the pier in Galveston.  The transfer time, distance, and costs are greater than in New Orleans, probably more than New Orleans and Miami combined.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jenninlaca said:

Thank you so much! Super helpful. The Escape out of Galveston on 12/20 is actually cheaper than all the others but that Friday departure may be difficult. Encore is quite a bit more but I like all that it has to offer. Still debating!! 

The port area of Galveston is totally fine and there are lots of hotel options.   Getting there from the airport looks like way more of an ordeal than Miami (and likely New Orleans, but I do not have direct experience there).    We wanted the East Carib and liked the Choir of Man show offering and other stuff on the Encore.

1 hour ago, txcfa said:

The port area of Galveston is totally fine and there are lots of hotel options.   Getting there from the airport looks like way more of an ordeal than Miami (and likely New Orleans, but I do not have direct experience there).    We wanted the East Carib and liked the Choir of Man show offering and other stuff on the Encore.

I have driven across Houston many times.  Depending on the time of day that you are driving, the 70 miles from IAH (George Bush Airport, or International Airport Houston) to the Port of Galveston takes anywhere from about 90 minutes to almost two hours.  If you can find a flight into HOU (William P. Hobby Airport), the trip to Galveston is only about 40 miles and can take as little as 50 minutes.  It's better to allow 60 or 70 minutes, though.  The trip from MSY to the New Orleans cruise terminal is about 16 miles and usually takes 40 to 45 minutes.  We flew to New Orleans just before Mardi Gras once, and that trip took a bit more than an hour.  In Miami it's about ten miles and can take as little as 20 minutes, but we usually count on at least 30 and always allow at least 45.  We have taken each of these routes many times and know that the time required varies significantly during periods of heavy traffic.

The determining factor for the OP, however, may be the venues available on the ship, the dates and times the ship visits the various ports, or the entertainment on board.

• Like 1