Pool Access for the Mobility Impaired - Especially Out of Tampa

We cruise out of Port of Tampa because it is driving distance from our home and it's difficult for us to navigate airports.  After both knee and hip surgeries, I now use a rollator and have a small portable one for use on cruises.  After several cruises, I know the little rollator works well for me onboard.  However, my biggest problem has been getting into and out the ship pools.  I love to swim and can do many of my required rehab exercises in the pool.  On the Celebrity Constellation and Serenade of the Seas the outdoor pools have broad shelves under the water all around the perimeter of the pools.  I can't walk across these shelves to access the water. There are no handrails across them.  There also are several steps up to the pools.  Last time on Connie the handicapped lift didn't work and, if it did, it dumped the handicapped person into the pool that's all 6 feet deep and over their heads.  The indoor pool on Constellation doesn't have the shelf but has about 6 steps to get up to the pool.  Bottom line:  Does anyone else with mobility issues have any suggestions for ships with better pool access for the mobility impaired?  I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue.  I have sent questions and suggestions to Celebrity on the problem of accessing the pools for people with mobility issues but received no feedback from them. The Celebrity Constellation especially is full of senior citizens with walkers, scooters, rollators, and canes.   We, too, would like to access the pools, especially on sea days.

I did post in both the 55+ and Disability forums because I felt the topic was relevant in both places.  Thanks for the link to the accessible pools post.  

It looks like most pools are not self-accessible for the mobility impaired due to steps and the 10 inch deep underwater ledge that runs along the whole periphery of many pools, for example the Constellation and Serenade of the Seas.  In March 2024 the handicapped "ducking chair" on Connie was not working and, if it did, it would dump the handicapped person into the pool that is all 6 feet deep and over one's head.  There also were steps up to the level of the ducking chair.   The pool configurations are a real issue for the mobility impaired.  The steps and the ledges may be to contain pool water in rough seas but so many of us wish the cruise lines would find a real solution to come up with better pool access for the handicapped. 

• Like 1