Live or Semi Live from Norwegian Dawn August 26th

heffy2

@heffy2 really enjoying this review. We'll be on the Dawn out of Stockholm in September. I have a favor to ask! DH is a whiskey drinker and likes the good stuff. If you get a chance, could you post a pic of the whiskey selection in one or two of the bars (the bottles, not the menu). I did see lots of Jameson in your O'Sheehan's pic. Looking to see if they have Whistle Pig 🙂

Many thanks!

Denise

5 hours ago, Sundiego said:

@heffy2 really enjoying this review. We'll be on the Dawn out of Stockholm in September. I have a favor to ask! DH is a whiskey drinker and likes the good stuff. If you get a chance, could you post a pic of the whiskey selection in one or two of the bars (the bottles, not the menu). I did see lots of Jameson in your O'Sheehan's pic. Looking to see if they have Whistle Pig 🙂

Many thanks!

Denise

IMG_2986.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We had an interesting day today in Cobh. My mom really wanted to see the unique houses and visit the cathedral, but we booked Cork on your own, so we went to the wrong place! Oops. We booked several on your own tours, Dublin yesterday and then Cork today. They’re ok did you don’t mind making your own plans, and booking tickets for things. The only thing we haven’t liked much is they don’t give you much time. The tour today was supposed to be 4 hours, but with the travel time we only got about 2 hours and 45 minutes in town. We visited St Finn Barre Cathedral which was incredible. It was on the site of a church from the 13th century, but the current building was built in the late 19th century. There were some relics and items from the older churches, but like several old churches in Ireland, the Vikings and later the British destroyed them. 

IMG_2842.jpeg

IMG_2850.jpeg

Edited by heffy2
  • Like 3

After the church we raced to find a pub to have a beer or some Jameson. We wanted to go to the Franciscan Well Brewery, but it was too far of a walk, and we had to be at the City Hall to catch our bus back to the ship at 3:30. We ended up going to the English Market and again, it blew my mind! I wanted to spend 2 hours there, but we only had like 20 minutes.

IMG_2895.jpeg

IMG_2896.jpeg

IMG_2897.jpeg

IMG_2899.jpeg

IMG_2900.jpeg

IMG_2901.jpeg

IMG_2902.jpeg

IMG_2904.jpeg

IMG_2905.jpeg

IMG_2906.jpeg

IMG_2908.jpeg

• Like 5

Right around the corner from the market I found a cool little pub and had a Harp Lager. I couldn’t do Jameson, I stayed out laaate last night and I was pretty hung over all day. Oops…

IMG_2911.jpeg

IMG_2912.jpeg

IMG_2909.jpeg

• Like 4

The pub was on this great street and I walked fast and took as many pics as I could. I was almost late for the bus, so I had to hustle. The driver said we had to leave by 3:40pm to not get stuck in traffic.

IMG_2913.jpeg

IMG_2914.jpeg

IMG_2915.jpeg

IMG_2916.jpeg

IMG_2917.jpeg

IMG_2918.jpeg

• Like 2

I made it back to city hall just in time. People on the bus were sneezing and coughing, so my mom put on a mask. People on this ship seem to have a hard time cover their mouths when they cough. 🤮

IMG_2921.jpeg

IMG_2922.jpeg

• Like 1

We made it back to the ship with about 10 minutes to spare until all aboard time. I had a nice chat with the HGM about my time working onboard Pride of America 10 years ago, he’s a really nice guy. The sailaway from Cobh was gorgeous, and sailing past the spot that the Titanic was anchored when she called at Queenstown was cool. It was also amazing to be in the spot that the Lusitania was torpedoed. I’ve been an ocean liner freak since I was about 6, so I kept blabbing to my mom about the ships the whole time. 😂

IMG_2926.jpeg

IMG_2927.jpeg

IMG_2928.jpeg

IMG_2934.jpeg

IMG_2942.jpeg

IMG_2945.jpeg

IMG_2943.jpeg

IMG_2947.jpeg

IMG_2946.jpeg

IMG_2950.jpeg

IMG_2952.jpeg

IMG_2961.jpeg

• Like 3

Dinner was just ok, but that’s because I might not have chosen well, lol. Oh, I forgot, we got potatoes today!! My mom’s roast chicken was great. 

IMG_2973.jpeg

IMG_2974.jpeg

IMG_2975.jpeg

IMG_2978.jpeg

IMG_2979.jpeg

IMG_2980.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m taking it easy tonight, and we have a late call tomorrow in Portland England. We’re going to Corfe Castle and I can’t wait! They took our passports on embarkation, because the Irish need to physically see them I guess. We have to pick them up tomorrow at 12:30pm, but our tour has a 12:45 meeting time, so I’m going to try and go early. The music around the ship has been phenomenal. I wasn’t into the illusionist in the main theater, so I’m just sitting in O’Sheehans having a beer, before I turn in early. 

IMG_2982.jpeg

IMG_2983.jpeg

IMG_2984.jpeg

IMG_2985.jpeg

IMG_2987.jpeg

• Like 2

Good morning! Today we finally made it to the dining room for breakfast. I still don’t understand the paintings in the Venetian Dining Room. 

IMG_2998.jpeg

IMG_2997.jpeg

IMG_2996.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/28/2024 at 2:18 PM, heffy2 said:

One thing I’m not used to here, and I keep forgetting to ask for it, is coffee. Every other cruise line that I’ve sailed they always offer coffee before they bring out dessert. I guess I should ask at the beginning when the we take our order?

I think NCL has purposely stopped this offering. We noticed on the Epic earlier this month as well as the Jade last November that we were NEVER offered coffee after dinner at the main dining or specialities. Quite a far cry from cruising in the early 2000's when it was a big deal! 

• Like 1

if i'm not asked, i usually tell the served i'd like a cappuccino or a latte, as well as a glass of port 

if you forget to ask, do the old standby, tie a string to your finger, or put a little note in your purse or wallet.

definitely a 1st world problem  LOL

• Like 2

4 hours ago, complawyer said:

if i'm not asked, i usually tell the served i'd like a cappuccino or a latte, as well as a glass of port 

if you forget to ask, do the old standby, tie a string to your finger, or put a little note in your purse or wallet.

definitely a 1st world problem  LOL

It may be a “first world problem”, but it’s not something I’ve ever experienced in a dining room on a cruise ship in 29 sailings. 

• Like 1

Today was absolutely incredible. Portland, Waymoth, and Dorset England blew my mind. We had a ship excursion to Corfe Castle which started at 12:45pm. That means we finally had a chance to try breakfast in the dining room. It was great!

IMG_2996.jpeg

IMG_2997.jpeg

IMG_2998.jpeg

IMG_3001.jpeg

IMG_3002.jpeg

• Like 2

Our arrival into Portland Harbor was beautiful.  We had a leisurely morning, and I should have gone to the thermal spa. I purchased a pass for the cruise, and I’ve only gone twice so far. It’s hard with early morning, full day excursions. We eat when we get back to the ship, and then have a few drinks, and it’s time for bed. I WILL go tomorrow. 

IMG_3023.jpeg

IMG_3041.jpeg

IMG_3042.jpeg

IMG_3046.jpeg

IMG_3049.jpeg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, heffy2 said:

Good morning! Today we finally made it to the dining room for breakfast. I still don’t understand the paintings in the Venetian Dining Room.

It's called Neo Pop Expressionism.  Those paintings were installed when the Dawn underwent a major redecoration program in 2016.  Your General Manager Alain Magnier also was on the Dawn when the ship was renovated.  He told us that one day when he checked the progress of the dining room update, he noticed the paintings.  He went back the next day when the workers were painting over the faux marble finish on the columns and walls and saw that there were broad splotches of paint on the portraits.  He was aghast!  He just knew that the workers had destroyed thousands of dollars of artwork.  The architect / decorator assured Alain that the paintings were supposed to be splattered with swaths of paint.  Alain was relieved, but he never has reconciled himself to that particular form of expressionist art.

Thank you for taking time to share your vacation on CC.  I have an Africa trip booked on the Dawn and have been concerned because of all the bad reviews. You aren't reporting any major issues so I'll take that as a good sign! 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2024 at 5:10 PM, heffy2 said:

We made it back to the ship with about 10 minutes to spare until all aboard time. I had a nice chat with the HGM about my time working onboard Pride of America 10 years ago, he’s a really nice guy. The sailaway from Cobh was gorgeous, and sailing past the spot that the Titanic was anchored when she called at Queenstown was cool. It was also amazing to be in the spot that the Lusitania was torpedoed. I’ve been an ocean liner freak since I was about 6, so I kept blabbing to my mom about the ships the whole time. 😂

IMG_2926.jpeg

IMG_2927.jpeg

IMG_2928.jpeg

IMG_2934.jpeg

IMG_2942.jpeg

IMG_2945.jpeg

IMG_2943.jpeg

IMG_2947.jpeg

IMG_2946.jpeg

IMG_2950.jpeg

IMG_2952.jpeg

IMG_2961.jpeg

Too bad you didn’t have time to do Cobh because there a lovely little museum on the dock that is mostly about the Titanic and the Lusitania.