Shipboard credits

34 minutes ago, snorklelover said:

If you do not use all your shipboard credits by the end of your cruise do you forfeit them? 

Thank you

If they are non refundable, then yes.  Most of the SBC is non-refundable.  If you have purchased excursions in advance and paid for them with credit card then your non-refundable shipboard credits turns into refundable.

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

If they are non refundable, then yes.  Most of the SBC is non-refundable.  If you have purchased excursions in advance and paid for them with credit card then your non-refundable shipboard credits turns into refundable.

to the extent of the amount you paid by credit card for the excursions or received as refundable OBC (like from your TA) .  Two examples:

1.  Paid $200 for excursions in advance by credit card.  You have $300 of nonrefundable on-board credits.  $200 of the OBC will become refundable, but the $100 of OBC remains use or lose.

2.  Your prepaid by credit card excursions were $400.  Now the full OBC is refundable.

Regent finally made this accounting easier a few years ago.  Your onboard account (available on the TV will list all of your expenses (excursions, boutique, cooking classes, etc.) and then apply all of your nonrefundable credits first, regardless of the timing of the purchases or credit card payments. Whatever is left (up to the credit card payment total) is refundable.  Any refundable OBC as are sometimes provided by TAs is treated as if a credit card payment.

A final word about the shipboard accounts.  Regent will be default treat each person in the suite separately.  A word to Reception will consolidate all expenses and credit under one person's account which makes it easier to track.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

snorklelover:  Another thought. 

Early on your segment, like maybe Day 2--Review your Account which will be posted for online viewing in your Suite. OBCs will be shown as a Credit.  

THEN--go to Reception and request a hard-copy printout.  The refundable and non-refundable OBCs can get a bit convoluted. At-least to my ever-increasing Senior mind.  

Example:  you have a TA (hopefully) who has provided OBCs.  The Statement from your TA will contain the bottom line. OBCs provided by a TA are separate from whatever Regent has "gifted" as an incentive, or Promotion, or whatever. 

Regent will utilize the Nonrefundable OBCs first for onboard purchases, like, for example, a Wine Lunch/Dinner; Special Wine, Shop purchases, that special Regent Excursion you decided to book, whatever.  Then--will default to Refundable OBCs, if any, provided by your TA.   

Periodically throughout the cruise, check on outlays.  Hopefully, the potatoes will come out even with the gravy before the final day--a wash. No CC Bill. Or, if there is one, it will not cause sticker shock.  

TA's handle Refundable OBCs which are NOT used differently. So, not going to provide more details on this aspect. 

Enjoy your Cruise. 

GOARMY!

Edited by GOARMY
context
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, snorklelover said:

Thank you all for the detailed explanation of OBC. Portalan, I think we might be on an upcoming cruise with you ( Montreal to Boston)?

Indeed.  Very much looking forward to our first sailing on Grandeur with a very interesting itinerary.  I can usually be found near the pool bar at sail away (tall, grey hair and beard, and, invariably, a camera around my neck).  Maybe we'll cross paths. 

I knew that our SBC was non refundable, and indeed we had a letter a day or two before we disembarked saying we had $6.20 left and reminding us we needed to spend it ASAP.  However, on the morning of disembarkation, a refund appeared, because we were entitled to a discount on the wine lunch, which we'd paid for with SBC  I was told specifically that it had gone back onto our credit card.  If it hadn’t I was going to donate it to the crew fund as there was no opportunity to spend it.  Still waiting.  I expected it to be non refundable and we weren't expecting it anyway, but what is the point of refunding it on the last morning when we're already in port.  Surely the refund should have shown up after the wine lunch.  It wasn’t a large amount but I just wondered if they always did that last day thing.  If we'd had a credit card bill it may have been reduced but we didn’t.