Upgrade internet pre-cruise or on ship?

We are sailing on the Gem in September, and have the "free at sea" internet package. (2 adults).   To upgrade one level to unlimited- no streaming needed- is it better to do that now, pre-cruise or onboard?  By better, I mean which is cheaper?   We are in Canada, and currently the price to upgrade is $300 CDN for 2 people, roughly $225.00 USD.    Thanks for any tips/advice. 

5 minutes ago, 3CanadianBears said:

We are sailing on the Gem in September, and have the "free at sea" internet package. (2 adults).   To upgrade one level to unlimited- no streaming needed- is it better to do that now, pre-cruise or onboard?  By better, I mean which is cheaper?   We are in Canada, and currently the price to upgrade is $300 CDN for 2 people, roughly $225.00 USD.    Thanks for any tips/advice. 

Check the free at sea + package costs… I know for me it made more sense to get that than just the wifi upgrade. 
If it is a case of just the wifi some folks knock a day off the cost if you wait until after embarkation day to do the upgrade but have to avoid using any of your minutes until then.

I wait until after I board. Unlike other things on NCL, there's no discount on wifi pre-cruise. (I don't drink alcohol, so no use getting the full on FAS plus).

Each day that goes by, the internet gets cheaper to upgrade on board. It depends on how long one can go without internet.

I am doing a med cruise in November and since it is port intensive, I am going to try and not upgrade for at least the first day or two (or three) and just use my data while on land. It's $250 to upgrade and I honestly won't need it until after the first week (16 day cruise). 

I was on the Joy 7 day to Bermuda. Started Sunday, on Tuesday it came up on the phone for $10 a day for the rest of the trip. The offer came up when I logged in, and I heard it won’t come up if you have used all your minutes. 
Have heard similar for other ships.

16 hours ago, 3CanadianBears said:

Thanks - so you can not use any minutes at all if you wait to upgrade? Not sure that would work for us....

Keep in mind that on embarkation day you're in port until around 5 typically, sometimes later.  That means you'll have cellular if you NEED to get online.  That also means you're paying the full day price for 7 hours or less of access.  By the time midnight rolls around most people are BEAT from travel and exploring the ship, so you really won't need the upgrade until you get up on the first morning at the earliest.

If I upgrade (I have on my last 2 cruises) I do it the day after embarkation day.