Crusing For A Month

Hi Everyone, It's a quite a while away, but my dh and I are doing a 29 day cruise (I seriously cannot believe I convinced him to do this, as he doesn't like to be gone longer than 2 weeks! We are sailing on Princess and will travel from Seattle, a few ports in Alaska (Ketchikan, Juneau & Whittier), cross the Pacific  (9 days at sea). 5 ports in Japan, a day each in Kong Kong and Taiwan, 2 days in Vietnam, arriving in Singapore. We depart September 29, 2025.

It appears that temperatures in Alaska will be in the 40's/50]'s. with the remaining ports ranging about mid 6-'s to mid 80"s.I have absolutely no idea about the crossing. 

I'm not worried about the Alaska temperatures. We've been to Alaska multiple times and I plan to just do low key DIY activities. I plan to bring  a pair of tights to wear under pants, my Costco puffer jacket, beanie, scarf and I can layer a top or two.

We can do laundry ourselves at the Princess and will also have free laundry (elite) I typically pack light, with a rolling 22" carryon and a personal item. But I also know I may want a few more items for a month. I am thinking I might bring my 24" roller, plus my larger backpack (19", so carryon size). I'd ship through the larger bag obviously and carryon the backpack (https://www.amazon.com/Hynes-Eagle-Backpack-Approved-Weekender/dp/B0D8J6HR9Z/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1L90YGDVR1PVB&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.hAlWBdtk7A0sEBcX4ZU5oCwKtu81LC1Y_p63M8V0dpfy-vrGNLe291Tr2CVSEr3rAWw98zN8ulfkMNBywT089FnEFXz_8GYJZ4eEUihS1wVWdCPXchUKNrScw4mYHbfUClt87oC4AGIOBUJSU25ZjF6hiS9RP0Z9dGUSNrwkIzbKt1eFYRjAz7QZZZ-4z7cVZI2uVKl9h8qg4XPVMMexKd40nKKDnP8lH7LcI4J36Js.mUCfyfpYQb_e0_dDqFQbSsJO_Mk5sY5ykPgBXCVG-ck&dib_tag=se&keywords=hynes+eagle+38l&qid=1725134268&sprefix=hynes%2Caps%2C322&sr=8-7. I'd pack this carryon assuming my main luggage would be lost/delayed (just in case)

So, my question is...if you've been on  a cruise this long, what do you recommend bringing? For example, I plan to bring 2 pairs of workout bottoms and tops, because especially on the sea days, I plan to go to the gym (I feel like I need to keep on some sort of "regular" routine, at least for the first two weeks of the cruise). I also typically take some OTC meds, but may add a few items to that, as if I got the flu for a couple of days. But I imagine there might be more I might want? I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Here in the South, 40-50 degrees is a typical day in winter.  I don't think you'll need the tights under your jeans -- but they take so little space in the suitcase, and you might want them for dinner anyway.  Bare legs in 40-50 degrees is a little chilly.  

The puffer jacket + a layered tops sounds perfect.  A scarf, hat and gloves makes such a difference in your warmth.  

I don't think I'd want the larger backpack.  Why?  The backpack will not only serve you for Embarkation Day -- it'll be your day bag every time you get off the ship, and that larger bag won't be as convenient.  I'd consider attaching a duffel bags to the top of that 24" suitcase, if necessary. 

Yes to workout gear.  Eating cruise for for a month without working out?  No, it doesn't bear thinking!  

Yes to packing your OTC meds bag to the max.  You don't want to bring yourself to the attention of the medical staff unless you're really, really sick.  What do you typically use at home?  Pack two packs of all that.  Then pack two packs of general sickness medicine -- we like DayQuil ourselves.  Band-aids and other first-aid.  If you use none of this, be pleased.  

Will you have to fly for this cruise?  While lost luggage is an oft-discussed fear, it doesn't happen all that often.  As long as you arrive 1-2 days ahead of time, the chances of loss are miniscule. 

We have free laundry when cruising so typically pack light - one backpack, one carryon rolling bag each.  Everything needs to be able to be worn in more than one place meaning my workout clothes, formal wear are designs that can be worn around the ship or on shore.  I bring one dress for dressy/formal nights and no one ever notices I wear the same one and it is a nicer looking spaghetti strap dress that can be dressed down for shore days.  I will put a top over it to change the looks sometimes.  

My OTC Meds are the same ones I take on land trips - aspirian, sudafed, cold medicine, bandaids, antibiotic ointment, etc but we have bought OTC meds all over the world - same with toiletries - when we run out of something or need something we didn't bring.  That is something I keep telling myself - everything can be bought much easier than overpacking.  I've had trouble finding shaving cream in Asia but used hair conditioner until I found some.

We go on longer cruises and also often do a cruise, then a land portion, then a second cruise. In April 2025 we will do a transatlantic then a week in Belgium, then QM2 back to the states. QM2 is more formal so we will pack our formal wear and all formal wear accessories in a wardrobe bag and not bother to touch it till the last portion of our vacation.  The wardrobe bag is easily attached to my Husband's rolling suitcase. We use about a 25" x 18" bag each, plus the wardrobe bag. We do each have a med/small backpack too. 

One thing I do bring on any vacation I think might be cool ( Alabama here, so 50's are cool!) are a pair of gloves, I don't wear a hat or scarf so I don't bring those. I also bring a Rain Coat with a zip out liner. Then I add 1  sweat shirt and one pair dressy yoga pants. 3 thin cardigans, 2 t-shirts and 2 short sleeve blouses, one long sleeve t-shirt. 4 to 6 casual dresses and 2 to 3 skirts/skorts, depends on how much room I have. 3 pairs shoes, slip on sandals or water strap on sandals, tennis shoes (  2 pairs socks), and 1 pair dressy sandals. 1 slip and 6 pairs undies. That is all the clothes I need, I do use the sink to wash things out and also will do laundry on the ship. 

For all the extras, I pay attention to what I use everyday and only bring those items, no extra just in case stuff. Brush, face powder, baby lotion ( for face and body), one small perfume, hair conditioner (  we will use hotel / ship shampoo), hair spray, hair ties, hair clip. 4 to 5 pieces jewelry.

We also bring a few bandaids, NyQuil, aspirin, Pepto bismol, cough drops. Small binoculars, Kindle, phone, and 1 charger, passport wallet.

We drive to Fort Lauderdale, but when we do have to fly I can fit everything into a carry on size bag too. 

I hope my extensive list helps. I find packing fun and would bring much more EXCEPT I hate to have to unpack and wash and put everything away,  so I always try to pack light.

On 9/2/2024 at 12:42 PM, SAN415 said:

We go on longer cruises and also often do a cruise, then a land portion, then a second cruise. In April 2025 we will do a transatlantic then a week in Belgium, then QM2 back to the states. QM2 is more formal so we will pack our formal wear and all formal wear accessories in a wardrobe bag and not bother to touch it till the last portion of our vacation.  The wardrobe bag is easily attached to my Husband's rolling suitcase. We use about a 25" x 18" bag each, plus the wardrobe bag. We do each have a med/small backpack too. 

One thing I do bring on any vacation I think might be cool ( Alabama here, so 50's are cool!) are a pair of gloves, I don't wear a hat or scarf so I don't bring those. I also bring a Rain Coat with a zip out liner. Then I add 1  sweat shirt and one pair dressy yoga pants. 3 thin cardigans, 2 t-shirts and 2 short sleeve blouses, one long sleeve t-shirt. 4 to 6 casual dresses and 2 to 3 skirts/skorts, depends on how much room I have. 3 pairs shoes, slip on sandals or water strap on sandals, tennis shoes (  2 pairs socks), and 1 pair dressy sandals. 1 slip and 6 pairs undies. That is all the clothes I need, I do use the sink to wash things out and also will do laundry on the ship. 

For all the extras, I pay attention to what I use everyday and only bring those items, no extra just in case stuff. Brush, face powder, baby lotion ( for face and body), one small perfume, hair conditioner (  we will use hotel / ship shampoo), hair spray, hair ties, hair clip. 4 to 5 pieces jewelry.

We also bring a few bandaids, NyQuil, aspirin, Pepto bismol, cough drops. Small binoculars, Kindle, phone, and 1 charger, passport wallet.

We drive to Fort Lauderdale, but when we do have to fly I can fit everything into a carry on size bag too. 

I hope my extensive list helps. I find packing fun and would bring much more EXCEPT I hate to have to unpack and wash and put everything away,  so I always try to pack light.

Definitely gloves! They take no space and will make an excursion a lot more comfortable if the temperature drops.