Live From Crystal Symphony - A New Adventure - Reykjavik to Dover

Keith1010

Greetings from Crystal Symphony

We enjoyed a great night on-board Crystal Symphony last evening.

Dinner at Umi Uma the Japanese Specialty Restaurant featuring cuisine by Nobu.  

We enjoyed a very nice dinner with a friend.  In fact, dinner was so much fun that between the great service and cuisine and conversation I forgot to take photos of some of the items we enjoyed.  

IMG_5184.jpeg.f5f24631cf4811ed14e3dfa64f0c106e.jpeg

IMG_5185(1).jpeg.c4323a7184360ba9fafd70fcccc74271.jpeg

Today, Crystal Symphony arrived in Greenock, Scotland.  We like to space out tours and with one tour this cruise and three the next cruise plus one the post cruise we didn’t select one of the tours to Glasgow or to Edinburgh due to length of the tours and the driving times involved which is close about one hour and thirty minutes and three and one-half hours respectively to and from each city. In addition, Anne Marie’s late sister lived in Scotland for many years, and we had the opportunity to visit with her in Glasgow and in Edinburgh several times when she lived in each of these cities. 

Instead, we visited Greenock.  Greenock has a population just under 50,000 residents. For many years, Greenock was known for shipbuilding, for its large harbor in addition to fishing.  Today, it is known for tourism, and for its art and its museums and for those visiting as a gateway to Glasgow and Edinburgh.  

I went out in the morning to walk around portions of the city. It was pleasant to stroll around. 

3F60E847-E588-4DD0-A011-3F0D25106399.jpeg.e327dfb8615ee7311f3e62c3d7365e01.jpeg

18CD4E1B-8BB9-44F8-9B4A-BC02E034FD54.jpeg.753565552a5bb6e93e3cbc2e4bdb1c52.jpeg

We’re enjoying the rest of the day on-board Crystal Symphony.

I’ve included a photo collage of Jade Night Club which features late night dancing and entertainment with DJ Viviano.

Even in Scotland there are fast food places (see photo) which makes you feel that you are in the USA.  LOL.

7C0C1767-44DC-4807-AEEC-292E4056F0CB.jpeg.23ab37ea000eea4714b554f67e987d1b.jpeg

Added a video from Jade. Be sure to turn up the volume.

Same goes for a video of Violinist Inga Marceliene

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

Thank you Keith for the updates.  I just saw a news report of high solar flare activity.  Hopefully you're sailing under clear skies and see some Auroras tonight.

Last May, Rose and I were in Norway hoping to see them.  Of course, while we were there, folks back home in Knoxville Tennessee saw a once in a lifetime event.  We got clouds and diddly squat.  

• Like 2

They changed the recipe and the presentation for the Tartare Of Fresh Salmon on the Modern Cuisine menu.  While I liked the former recipe this one is a wow.  It was accompanied with Lemon-Chive Mayo, Pickled Vegetables, and Quail Egg.  They would have added it but I decided to do it myself. 

They also served it with a lemon citrus sauce on the side and asked if I wanted them to pour it on top and I decided to do it myself.  It also added to its overall taste.

If you like Tartare I highly recommend this appetizer. 

IMG_5217.jpeg.06eb5ce2be5a1a91fa8fb44b22c3ebd6.jpeg

Keith

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Helene1111 said:

Keith, the Symphony live views are working again … thanks for reporting the problem! 

Helen,I am glad they are working again. Sorry I didn't do it sooner but glad it got fixed quickly after I reported it.

Keith

Our scheduled departure was 6:00 pm but we had a slight delay waiting for one of the Crystal tours to arrive back. At 6:00 pm there was bagpipe music to enjoy from our verandah. View video and turn the sound up.

We dined at Waterside.

Dinner was amazing between the cuisine, service, overall ambience of the dining venue plus the scenery of where we were sailing.  The wine was great too. LOL.

As to the wine, we thought a video was in order. It is a wine by Heidi Barrett and there are a few of these with quotes from Winston Churchill.

FE4042AF-ECFB-43DB-9142-66B5356F2137.jpeg.a1262a67806398cf59366e0c8a19c9fb.jpeg

Today we arrived and anchored off Douglas Isle of Man. It is located between Ireland and England. The population is 85,000 people and is a stunning place.

We suspect most people are not familiar with this little island. We never heard of it. We anchored off the capital city of Douglas. The city has a population of 26,000 people.

The city has some museums and some venues that take you back to the past including the Steam Train Station and the Douglas Bay Horst Tramway and Castle Rushen.

Image9-13-24at1_30AM.jpeg.33ae177c7652813eb4d6dabdc15f7848.jpeg

Photos include:

Sunrise this morning.

DA0B0767-8612-42F1-9D76-9710913FBFDD.jpeg.96c213af69337c45643f944e8b3841c7.jpeg

Photo collage of Palm Court

0998096B-FEE0-45EF-B48D-36BE53FE22A5.jpeg.cd9ba9d90489c98fc74cc53147e0eb43.jpeg

It's been another great day.

Cheers,

Keith
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Txcotn said:

Isle of Man is delightful and home of the BeeGees😎

Yes, very special and then Sunday we return to Liverpool for The Beatles.

Two very iconic groups.  While The Beatle was my favorite group of all groups, we really enjoyed the BeeGees, in the 1970's/1980's and Anne Marie went to one of their concerts in our early years of being married at the old Landover Centre in Maryland.

Keith

Lucky you! We love the BeeGees when you go back to Liverpool be sure to do ALL the Beatles stuff. There’s a 2nd site where they have a 4D movie which is lots of fun. Liverpool was much nicer than I expected and the docking place was so convenient. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Txcotn said:

Lucky you! We love the BeeGees when you go back to Liverpool be sure to do ALL the Beatles stuff. There’s a 2nd site where they have a 4D movie which is lots of fun. Liverpool was much nicer than I expected and the docking place was so convenient. 

Thank you.

We have a tour planned with a tour guide who we adored who took us around on our first and only prior visit there. Yes, the docking area is so convenient.

Keith

We enjoyed another wonderful dinner at Waterside.  Although, not listed as a Specialty Restaurant we consider it very special between the outstanding service, delicious cuisine and the beautiful dining venue and the table setting including tablecloths.

As to the food for last night. Amazing appetizers of Jumbo Shrimp and Portobello Mushroom and the Turbot Seafood entree were brilliant. Salad was great too.

The presentation and taste of the food is something you would expect in a Michelin Restaurant in our humble opinion.

Last night was the White Night Party.  For those who have not sailed Crystal many guests dress in all white or something white that evening for dinner and for the party afterwards or just for dinner or just for the party.  We think of the party as a mixer. It is held in the Crystal Cove/Plaza Area.  Cruise Director and Ambassador Hosts are on hand and there is music and dancing and some drinks at the bar have white in their name although you can order whatever you normally enjoy.  

White night began on Crystal on February 16, 2018.  It was that year when Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity did a Full World Cruise. One could sail just on Serenity or Symphony only or sail on one or the other and move to the other ship on the 16th or 17th when both ships were in Sydney, Australia.  It was on the night of the 16th when there was a special White Night Gala on land for the full World Cruisers and the recommended evening attire was indeed white. It was also on that night when White Night was rolled out for the first time on both ships for those returning from the Gala and for those who were on-board each ship and not on the Full World Cruise.  Coincidentally, we were on board for the day as we were in Sydney visiting with family and friends on board invited us to come on-board as visitors. 

Photos included of White Night Party Decorations & the Computer University room with computers. There is another room connected to this area where training is provided.

A collage of the photos of the Paddle Tennis/Pickleball Court, Basketball Hoop inside Paddle/Pickleball/Tennis Court and Putting adjacent to the Paddle Tennis/Pickleball Court.

For many years we would learn about Belfast through print and television news coverage  and much of it has to do with the IRA rather than its rich history. Back then, we would not have imagined visiting here once let alone four times.

This is our fourth time visiting Belfast. This is amazing given our first time was in 2014.    .

Belfast is the capital city of Northern Ireland which is part of the United Kingdom.  The Good Friday agreement of 1998 put this city back on the map for people like us to visit Belfast.  In the 19th century, Belfast was known of shipbuilding which continued into the 20th century and one if not the most famous ship built in Belfast was indeed the Titanic.  

It was following the 1994 ceasefire and the Good Friday agreement that Belfast has benefited greatly including hotel and other financial investment, a popular art center, and the interest in the Titanic including from the popular movie The Titanic.

There is so much to see in this city including the downtown area, the Giant's Causeway, and The Titanic Museum. We have done all three plus visited other area inside and outside the city.

ACAF27A1-8984-41E3-850C-2333BEE703BF.jpeg.6f6b6c777033b41760b366d1528162fa.jpeg

5E694BA6-F60D-4387-A603-E6D350B9BE02.jpeg.8d52dd59388bf7f3ca57984c51a6fee7.jpeg

DSC_1593.thumb.jpg.2c421eba039b6f9713c54df6d50ef7c2.jpg

Image9-13-24at11_28AM.jpeg.01523603225d77906b5a1e0db79a717f.jpeg

IMG_5248.jpeg.0e80ea7b2216683a7f813d632c5313ee.jpeg

AD9581E8-F9EB-453D-8999-36C35A5BC138.jpeg.19fcf229d866e963d7be222c9ac387fd.jpeg

This afternoon we will enjoy Crystal Symphony.

Tomorrow, we look forward to a full day tour in Liverpool with the same guide who took us to many sites related to The Beatles in 2015.

Cheers,

Keith

Image 9-13-24 at 11.36 AM.jpeg

• Like 1

This photo is in honor of Rob.

Each day canapés are served by the butlers to guests in the suites.  They change each day.  We rarely have them and instead have a mid-afternoon snack of fresh fruit.

However, today was an exception as we are dining this evening later than normal.

The description card is adds a nice touch, particularly if the butler arrives and no one is there

Although we didn't have the dessert, if it was as tasty as it looked I am sure it was great.

Cheers,

Keith

IMG_5267.jpeg.748371681ceb116caad6aba26dcf05b3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It was 60 years ago today.

Well it was 60 years ago this year.

The lads showed up in the USA on The Ed Sullivan Show.

I do remember watching them on TV as if it was "Yesterday".

I was too young to appreciate say an Elvis Presley.

For me, it was The Beatles who I first came to appreciate.

So, since we are in Liverpool today and just docked let's go back in time.

Keith

• Like 2

thank you for the videos keith.  they really brought back wonderful memories for me.  i remember watching them on the ed sullivan show and we used to think their long hair was great!  looking back now the hair doesn't seem long at all!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

It was 60 years ago today.

Well it was 60 years ago this year.

The lads showed up in the USA on The Ed Sullivan Show.

I do remember watching them on TV as if it was "Yesterday".

I was too young to appreciate say an Elvis Presley.

For me, it was The Beatles who I first came to appreciate.

So, since we are in Liverpool today and just docked let's go back in time.

Keith

i remember that day and the show

Edited by ctjon

Each afternoon canapés are available for each suite. The selection changes each day. Normally, we do not have this. However, yesterday was one of those exceptions as we were having dinner later than normal. We usually have a mid-afternoon snack of fresh fruit.  I’ve included a photo of the yesterday’s delicacies.

Speaking of food, last evening we were invited to dine at the Osteria Italian restaurant.  As usual cuisine, service, along with the beautiful dining venue was superb in addition to having a great conversation and lots of laughs with our hosts.

On Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity, the Crystal Plaza is on Deck 5. If this was a hotel, think of it as the lobby area.  This area includes concierge, reception, and shore excursion desks.  Depending on the tides, the gangway could be located adjacent to the Plaza.  This is where the two future cruise and loyalty managers meet with guests.  This is where the Crystal Cove which is one of seven lounges on Crystal Symphony is located and where you enter and exit the Waterside Restaurant.  On the side of the concierge desk is a corridor with rooms and also where the Medical Center is located and there are rooms on the side where the Shore Excursion Desk is located.  On occasion, there is a party/mixer held in the Plaza such as White Night and this is where artwork is displayed on the last night of the cruise from the Odyssey of Sea Art Program.  

Last evening, we enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Osteria where we were invited to dine with some very special people.

It is hard to believe that The Beatles arrived to the United States 60f+ years ago, performing on The Ed Sullivan Show. We remember that Sunday evening as if it was "Yesterday".  John, Paul, George & Ringo.  The arrival came less than three months after President John Fitzgerald Kennedy was assassinated and in many ways, America needed a diversion and for many this is what The Beatles provided.  

The major reason for us booking the first of these two back-to-back cruises is today’s visit to Liverpool. 

Today is our second visit to Liverpool. As we mentioned, we visited here in 2015 and tried to visit in 2020 and again in 2021 but both cruises were cancelled due to Covid and to the bankruptcy of the former parent of old Crystal.

Liverpool has a population of 500,000.  It has a long history.  In the 19th century Liverpool was part of the Industrial Revolution.  It had the first timetables passenger railway and the world’s first elevated electrified railway line.  During the 19th Century Liverpool also was home to many shipyards. During WWII, the port city of Liverpool was a target for German bombers taking a great toll on the population including death, injuries and loss of their homes.

The city went through economic hardship following WWII. Years after The Beatles broke up, tourism has been a key catalyst to reviving its economy and a portion of that is due to people like us who want to learn and relive some of the history associated with The Beatles.  

We love The Beatles. We had an amazing tour in 2015 with our tour guide We met Pete Best's (drummer before Ringo Starr) at the Casbah where they performed in Liverpool. We met two members of the Quarrymen who performed with John, Paul and George before the would become The Beatles. We met with Freda Kelly who was head of the Beatles Fan Club. We loved it so much we booked this tour with the same tour guide.

Today, we revisited some of the sites we had seen before plus other sites and there have also been many additions to sites we have seen before including the Strawberry Fields Park. We have found that as tourists we don't always take in and absorb everything the first time around and today reenforced this approach.

We will let the photos give you a feel for what we saw today.

We’ve included a photo with Neil Roberts who oversees the Photo Studios on both Serenity and Symphony and just came on board.  It was so nice to see him. 

Image9-13-24at10_36PM.jpeg.42ffd92d08a1e29290fca871c0daa637.jpeg

Image9-13-24at10_38PM.jpeg.a1dc5ba61cdf68c352381d5f88676750.jpeg

IMG_5267.jpeg.57814a6d2c6a9ecad53318f96c5165d5.jpeg

IMG_5270.jpeg.27527d7c0e1f30f016810e5a0af82978.jpeg

IMG_5276.jpeg.a7c28844a9c9b1c9151c604d066ce01d.jpeg

Image9-14-24at3_41PM.jpeg.f80fcbf0b91a35b9d9d3c411daacbed4.jpeg

IMG_5287.jpeg.3d23f007d969152c7264799a89170eb6.jpeg

Image9-15-24at10_14AM.jpeg.ae550c556004df9804eddc2fb9dcf0c8.jpeg

Image9-15-24at10_16AM.jpeg.b2f6432a8ca78b4834cf3b1b0c26e553.jpeg

18C92ACF-9703-44C7-AABF-C76AF63444D1.jpeg.e531d2e3eb224555d7c8073e228c7687.jpeg

Image9-15-24at10_22AM.jpeg.ed2163668bb5d578ab2180dfefab4050.jpeg

Image9-15-24at10_18AM.jpeg.d189f03c0ad7375aa46afe74ee457b1d.jpeg

Image9-15-24at10_27AM.jpeg.df26dc89ce7e0eb5e07312d2ec2b4415.jpeg

A741C6E4-C370-4792-8591-351555FFAE83.jpeg.07b1cb38f583b6a9dbea8da8d4dcecfa.jpeg

Cheers

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Keith - I remember that TV appearance like it was yesterday. I was in college and one of the girls had about a 9x9inch portable TV (TOTALLY illegal!) and we all crowded around her doorway to just get a glimpse! Such exciting times. I was really an Elvis baby and now we have the Elvis station on our car radio. Our young grandkids insisted that their parents load it too! Now that you have absorbed the Beatles history, do go to Graceland, well worth the time and see what life was like when you were in kindergarten!

Edited by Txcotn
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Txcotn said:

Keith - I remember that TV appearance like it was yesterday. I was in college and one of the girls had about a 9x9inch portable TV (TOTALLY illegal!) and we all crowded around her doorway to just get a glimpse! Such exciting times. I was really an Elvis baby and now we have the Elvis station on our car radio. Our young grandkids insisted that their parents load it too! Now that you have absorbed the Beatles history, do go to Graceland, well worth the time and see what life was like when you were in kindergarten!

Thank you for the idea about Graceland. I will add this to ideas for places to visit in the USA.

That's great about the Elvis channel.

In my case I listen to the Beatles Channel.  

Who would have believe back in the day that we'd have radio channels devoted to Elvis or The Beatles.

Keith

• Like 2