NCL Viva: The Good, The Bad, the DISSAPOINTING: Italy, Turkey, Croatia, and Greece (with hints, tips, and help)

Travel R

2 hours ago, Travel R said:

I am also wondering if it is as much of an issue on the Viva's Caribbean itinerary, which is not as port-extensive (or does not remain in port for such long time periods).

I was on Viva in Caribbean and I thought it was an issue.  On the port days, people return from the beach or wherever during late afternoon and the only place to get food was the grille (or down inside at Local).  We had Vibe passes so we could see the line for the grille snake out it's back door and start working its way up the stairs to the race track.  Happened each port day.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I was on Viva in Caribbean and I thought it was an issue.  On the port days, people return from the beach or wherever during late afternoon and the only place to get food was the grille (or down inside at Local).  We had Vibe passes so we could see the line for the grille snake out it's back door and start working its way up the stairs to the race track.  Happened each port day.  

Thanks for the Carib info.

Hopefully NCL is reading this and other notifications (and complaints) and will make some modifications in the future.

12 hours ago, Travel R said:

2c. Area Sacra di Largo Argentina and the Jewish Ghetto

Since Rome is in effect, an open air museum, there were things to point out everywhere we walked, but due to the heat, I probably only mentioned half of them (or left out all the details).  One place we did stop was at Sacra di Largo Argentina to point out the ruins of some ancient temples as well as the place where Caesar was assassinated. With whatever strength I had, I did discuss the assassination and its myths which were perpetuated by William Shakespeare. [The area is also a cat sanctuary, but due to the heat none were to be found scurrying about.]

Suggestion: You may want to do some research on the Largo Argentina area to at least identify the ruins and what they were used for. In addition, some research on the Assassination of Caesar would also be helpful.  This was the end of the Republic, the start of a Civil War, and the catalyst that brought about the Roman Empire.

We then made it to the Jewish Ghetto and to Nona Betta, where we had lunch reservations.  The place was mostly empty, so we probably did not need reservations.  As an appetizer we tried a mixed platter, which included Carciofi alla guida (Jewish Artichokes), which the restaurant is known for.  To tell you the truth, they were very good. Fried and fattening, but very good. The other appetizers on the plate were also fairly good.  I had a fish dish (cod) for my main entrée, and it was not great, but I was hungry and finished it off, but was not happy with my meal. Neither were my companions.  If I eat in this area again, I will try another place next time.

Before going to our next stop, the Jewish Museum of Rome, we took a quick detour down the road to the fourth oldest bridge in the world (Ponte Fabrico), then walked back to the museum where we went through security (everything went through a scanner and we walked through metal detectors). There was also armed police outside the entryway.

The museum is not very large, but it was interesting.  All of the exhibits included explanatory plaques in both Italian and English. You can easily go through the entire museum in 30 to 45 minutes, although there is a tour that can take you to the old Synagogue (we did not go), which I believe is an extra charge.  Note that the museum is air conditioned and there is a restroom in the back (and vending machines for soda and water).  There are also a few chairs and benches scattered around, and my tired body made use of them.

Next time, take the synagogue tour.  Totally worth the time, effort, and money.  The synagogue is exquisite, and the brief tour is quite informative.