Ketchikan - If You Rented a Car, Please Share Your Experience

MississippiMom

I expected us to book an actual excursion in Ketchikan, but my husband told me this morning that he would really prefer to have the freedom to drive around and take lots of photos of scenery at our own pace.  With a quick search, I found that both Alaska Car Rental and Tongass Car Rental are locally owned and have locations near the docks.  Prices are comparable for a mini-van, but only one Alaska Car Rental offers an SUV, which is our preference, since that’s what we drive at home.  Smaller cars are not a comfortable option due to my husband’s height.

What were your experiences with the car rental company and with driving around on your own?

We have rented from Alaska Car Rental and are using them again on our trip this week. Very good service, nice cars, and so great having your own transportation in and around Ketchikan. There is so much to see and do outside of town. Totem Bight, Saxman, Herring Cove, Lunch Creek, Ward Lake, etc. I could go on and on. And very easy to drive - basically one road on either side of town that dead ends. Get a car and enjoy the natural beauty!

6 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

We have rented from Alaska Car Rental and are using them again on our trip this week. Very good service, nice cars, and so great having your own transportation in and around Ketchikan. There is so much to see and do outside of town. Totem Bight, Saxman, Herring Cove, Lunch Creek, Ward Lake, etc. I could go on and on. And very easy to drive - basically one road on either side of town that dead ends. Get a car and enjoy the natural beauty!

Thank you!  Just what I needed to read.  And I was able to reserve a SUV through Alaskan Car Rental for us.  One thing to check off on the list of things to do.

• Like 1