Casual vs Formal

TexasSmiles

Hi ya'll...

I have a delimia...This will be our first cruise and I have had to beg and plead for several years to get this far. We will be cruisin on the Miracle on 8-20th.

I understand that for the most part casual attire is acceptable for most events. The problem I am facing is the fact my husband refuses to attend formal night if he has to wear a suit coat and or tie. He says he puts his foot down at dressing up for formal night.

I guess I will not get to experience the pleasure and romance of fine dining if he has to dress up. Is there anyone else out there that has had this problem and are there any suggestions regarding formal attire? What about Nick and Nora's? Is formal required there?

I so want to have fun and get the most of this vacation!!

P.S. Why won't my ticker work??? I followed the instructions and tried to make it work 3 times.

I think Nick and Nora's you do need formal attire - it's fine dining.

For formal night, you could always do like lots of others and just show up in whatever. You probably won't get turned away, but I think it's kind of rude. I saw men in shorts and t-shirts eating at formal night on my last cruise.

It's a special occasion, the food is better, wouldn't he just feel more into the experience if he's dressed up a little? Even a sport coat with no tie is preferable to no formal at all. Besides you can take nice pictures when you're both all dressed up.

What does your husband want to wear??? If you go to N&N's on formal night, formal wear is required. It is an upscale restaurant, you should dress appropriately... at least a sport coat (which he can remove when he sits down ;)) Will he at least wear a pair of slacks, shirt and tie?? Try to compromise somewhere... he of course wants to make you happy, and those formal night pictures will last a lifetime. Try to get him to TRY to dress appropriately. He doesn't have to be the most dressed man there, but see if you can pull something out of him... I guess it really depends on what he is wanting to wear...

As for your ticker.. there is a help forum here, with a HUGE thread on countdown clocks.

I too have this problem..I got him to compromise with black slacks, white western shirt and tie. We added a nice vest. He was dressed better than some and the pictures were great. Of course, he wore his boots.. Enjoy your cruise....

Hi ya'll...

I have a delimia...This will be our first cruise and I have had to beg and plead for several years to get this far. We will be cruisin on the Miracle on 8-20th.

I understand that for the most part casual attire is acceptable for most events. The problem I am facing is the fact my husband refuses to attend formal night if he has to wear a suit coat and or tie. He says he puts his foot down at dressing up for formal night.

I guess I will not get to experience the pleasure and romance of fine dining if he has to dress up. Is there anyone else out there that has had this problem and are there any suggestions regarding formal attire? What about Nick and Nora's? Is formal required there?

P.S. Why won't my ticker work??? I followed the instructions and tried to make it work 3 times.

Okay, so a little more info will help here...

Meaning, what does he wear normally, and what is he comfortable in?

If he is really like a Texas good ol' boy, then there are ways to get around this, and still make him look good.

Just random example, (but I can answer better, if I know more details)...

Regular formal night (not at Nick and Nora's), would he wear like black cowboy boots, black jeans, black cowboy shirt, maybe with a bolo tie, or without, and a black cowboy hat?

If you are in a nice dress, and he is working the all black, with the full "attitude", it would totally rock and be original.

Just an example so far, as fashion is all about making it work for your own personality.

I could give you tons more examples on how you can get him to look good (within his contraints), if I know more on what he's comfortable with, and his personality and what he likes wearing normally.

Give us more specifics, and I'm sure that with all of the wonderful people here at Cruise Critic, we can help you figure something out.

Curt Jerome Wild

We have been on seven Carnival Cruises and have seen men wear everything from short sleeved sport shirts and slacks, to polo shirts and slacks to suits, to tuxes. Having said that, my husband and I decided that this was going to be the most relaxing cruise we have ever taken and even with tow formal nights, I am not wearing a gown or cocktail dress. My husband is bringing a sport jacket to wear with slacks a shirt and tie on one night and with a silky knit collarless shirt and dress slacks the second night. I am wearing a dressy top and leggings one night and a pantsuit (crepe) the second night. There is no need for you or your husband to be uncomfortable or for anyone on these boards making you feel uncomfortable. I have never seen anyone thrown out on formal night and your dress is up to you. I assume you will be dressed tastefully. Just relax and have an Awesome cruise. I believe if pople feel they have to wear a tuxedo or suit they can do so on the Celebrity, Crystal or Seabourne lines where they are required. Carnival is casual and that's the way we like it!

(((((HUGS))))) :cool:

SAIL ON...............LEAVE THE WORLD BEHIND!

Hi ya'll...

CLick on my ticker, then follow the instructions. The cut and paste the link in YOUR signature in your profile. That should work!:)

Hi ya'll...

Don't worry, be happy. Let's see how much I can shock some others with my response.

Will you husband wear any kind of slacks and a shirt with a collar? If so, then I don't see a problem.

Don't worry, be happy. Let's see how much I can shock some others with my response.

Will you husband wear any kind of slacks and a shirt with a collar? If so, then I don't see a problem.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

For formal night, you could always do like lots of others and just show up in whatever. You probably won't get turned away, but I think it's kind of rude. I saw men in shorts and t-shirts eating at formal night on my last cruise.

Be aware that sometimes luggage gets lost, on my 2003 Imagination cruise, there was a family that did not get any of their luggage... They came to dinner in shorts and t-shirts the whole cruise. Not everyone can afford or wants to just run out and replace their entire wardrobe.

I am sure that many people thought it was "rude" but until you know someone's story...

Of course that would be a good line to the Matre'd when you walk in with your husband on formal night - lost luggage:eek: he can wear whatever he likes!!!

I just have to say when we went to the supper club on the Spirit we were all dressed up. Men in jackets and ties. We were a little upset to see men in dockers and polo shirts when it says right outside the door formal attire required, tie required for men. Guess if you have the $30.00 they don't care. If he will wear nice slacks and dress shirt/polo shirt he should be fine on formal night.

Candi

Leave hubby be and get a boyfriend for your cruise...make sure he gives you flowers, smiles everytime he is with you, caresses your hand while you are watching the shows,tells you how lucky he is have you in his life and finally have him do a strip for you before you go to bed and then let him finish with some hot sex....oh oh I just woke up...sorry lady I must have been sleepwalking and turned on my computer and replied here by mistake...

Please disregard what i wrote as it is too impossible to believe, right?

I am so embarrassed :>}

Hi ya'll...

We were a little upset to see men in dockers and polo shirts when it says right outside the door formal attire required, tie required for men.

In Harry's in December I had a romantic evening with my DW and would not have even noticed shorts and a bathing suit because I was having such a good time nothing like that would "upset" me.

Sorry it upset you, but in the grand scheme of life, that was no biggy, and again - you never know, this poor fellow may have lost his luggage and the polo was the best he could do - cut people some slack - especially yourself!

I guess it sounded like I was really mad. I just thought it was a little strange when it is posted to wear tie that means tie. My daughters boyfriend was probably the most upset as I made him get all decked out. On the Pride two years ago, a friend I met wanted to go to David's but didn't have a tie and was told no he could not go without one. Guess things have changed.

Candi

My suggestion (from a guy who doesnt like to dress up):

Tell him its fine, but pack something nice for him anyway. After he sees the menu and realizes what he is passing up, he probably will gladly wear a noose around the neck for an evening. I clean up just fine when I know theres a reward for doing so, oh and because the food is good too;).

You will find peoples definition of "formal" differ greatly on these boards alone.

Thanks all....I know that he will wear slacks and a nice polo or shirt. I have decided that maybe after he sees what I will be wearing he will want to go abit dressier. At least knowing that he can wear his slacks and dressier shirt helps me out.

You all are great...this site is awesome. Oh yeah...my passport just arrived so now I am ready. Counting down the days is the hardest!:rolleyes:

Archived