Mendenhall & Whales PHOTOGRAPHY excursion

Vaxine

Has anyone taken the excursion that’s specifically tagged as featuring photography guidance?  How was it?  Do you go up to the waterfall at Mendenhall Glacier?  (I do love photographing waterfalls!)

If this is the "photo safari," it's excellent. I've gone out with this company (Gastineau) three times, once on a regular whale watch and twice on the photo tour. The company uses small boats with large windows that open inward and latch to the ceiling, so there's a good view for everyone. I think the max size for this tour is 14, so there's no jostling for a space with a view. Each humpback has a unique color pattern on the tail, and the crew can recognize the "regulars" in Auk Bay. They also have a book of tail pictures to show how many different whales they've seen. This past July I went with them and we saw Sasha, Flame, and Flame's calf Sizzle. 

There is good photography guidance for those who need it. The first time I did this tour, I was shocked at how many people had spent a lot of money on a DSLR and had no idea what any of the settings were--they might as well have had a $40 point-and-shoot. The guide was great at showing them how to get better pictures by changing the settings to capture the motion of the whales.

The hike part of the tour is about an hour walk in the woods. it does not go to the waterfall. You do get to a point where you can see the glacier and waterfall, but not up close. Here, too, there is photo advice and a discussion of the ecology. One cool part of the hike is the dated markers that show the extent of the glacier in the past. 

• Like 3

Thanks!  (I'm a bit surprised that they don't go to Nugget Falls while at the glacier; you can learn almost everything there is to learn about a camera by photographing a waterfall!)

Edited by Vaxine

7 hours ago, QuattroRomeo said:

We enjoyed it in May. For a few photos and commentary, here is a link to my review for the cruise, starting on page 4 for Juneau.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3010622-live-from-noordam-alaska-may-26-june-9/page/4/#comments

I'm glad you had a good time. I think they do a great job, and those small boats put you at water level for much better pictures. Some of the Hoonah independent companies use small boats like that, too. 

Did you see Flame and her calf? I've seen her three times. It was like seeing an old friend! I love that the calves have names that go with hers. This year's is Sizzle. There's also Ember, Smoke, and my favorite, Bunsen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

There's also Ember, Smoke, and my favorite, Bunsen.

A fellow chemist, perchance?  I'm really looking forward to it.  I'm excited that there were humpbacks in May - I thought it might be a bit early for anything but Orcas.  

1 minute ago, Vaxine said:

A fellow chemist, perchance?  I'm really looking forward to it.  I'm excited that there were humpbacks in May - I thought it might be a bit early for anything but Orcas.  

My teaching days are long behind me, and I didn't teach chemistry (bio and physical science). I have to admit my first thought was Bunsen Honeydew from the Muppets, and then I "got" the connection. I saw Bunsen on my first whale watch! 

On 9/4/2024 at 4:56 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

If this is the "photo safari," it's excellent. I've gone out with this company (Gastineau) three times, once on a regular whale watch and twice on the photo tour. The company uses small boats with large windows that open inward and latch to the ceiling, so there's a good view for everyone. I think the max size for this tour is 14, so there's no jostling for a space with a view. Each humpback has a unique color pattern on the tail, and the crew can recognize the "regulars" in Auk Bay. They also have a book of tail pictures to show how many different whales they've seen. This past July I went with them and we saw Sasha, Flame, and Flame's calf Sizzle. 

There is good photography guidance for those who need it. The first time I did this tour, I was shocked at how many people had spent a lot of money on a DSLR and had no idea what any of the settings were--they might as well have had a $40 point-and-shoot. The guide was great at showing them how to get better pictures by changing the settings to capture the motion of the whales.

The hike part of the tour is about an hour walk in the woods. it does not go to the waterfall. You do get to a point where you can see the glacier and waterfall, but not up close. Here, too, there is photo advice and a discussion of the ecology. One cool part of the hike is the dated markers that show the extent of the glacier in the past. 

This is a great and accurate description of my excursion earlier this year on the 28-day Alaska cruise. We might have been on the same boat!

I wrote about it in detail on my blog: WriterOnDeck

Agree with the others, this (The Glacier and Photo Safari) was a great tour.  The photography info was useful, the tour guide was great, and we had a superb day out on the water with whales, porpoises, orcas and other marine life.  Toss in perfect weather and well....what more could you ask for?