How does the Emporium Marketplace operate?

John117

We board EJ 2 in just over a week and I am curious to know how the marketplace operates. I have read the reviews and watched a lot of YouTube videos but I would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has sailed on EJ 1.

It appears that for the food you have to wait at the serving station until it is prepared and then take it to your table yourself? Does this apply to dishes that have to be cooked (possibly a 5/10 min delay) as well as simple serve on a plate dishes such as salad or fruit? If I understand this correctly then surely there are long lines at some stations?

Drinks I understand are served at your table? Do the waiters come to the tables and take your order? I have seen lots of wine bottles on display at the serving stations?

Any information would be appreciated. 

I was wondering about this as well.

I’ve just booked the May 5th 19 days cruise, departing from Istanbul. Yeah.

As I’m on my own do I need to leave a note on the table if I go back to say, get a salad or some more bread so that the waiter does not take my plate/drink away thinking I’ve finished!  I was thinking it’s not too obvious that I’m still dining if I chose a seat outside.

Edited by Sololux

For the grill station, they will provide you a pager.  On the pasta station, one usually just waits.  It does not take long.  Often I would get a salad and then come back and pick up my pasta.  

We tend to be creatures of habit and got to know the waitstaff in our area.  We sat in the same place almost everyday.  Initially, we would let them know if we weren't done.  The staff easily picks up one habits during the course of the cruise so it we didn't even have to communicate with them by the end of the cruise.  

• Like 2

It can be a problem if you like to have 2 orders from 2 different stations. But if it is not to busy it is oke.

I don't read a lot of problems any more about Explora 1. So Explora 2 must have no problems. 

9 hours ago, John117 said:

It appears that for the food you have to wait at the serving station until it is prepared and then take it to your table yourself? Does this apply to dishes that have to be cooked (possibly a 5/10 min delay) as well as simple serve on a plate dishes such as salad or fruit? If I understand this correctly then surely there are long lines at some stations?

Drinks I understand are served at your table? Do the waiters come to the tables and take your order? I have seen lots of wine bottles on display at the serving stations?

Any information would be appreciated. 

7 hours ago, Sololux said:

As I’m on my own do I need to leave a note on the table if I go back to say, get a salad or some more bread so that the waiter does not take my plate/drink away thinking I’ve finished!  I was thinking it’s not too obvious that I’m still dining if I chose a seat outside.

The Emporium works remarkably well.  There are different stations and areas and it's very evident whether it's an "action" station or a "ready to serve" area.  The main action areas are burgers, wok/stir fry, pasta and grilled fish.  You can also place your order and scope out other items. One never has to wait very long and the results are worth it!  

The rest are more "traditional" but you are always served - no grubby cruiser's hands touching anything!  Make sure that you see all the areas - sushi is sort-of hidden on the port side.

Waiters will circulate with wines, champagne or other beverages. 

It can frankly be difficult in any casual self-serve restaurant to indicate that you're still there. While you could ask someone at a neighbouring table, we usually leave a cap, book or other item to indicate that we haven't left.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1