Mexican Riviera with kids

Kayola

We're sailing to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan in November with our 3 kids (10, 4, 18 months). Our kids are pretty good about being out and about. Any recommendations of excursions or things to do at these ports? We'd like to explore a town/shop one of the days, perhaps a beach day and resort day? We're open to anything kid friendly 🙂

We did the swim with sea lions and Rhythm of the Nights excursions in Puerto Vallarta.  Both were great, though there may be age limits and Rhythm is pricey.

We're cruising in October and plan to do the Observatorio 1873 in Mazatlan, which has an aviary and other things for kids to do.  And it's not too expensive.  We're just going to Uber there and back.

We did the pirate ship excursion in Cabo, which was fun.  We have also just walked around town and did the beach, though be prepared for lots of vendors (which is fine except my nine-year odl daughter wants ALL the things, lol).

There is a pretty good review on the Carnival board from a couple with a toddler.  Might get some good ideas from that post.  Her name is Deladane.

One of the other posts mentioned Rythhm's of the NIght, which is a very well run evening excursion to a private beach area called Las Caletas.  Most cruise lines also offer day time excursions to the same area, Las Caletas, and this is a decent option for families.  At that private location you have a beach, food, services, etc.   You would get to Las Caletas via a boat ride (about 45 min) from the port.  The boats are large, powered catamarans which have facilities including food, drink, and toilet facilities.    You can find more info about Las Caletas by looking on the "Vallarta Adventures" web site (this is the company that leases the facility and operates the excursions).

Hank

On 9/8/2024 at 5:08 PM, Kayola said:

We're sailing to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan in November with our 3 kids (10, 4, 18 months). Our kids are pretty good about being out and about. Any recommendations of excursions or things to do at these ports? We'd like to explore a town/shop one of the days, perhaps a beach day and resort day? We're open to anything kid friendly 🙂

I just found this thread while doing research for our upcoming Mexican Riviera cruise, so thought I'd chime in.  Thanks @jerseygirlinAZ for referencing my review, as I do think it would be helpful to @Kayola.  Last December, we cruised with my then 2.5 year old son, so I mentioned lots of toddler-related info that you might find helpful, especially if you are cruising on Carnival.  Here is a link to the post:

In case you don't want to read the whole thing...

For Cabo, I do not recommend the tour we booked since it was cancelled at the last minute and we didn't even get to do it!  We ended up just walking around the port area and grabbing drinks at one of the restaurants.

For Mazatlan, we had a great day at the all inclusive Hotel Playa Mazatlan.  I would definitely recommend it for your family as it is very kid-friendly and has both beach access and multiple pools with slides (altough a little on the small side for the 10 year old) and a whole kids play area.  We would definitely go back there on a future cruise, but this year, we paid for the drink package on our cruise, so we aren't doing an all inclusive in any of the ports.  Instead, we are going to the brand new aquarium in Mazatlan.  It was our back-up plan last year in case the Hotel Playa Mazatlan fell through, so hopefully my will-be-3.5 year old son loves it as much as I think he will!

For Puerto Vallarta, we went to the zoo in Mismaloya.  It is a bit off the beaten path, located about 45 minutes south of the cruise port, but it was very easy to get there using Uber, and it was a great family-friendly way to spend the day.

I hope that helps!  Let me know if you have any questions!

On 9/8/2024 at 5:08 PM, Kayola said:

You may also want to consider the Dreams resort in PV.  We had an awesome time at it's sister resort last time in PV.  They have good food, pools, beach and in-door kid friendly fun.  YT Dreams and there are a bunch of videos.

Oh... and I so want to do Rhythms of the Night.  Definity looks awesome. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hi,

I visited Mazatlán and Puerto Vallarta in December and I have a few recommendations:

Mazatlán (1.4 miles / 2.3 km walk)

• Visit the Catedral Basílica de la Inmaculada Concepción: A stunning example of neo-Gothic architecture.
  • Tour Plaza República: This lively, lush square is perfect for cooling off in the shade.
  • Explore Angela Peralta Theater: One of the first theaters in Mazatlán, rich in history and culture.
  • Capture Instagram-worthy moments at Casas de Colores: Vibrant, colorful houses perfect for photos.
  • Stroll through Liverpool Alley (Callejón Liverpool): A charming alley reminiscent of the Beatles.
  • Watch the Cliff Divers: Marvel at their daring dives from a 50-foot-high platform.
  • Walk along Mazatlán Malecón: A 13-mile oceanfront boardwalk offering stunning views.

Puerto Vallarta (1.7 miles / 2.7 km walk)

• Stretch your legs at Malecón Boardwalk: Admire the Mexican sculptures along this scenic path.
  • Visit the Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe (Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe): A beautiful and iconic church.
  • Shop at Mercado Municipal Río Cuale: A bustling municipal market with local goods.
  • Relax at La Isla del Río Cuale: A peaceful park perfect for a break.
  • Explore Zona Romántica: A trendy neighborhood popular with the LGBT and expat communities.
  • See the colorful Lázaro Cárdenas Park: A vibrant square full of life. A must see!
  • Enjoy the beaches: There are numerous family-friendly beaches to relax on.

If you’re interested, I’ve written more detailed articles on my personal blog:

Puerto Vallarta: 

http://daydreamunderthestars.com/2023/03/14/a-self-guided-walking-tour-in-puerto-vallarta/

Mazatlán

http://daydreamunderthestars.com/2023/03/28/top-sightseeing-in-mazatlan/

Montage photo panneau d'humeur d'été avec coup de pinceau rose saumon et blanc (2).png

Picture1.png

IMG_3333.jpg

MAPS.png

Edited by Marie.A
Add 1 photo

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2024 at 1:52 PM, deladane said:

I just found this thread while doing research for our upcoming Mexican Riviera cruise, so thought I'd chime in.  Thanks @jerseygirlinAZ for referencing my review, as I do think it would be helpful to @Kayola.  Last December, we cruised with my then 2.5 year old son, so I mentioned lots of toddler-related info that you might find helpful, especially if you are cruising on Carnival.  Here is a link to the post:

In case you don't want to read the whole thing...

For Cabo, I do not recommend the tour we booked since it was cancelled at the last minute and we didn't even get to do it!  We ended up just walking around the port area and grabbing drinks at one of the restaurants.

For Mazatlan, we had a great day at the all inclusive Hotel Playa Mazatlan.  I would definitely recommend it for your family as it is very kid-friendly and has both beach access and multiple pools with slides (altough a little on the small side for the 10 year old) and a whole kids play area.  We would definitely go back there on a future cruise, but this year, we paid for the drink package on our cruise, so we aren't doing an all inclusive in any of the ports.  Instead, we are going to the brand new aquarium in Mazatlan.  It was our back-up plan last year in case the Hotel Playa Mazatlan fell through, so hopefully my will-be-3.5 year old son loves it as much as I think he will!

For Puerto Vallarta, we went to the zoo in Mismaloya.  It is a bit off the beaten path, located about 45 minutes south of the cruise port, but it was very easy to get there using Uber, and it was a great family-friendly way to spend the day.

I hope that helps!  Let me know if you have any questions!

When are you going again?  We'll be on the NYE cruise.  If you go before then, please let me know how you like the aquarium.  We are considering doing that this time around.

26 minutes ago, jerseygirlinAZ said:

When are you going again?  We'll be on the NYE cruise.  If you go before then, please let me know how you like the aquarium.  We are considering doing that this time around.

We are going on a NYE cruise too, but this time on the Discovery Princess.  Are you going on the Panorama again?  Too bad I won't be back in time to let you know how the aquarium works out before your cruise, but I will definitely write up another detailed review in the Princess forum in January if you want to check it out 🙂

19 minutes ago, deladane said:

We are going on a NYE cruise too, but this time on the Discovery Princess.  Are you going on the Panorama again?  Too bad I won't be back in time to let you know how the aquarium works out before your cruise, but I will definitely write up another detailed review in the Princess forum in January if you want to check it out 🙂

Yes, we'll be on the Panorama.  Enjoy your cruise!  Maybe we'll see you in port somewhere.

21 minutes ago, jerseygirlinAZ said:

Yes, we'll be on the Panorama.  Enjoy your cruise!  Maybe we'll see you in port somewhere.

I just checked- looks like I'll be in port with a HAL ship every day, but not the Panorama.  Hope you have a great cruise!