Recent precruise stays in Brooklyn

CU64

We won’t be sightseeing. Flying in from West Coast to board QM2 the following day. 
we either want something low end like Comfort Suites or what about Hilton downtown Brooklyn.

any responses appreciated. Ty

If you are arriving at JFK the TWA Hotel by Terminal 5 is a reasonable place to stay for a night.  Easy to get a taxi or ride share to the port.  Walkable from Jet Blue, short AirTrain ride from American or Delta.

Or, stay in lower Manhattan near the Wall Street ferry terminal. There are some reasonably priced chain hotels nearby.   (The fixed-price price cab fare to Manhattan from JFK can be cheaper than cabs to Brooklyn, I think.) It’s a good neighborhood, full of history.  Walk a couple of blocks, take a $4 ferry ride to the Red Hook terminal, and walk right to the ship.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CU64 said:

We won’t be sightseeing. Flying in from West Coast to board QM2 the following day. 
we either want something low end like Comfort Suites or what about Hilton downtown Brooklyn.

any responses appreciated. Ty

Hilton Brooklyn is my hotel of choice prior to embarking in Brooklyn.  Rooms are pleasant and reasonably sized, breakfast is ok and it’s significantly cheaper than staying in Manhattan. 

We stayed in the Nu hotel (mentioned above) before our trip in August and liked it (i.e., I'd stay there again). Low-key, fairly stylish and comfortable room, plus the continental breakfast and other little nibbles were a nice touch. 

One mild caveat is that the lot across the street from the hotel is where the new Brooklyn borough-based jail is being built (as Rikers is closing).  So on the plus side, currently there's a wide-open space and lots of sunlight (as the building that used to be there is gone...)! On the minus side, there's quite a lot of construction -- we didn't actually notice any noise through the window, but it means taxi drop-off/pick-up was a little disrupted. The Hilton is about a block away and around the corner from the construction site, so shouldn't be much affected.

If you're not planning on sight seeing, I stayed at the Lodge Red Hook hotel. The hotel itself is quite basic, but it's clean and the location is very convenient as it's walking distance to the cruise terminal. There are a few nice restaurants in the neighbourhood too, I highly recommend Bar Mario if you enjoy Italian food. You can also easily walk to the waterfront and see the statue of liberty.

14 hours ago, space oddity said:

We stayed in the Nu hotel (mentioned above) before our trip in August and liked it (i.e., I'd stay there again). Low-key, fairly stylish and comfortable room, plus the continental breakfast and other little nibbles were a nice touch. 

One mild caveat is that the lot across the street from the hotel is where the new Brooklyn borough-based jail is being built (as Rikers is closing).  So on the plus side, currently there's a wide-open space and lots of sunlight (as the building that used to be there is gone...)! On the minus side, there's quite a lot of construction -- we didn't actually notice any noise through the window, but it means taxi drop-off/pick-up was a little disrupted. The Hilton is about a block away and around the corner from the construction site, so shouldn't be much affected.

Thanks for the construction information.  Noted.

16 hours ago, sucramdi said:

If you're not planning on sight seeing, I stayed at the Lodge Red Hook hotel. The hotel itself is quite basic, but it's clean and the location is very convenient as it's walking distance to the cruise terminal. There are a few nice restaurants in the neighbourhood too, I highly recommend Bar Mario if you enjoy Italian food. You can also easily walk to the waterfront and see the statue of liberty.

Thank all of you for taking the time to respond. Very helpful.

we might just do Red Hook Lodge if available. Hilton Brooklyn won’t take reservation, yet, for next year. 

22 hours ago, CU64 said:

Thank all of you for taking the time to respond. Very helpful.

we might just do Red Hook Lodge if available. Hilton Brooklyn won’t take reservation, yet, for next year. 

What about the Ace Hotel?