Food Allergies

Keith1010

Anne Marie has allergies to two different types of fruit.  

In the past, I have not noted them on the pre-cruise guest documents as part of "My Account".

I did this time and wanted to share the experience.

On the day of embarkation we received a letter to the room addressed to Anne Marie acknowledging notification of food allergies and noting that we could speak with the Executive Chef about them. While we didn't do that at each restaurant we have dined at upon taking the food order each waiter knew about food allergies and without us saying anything mentioned this to Anne Marie and verified with the chef whether or not the two types of fruit were in any of the recipes.

Well done Crystal.

I thought sharing this with those of you with food allergies would be helpful.

Keith

• Like 6

Great news.  This has been the case on old Crystal.   As an unfortunate celiac I have to avoid all foods with gluten.   It includes traditional soy sauce and other things non celiac people never consider.   I am hoping for safe and delicious travels on NC.

This is good information to have.

My wife is allergic to hazelnuts.  We noted this several years ago when we were taking an Azamara cruise and the practice they followed was similar to that outlined above.  However the next cruise we took was on Oceania and they made a big deal of it -- requiring my wife to visit the health center and certify in writing that she had reviewed the menus before dining.  So intrusive that we never filled out the information again and just asked in advance.  But the Crystal approach sounds much better -- good to know in advance of our cruise in 6 weeks!

• Like 2

I wanted to add something that I had not thought about until last evening.

We each had a dinner salad and it contained a variety of fruit including blueberries, figs and strawberries.

Not only was Anne Marie's served without strawberries but they used a separate bowl to prepare her salad because she is allergic to strawberries. This makes sense but something I hadn't even thought about.

Just sharing this as I know this is a subject which comes up from time-to-time.

As to the salad, it was terrific and I think the first time I saw them add blueberries to a dinner salad.

Keith

• Like 2