Online checkin when NOT boarding the ship at the start of the cruise

SSCAF001

I will cruise on Oceania Marina from Bordeaux departing September 24. This cruise will start in Southampton on September 22, but I received the authorization from Oceania to get on the ship in Bordeaux. Since I have paid for the entire duration of this cruise, my online booking in the system still shows Southampton as port of embarkation and it seems Oceania is not able to modify it to show Bordeaux as the embarkation port. Fair enough. The problem is that I receive now multiple reminders to do the online checkin which I cannot since I will not board in Southampton. and the last reminder received this morning warns that I may be denied boarding if I do not do the online checkin 72 hours before the start of the cruise. "All guests are required to complete Online Check-In no later than 72 hours prior to sailing. If they do not complete the Online Check-In process, they will not receive a Boarding Pass and may ultimately be denied boarding."

One representative of Oceania I have contacted mentioned in an email that I will do the checkin at the pier in Bordeaux, but I am a little scary now with the message received this morning.

Are there some CC members who have been in the same situation as me? Did you ignore the online checkin reminders and were you able to checkin at the pier?

Thanks for your feedback!

10 minutes ago, SSCAF001 said:

I will cruise on Oceania Marina from Bordeaux departing September 24. This cruise will start in Southampton on September 22, but I received the authorization from Oceania to get on the ship in Bordeaux. Since I have paid for the entire duration of this cruise, my online booking in the system still shows Southampton as port of embarkation and it seems Oceania is not able to modify it to show Bordeaux as the embarkation port. Fair enough. The problem is that I receive now multiple reminders to do the online checkin which I cannot since I will not board in Southampton. and the last reminder received this morning warns that I may be denied boarding if I do not do the online checkin 72 hours before the start of the cruise. "All guests are required to complete Online Check-In no later than 72 hours prior to sailing. If they do not complete the Online Check-In process, they will not receive a Boarding Pass and may ultimately be denied boarding."

One representative of Oceania I have contacted mentioned in an email that I will do the checkin at the pier in Bordeaux, but I am a little scary now with the message received this morning.

Are there some CC members who have been in the same situation as me? Did you ignore the online checkin reminders and were you able to checkin at the pier?

Thanks for your feedback!

Contact the O staff who sent you the email saying OK for the new embark port and ask for direction in writing as to what do do about online check in and what to have in hand for embark in the different port.

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Contact the O staff who sent you the email saying OK for the new embark port and ask for direction in writing as to what do do about online check in and what to have in hand for embark in the different port.

Thanks. Unfortunately this is an automated email you cannot reply to. I have already contacted an O staff and received a single sentence stating that I will do the checkin at the pier. Fine. I am just not comfortable receiving the message that I could be denied boarding the ship. I think everything will get fine. I just wanted to get some feedback from others having experienced the same situation.

1 minute ago, SSCAF001 said:

Thanks. Unfortunately this is an automated email you cannot reply to. I have already contacted an O staff and received a single sentence stating that I will do the checkin at the pier. Fine. I am just not comfortable receiving the message that I could be denied boarding the ship. I think everything will get fine. I just wanted to get some feedback from others having experienced the same situation.

I’d still write back to whoever sent you the one-liner and ask for clarification re:

a) ignoring the auto letter you later received about the original port checkin and

b) what should you have in place of a  boarding pass for the original embark port

c) should you complete the online checkin anyway.

Remember: if it’s not in writing, you have zero proof when the “poop hits the fan.”

• Like 2

You can take small comfort from the fact that I recall reading on these boards that in prior years, some elderly cruiser refuses to carry smart phone or use a computer and doesn’t do the online check-in. If I recall correctly, they were not denied boarding.
But protocols and procedures change, so what worked in the past might not work for you.

I think you’ve gotten good advice here that you need something in writing from Oceania that will document and demonstrate that you have the right to embark in Bordeaux.
Enjoy your cruise, and let us know how it goes for you. 

11 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I’d still write back to whoever sent you the one-liner and ask for clarification re:

a) ignoring the auto letter you later received about the original port checkin and

b) what should you have in place of a  boarding pass for the original embark port

c) should you complete the online checkin anyway.

Remember: if it’s not in writing, you have zero proof when the “poop hits the fan.”

Thanks. I will do that.

4 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

You can take small comfort from the fact that I recall reading on these boards that in prior years, some elderly cruiser refuses to carry smart phone or use a computer and doesn’t do the online check-in. If I recall correctly, they were not denied boarding.
But protocols and procedures change, so what worked in the past might not work for you.

I think you’ve gotten good advice here that you need something in writing from Oceania that will document and demonstrate that you have the right to embark in Bordeaux.
Enjoy your cruise, and let us know how it goes for you. 

Thanks. The letter from Oceania confirming that I can board in Bordeaux, I have it! My point is only regarding the online checkin process in my case. I will contact O again to get a written answer from them detailing what I have to do in my case. 

• Like 1

SSCAF001,

You may want to find out if you can get a boarding pass to have in hand.  I don't know about Bordeaux, but there are some ports where the local authorities will not let you enter the terminal without said document.  Barcelona and Miami come to mind.

Fingers crossed everything works out well for you.

Thanks for the advice. There is no cruise terminal in Bordeaux. Just a security area around the ship. Should be no problem. I will let you know next Tuesday afternoon.