What to Do at Icy Strait Point?

sassycassie

Has anyone experienced any of the shore activities at Icy Strait Point? I was wondering what folks have done or are planning for this “new” port of call. Seems the only shore excursions available are those arranged by the cruise line. Is this new stop sort of a “company” port for the cruise lines? Anyway, please let us know what you have already experienced, or intend to do when your cruise ship pulls into Icy Strait!! We are on Celebrity's Summit southbound June 24 sailing and will stop at Icy Straint Point on June 28.

Sassycassie (Roy and Ginny)

Hi Sassycassie! We have booked Keith with http://www.teckkoutfitters.com He is very flexible and we are spending the whole day with him and his brother. I was lucky because I had to cancel my first cruise but rebooked a different sail date, and he was available. He is super nice and is a native of the area. He made wonderful suggestions for our day.

Good luck with you quest. I don't think you would be disappointed with this outfit.

The thread mentioned above is the best place to find out about what ISP and Hoonah are about. It is not a company port in that the local tribal organization is doing all the development and operation of ISP. This is an island with about 850 people living in the town of Hoonah. ISP is the new dock, port area that has been renovated and made into visitor area. Most of the residents work with the cruise lines for days in port. They limit it to one ship per day and I think there are 76 calls in 2006.

Most of the excursions are run thru the cruise lines. There are a few charter boats who do fishing or whalewatching tours independently. There are also a few adventurer guides who will take private groups, again as mentioned above. Go to the Hoonah site to check out other info plus the long thread above.

Thank you copperpenny, MrBassBone and John Q. What a super and quick response. As you folks noted, the thread about Icy Point gives much information and background. This will take care of all our questions. You can always depend on CC folks to come through. Thanks again!!

Sassycassie (Roy)

It's interesting you get recommendations for tours before they are taken. :) But I have gone with Keith Skaflestad and am the one who has recommended his tours on this board. :)

But be well aware- it isn't a "polished" tour. Plenty of ad lib fun to be had.

Best thing about this experience, is we've kept in touch,AND he did not know who I "was" when I went with him, even though we got hooked up through my naturalist friend. :) He called me last week, just to say hello and wondering when I was coming back. :) We email frequently. Just a wonderful guy, in my opinion.

Budget Queen - what do you mean by your statement "and he didn't know who I was"???????

"Budget Queen"

I have been significant in the success of many Alaska businesses, but all my recommendations come from being a first hand, fully paying reqular customer. Believe it or not, I am fairly well known and have been solicited from a few business for recommendations, which I never consider.

It's really kind of sad as I went with the words of this board and it didn't work out at all. I tried numerous times and he never got back to me and then he wouldn't talk on the phone and said he'd call back and I never hear from him and then I recieve an email saying that his computer crashed and he can't respond but I wonder how he can email me if the computer crashed. Haven't heard fron him since but don't figure I will as I am looking elsewhere for inspiration! Wish the rest of you well but I am done!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

ZZ: I find this really hard to believe. Keith has been very responsive to me, including calling me back several times and leaving messages on my answering machine. Although we haven't met yet, I can say he is a very kind, interesting fellow and we look forward to our tour with him!:D

Archived