28 year old 2* Mariner compares HAL to Royal Caribbean

FlaMariner

On 9/20/2024 at 9:56 AM, wdw1972 said:

My son grew up cruising HAL starting around age 11, so that's what he knew. He's an only child and was used to being around adult company. I always rented the tux package for him so on formal nights he was properly dressed. On land I made him order from the kids' menu but on a cruise he could eat whatever he wanted, and that ended up including escargot, jumbo shrimp, lobster, steaks, etc - all the adult stuff.  He enjoyed Club HAL, with the limited # of kids generally meaning they got to decide each day what the activities would be. Before dinner we'd sit in the Ocean Bar and watch the couples dancing - me enjoying the cocktail of the day, him the mocktail of the day. After dinner we went to whatever show was in the World Stage. He loved it all. I was younger then too (almost 30 years ago) and we really enjoyed the older passengers.

At age 13 I threw a Disney cruise into the mix - I remember him asking me if his future cruises could please be on HAL. His reason - too many kids! As a young adult he did a Carnival cruise with a bunch of buddies. I assumed he'd love it - drinking, eating, partying - he was in the demographic.  He came back saying it sucked - lousy food, drunk/obnoxious passengers, just really tacky overall. 

A couple years later he & his girlfriend booked a 7-day Eurodam cruise, where he proposed at the Pinnacle Grill. They'll be on Nieuw Amsterdam in Alaska next year to celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary. Other than a couple Disney cruises they've done with their son (he's 8 now), they seem to be fine with HAL!

Sue/WDW1972

Beautiful story. Thank you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Quantum of the Seas docked next to the Noordam in Sitka this week. The line of people getting off the Quantum and waiting for the shared shuttles into town was INSANE!!!!! 😬

It certainly helps you appreciate the concerns of the residents of the small towns that get overrun by cruise ship passengers when there are several ships in town. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2024 at 11:05 AM, Infi said:

I grew up on cruise ships (first cruise at 18 months old and many more since) and am now in my 30s. Started sailing HAL 15 years ago and love the experience. The unique itineraries, fabulous crew, high quality food and service, and little touches are what make HAL my favorite line and keep me coming back for more cruises. In fact, the main issue I've encountered on HAL are passengers older than me making snarky comments about my age or asking why I chose to sail on "an old person's cruise line". 

This whole post is enlightening but the last point made in the first paragraph grabbed my attention. I have sometimes thanked young adults and parents who bring their young children for lowering the average age, for the benefit of all. Is that snarky? I hope not, but if it is I'll retire it to the home for off-the-mark jokes.

When an executive was being transferred from the New York office to the LA office, the senior-most executive remarked, in the toast he offered at the farewell reception, that the move was going to have a positive effect on the average IQ of the executive teams at both offices.

On 9/21/2024 at 7:48 PM, MaxThrusters said:

If I could convince family or friends to join us on a cruise, I would certainly consider one of the mega ships just for them, if I thought they would like that better. Easier to herd cats than get people to join in though! I've literally offered friend/family members a FREE cruise as 3rd in a cabin and got excuses like "oh what if I don't like it, and am trapped on a ship' or some such. Sigh

An alternative outlook..

I remember the anxiety I had after being a loyal CCL cruise for years and trying....NORWEGIAN! GASP!!! Oh the HORROR! Pssst....I loved it! Then came Holland America...will I be bored to DEATH? Of course not,  In fact our cruise on the previous Rotterdam was one of our favorite cruises.  Oh yeah that ship was broken down and could hardly float or so was said when we boarded! Of course it wasn't..

I have learned over the years to not knock it until you've tried it. I think every so-called cruiser should try one of the large ships and prob none better than an Oasis class.  We have really enjoyed every cruise we've taken on an Oasis class ship(several) and NCL Breakaway/Breakaway Plus ships(several). Reading things here and there, only a fool would ever get on one because of the SIZE and the CROWDS. And you'll notice both getting back on the ships at ports and when disembarking.  OTHERWISE, they are just plain fun. Boredom is a thing of the past.  You can''t hep but be in awe after watching a show at the Aqua-Theater or even one at the ice rink.  The cruise is worth it just because of those. Not to mention the vast number of dining options. Deck chairs you ask? There are vacant deck chairs all over the place. Both Royals Suite Class and NCL Haven are excellent products too. And yes,,,the ocean is still there and of course you can see it!

This is coming from someone that was last on Jewel of the Seas, will be on Rotterdam in November, Regal Princess in January, Explora I in March, and NCL Jade later in the year. I have do doubt I will enjoy each and every cruise! My glass is always at lest half full!

• Like 3