Spa observations/questions

I've been cruising since 2007. My how time flies by! Except for one RCL cruise I'm always a regular at the spa/thermal suite. I've taken several MSC cruises and most on Carnival.

When I started cruising the spa therapists, including hair stylists wore a comfortable uniform with their choice of short or long pants. Spa management dresses business professional. Since around 2013 or so the spa therapists' uniforms seem stiffer, less comfortable. Gone are the shorts. Any reason why the changes? Of course, the therapists always wore a clean pressed uniform. You'd think especially on Caribbean cruises you'd want your staff as comfortable as possible while maintaining professionalism. How do the spa therapists dress on RC and the other cruise lines? MSC's therapists have uniforms identical to Carnivals.

I'm never sure, are the spa employees hired and paid by the cruise lines or, independent contractors working under Elemis or Steiner.