Hammam in Istanbul with "waiting room" for spouse?

I would like to experience a hamman while we're in Istanbul before our cruise in April, but my husband has no interest at all. Are there any hammens that have comfortable areas for one person to wait while another experiences the hamman? A café area would be fine, too, as long as they'd let him relax and read for that length of time (he'd be willing to buy a drink or snack if required). I would probably be going in the evening after sightseeing, if that makes any difference. TIA!

22 hours ago, amtatom said:

Are there any hammens that have comfortable areas for one person to wait while another experiences the hamman?

We only visited one and don't remember any "waiting area". We were both customers and at the end met in the  unisex entrance hallway  at a pre-arranged time.

What you could do, is choose one in a busy area where there are cafes nearby.

If you decide to do this and it will be your first experience of a hamman, before going,do search online for the proper "hamman etiquette" to give you an understanding of what to expect.😁

There are two types of hammams I'm familiar with in Istanbul. One type are the "traditional" ones, often housed in old traditional buildings. They're not like a modern spa sort of place and I don't know of any that would have a waiting room or a cafe. However, if you want the "real" hammam experience, that's where I'd go. 

The three I know of are all located in areas that should have a cafe or restaurant nearby, but not in the building itself. (These are in the Sultanahmet area or close by, the oldest and most traditional part of the city.)

Some nice hotels also offer a hammam experience, which, from the pics I've seen, are more spa-like. I don't know much about those, because they don't appeal to me, but if you're really interested, you can google and see what you can find. I'm pretty sure they accept customers who are not staying in the hotel itself.

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

There are two types of hammams I'm familiar with in Istanbul. One type are the "traditional" ones, often housed in old traditional buildings. They're not like a modern spa sort of place and I don't know of any that would have a waiting room or a cafe. However, if you want the "real" hammam experience, that's where I'd go. 

The three I know of are all located in areas that should have a cafe or restaurant nearby, but not in the building itself. (These are in the Sultanahmet area or close by, the oldest and most traditional part of the city.)

I agree with all of this. For anyone expecting a more typical modern  "spa-like" experience, the traditional ones are not the ones to choose but the traditional  ones would be more likely to have the original, wonderful architectural features , which are themselves part of the overall experience, and if you want "authentic" this is where to go.

Our one and only visit was to the CAGALOGLU hammam in Sultanahmet, but there are others in the area including Cemberlitas, and you could read online reviews for "Sultanahmet hammams" to help you decide which.There are many cafes in the neighbourhood where your husband could wait unless you can persuade him that this is a "one off"  experience he should try for himself and one which he will always remember.

You should read reviews anyway as you want to be sure that the one you choose has high standards.

Edited by edinburgher