First Time On Millenium

ispendmoney

We'll Be On The Millie In Oct. To The Med. And Want To Know The Difference In The Concierge Class Cabins And Balconycabins. What Are The Additional Amenities??? Also, Since This Is A 12 Niter There Will Probably Be 3 Or 4 Formal Nites. What Are The Women And Men Wearing These Days.

You can find the info on celebrity.com. The cabin is slightly longer (192 sq ft vs 172 ft in veranda), has a slightly larger balcony which can accommodate up to 3 for breakfast on a dressed table, special cc breakfast menu which your steward will bring you and you may eat on the balcony (some items you won't find elsewhere on the ship), the sofa will have throw pillows, the balcony chairs are padded, the bedding is better, you have a pillow menu from which to choose, there are flowers in the cabin and bathroom, the towels and bath mat are better quality, robes provided are nicer, free bottle of bubbly and a basket of fruit will be awaiting you when you board, canapes will be served before dinner each night, you have a special line for checking in whether or not you've done the on line checkin. If there's a crowd, they'll call suites and cc and elite captain's club people to board first, there's a pair of binoculars and a sewing kit in the room, the free tote bag is water proof instead of the cloth one provided to everyone else, but may not be presented until the last night.

Divide the difference in price per person by the number of nights of the cruise to find out how much extra you'd be paying for CC each day to see if it's worth it to you. And of course your traveling partner would be paying the same extra amount.

Most people think that if it's more than $100 pp it's not worth it. It's up to you. But if that's a 10 night cruise....it may be.

There are 3 formal nights on a 12 night cruise. There are also 3 informal nights and 6 casual nights.

According to Celebrity

A gentleman's choice for casual nights includes a sport shirt and slacks, while women will be comfortable in a pants suit, skirt and blouse, or casual dress.

On informal nights, men are requested to wear a jacket, shirt and tie, while women may want to wear a suit or dress.

For the formal nights, including the Captain's Welcome Aboard Cocktail Party, dinner on the second night, and the Captain's Farewell Dinner held the next-to-last night of the cruise; both men and women may prefer more dressy attire, such as an evening gown for women and a tuxedo or dress suit for men.

We haven't done Europe yet due to our back to back Med-trans being reduced to just a trans because the ship was put in drydock between the two cruises. But on our past transatlantics, I noticed that a majority of men wore tuxes and there were a large percentage of women who wore long dresses for formal nights. Quite a few men wore suits for informal nights with sports jackets for casual nights.

Hey,

I am doing the same cruise as yours in May and the 14 night version in November. It is the most amazing trip on the most amazing ship (I did a similar cruise on Millennium in 2004). You will love every second of your time onboard and will be treated to the best service a cruise ship can offer. I am also in CC grade cabins for both cruises, and look forward to the great room service breakfasts. Dont forget you can order food from the main restaurant menu to be delivered to your cabin during restaurant hours :) So a fancy lunch or dinner on the balcony is easily achieved.

Any questions feel free to ask me

Ian :D

Hey everyone - thank you for all of your helpful info. I'm really looking forward to this trip. One more thing, if you are doing the Med. cruise did you find that the excursions that the ship offers is better than doing something on your own????

Well it depends on the port - try to do some homework - read thru posts on the port board. You may also want to visit Fodor's website - the Europe forum. Some ports like Rome or Florence would probably be maximized by taking a ship tour or arranging a private guide. But others like Venice would be very pleasant on your own.

ispendmoney--

When are you sailing? We're on the Millie Oct 5 BCN to Venice. Look at the rollcall boards to meet others who are sailing with you. I found guide info on the Europe board here. This is not our first trip to Europe, but our first cruise to Europe so I've been searching and planning for weeks now. Enjoy the process!!!

I'm going to be on the October 17 Venice to Barcelona Millenium cruise. We have a thread under the roll call board. If those are your dates, look us up and don't forget to sign up for the Cruise Critic Party.

Hey everyone - thank you for all of your helpful info. I'm really looking forward to this trip. One more thing, if you are doing the Med. cruise did you find that the excursions that the ship offers is better than doing something on your own????

Hello ispendmoney. baesue here. My wife and I took the Millie last summer from Venice to Barcelona and it was one of the best trips we have ever taken. We also had CC cabins and they were fine. Friends of ours, took the trip before us and they had Concierge class cabins. After comparing notes, we decided the extra cost was not worth the additional amenities we were getting. So, its up to you if you want to spend the extra money.

With regard to private excursions v ships excursions. This too was our concern. Someone recommended "limoinrome.com" to us. I thoroughly checked it out before booking. The price is slightly more expensive than the ships excursions, but if you can find 1 other couple to share the excursion with you, then it will actually be cheaper than the ships excursions. On another note, when you take the ships excursions, your on a big bus and you have to wait for all of the lollygagging of the other passengers. Additionally you can't really get close the the exhibits as there will have to be a lot of walking. With the private excursion, your in a 6 passenger limo and you get right up to the exhibit and you leave when you want to leave, not waiting for 48 other people to get to the bus.

I do suggest you go to the website and read his testimonals. It was without a doubt the BEST experience we have ever had and I would not hesitatae to use him again or recommend him to others.

baesue

Barry - thank you for the info on the tours - we're traveling with another couple so taking a private tour may be the way for us to go. Also, did you take private tours at all the cities on the cruise????

We did a private tour in Villafranch and Athens. I'll find my info and tell you who we used. As for Claudio (limoinrome.com), we flew into Rome and spent 3 days there. He met us at the airport and gave us 2 days of touring in Rome and the surrounding countryside. On the 3rd day we went to the airport for our flight to Venice. Our only complaint is that we didn't allow ourselves enough time in Venice. It's a beautiful city and we only allowed ourselves 1 day. Anyway when you go to Dubrovnick, pray for cool weather. It's a walled city and if its hot, there is absolutely no air circulating. Setting that aside, it was really nice. Athens, the monuments are a must but there was not much else. Santorini we would go back on a minutes notice. We took a bus up from the caldera to the town going to both sides of the island. A group of people organized a boat trip which stopped at a beach with snorkling. We tried to get into the group but it was already sold out. This was the only port we did a tour through Celebrity. Naples, Claudio met us to some small towns towards the Almalfi coast line then over to Pompeii and had us back to the ship in plenty of time. While we sailed from Naples to Rome, he drove and met us there for additional touring of Rome. While we sailed from Rome to Livorno (Pisa/Florence), he met us there and took us to Florence and Pisa. The thing we liked most about Claudio was that he took us to places that the tours don't ordinarily go to and to restaurants for lunch where he takes his family to eat. In Villafranche we went towards the Italian boarder, I don't remember the name of the town, but it was quite impressive being on the French side of the Italian Alps.

If you look at my profile, click prior posts and check out those concerning the Millie.

If you need any more info, just ask.

baesue

Hi I am also booked on the 17th cruise.We are Jim and Jane and we are traveling with another couple .I have some private tours booked already,if you need any help let me know

Thank you.. What cities did you book private tours and what is the name of the tour company????

Baesue.... we are on the same cruise as you and also our second Millenium cruise to Europe. We have booked Claudio already - we booked him a year ago for this cruise and already have our tour (6) fully booked for Rome. We have also booked him for Livorno, but this year we are going to explore Tuscany with him not Florence/Pisa which we did last time. This time we'll be doing Siena and San Gimignano, we want to have a real Tuscan experience! If you're interested in joining us we have room left for 1 couple - there are currently 4 of us booked. Let me know if you're interested. Speak to you over on the Roll call board!

Baesue.... we are on the same cruise as you and also our second Millenium cruise to Europe. We have booked Claudio already - we booked him a year ago for this cruise and already have our tour (6) fully booked for Rome. We have also booked him for Livorno, but this year we are going to explore Tuscany with him not Florence/Pisa which we did last time. This time we'll be doing Siena and San Gimignano, we want to have a real Tuscan experience! If you're interested in joining us we have room left for 1 couple - there are currently 4 of us booked. Let me know if you're interested. Speak to you over on the Roll call board!

We would love to return to Italy, however, I was only giving "ispendmoney" tour info. Unfortunately, we are not returning to Italy; we are waiting to see what Celebrity has to offer regarding the British Isles. Any suggestions? Anyway, give my regards to Claudio.

baesue

Thank you for the info on the tours. If you don't mind me asking, was the cost of having Claudio at various locations expensive??? and did you feel it was well worth it????

Claudio was worth every penny we paid. Like I said in my earlier post, you will have to reserve the entire limo and the cost of the limo will be more expensive than the cost of celebrity excursions. However, if you can get 1 other couple to join you, the cost of the limo does not change, and it usually breaks down to being less the cost of celebrity's excursions. Check out his website "limoinrome.com". He has all of his tours posted along with his costs. If you use him, give him my regards.

Also, check his testimonal pages as well as the posts by zebra on this board. Apparently they have used him in the past and have elected to use him again when then return to Italy this summer.

baesue

When we did this trip in 04, we booked nearly every tour ourselves, and would do it again in a heart beat. You can customize your sites and they are very flexible (when in florence, our driver nearly had a fit when we said we where not going to visit David, he convinced us otherwise, AND called ahead and reserved a time and tickets!) You can also get more sites in and set your own schedule. Absolutely first rate. It is a little more expensive (but not to much, especially in Rome, Florence and Greece) Our thought was that we wanted this to be something special (how often can you take a 30 day cruise?) and we decided to make the best of it. If you can afford a little more, I highly recommend it.

If you would like to email me I will tell you who I have booked ...I also have some room on my tours If you are interested:)

I dont know if we are allowed to say it on here anymore

jjssitters@yahoo.com

and I don't know if you would have room for us. We started out with another couple and then another one is deciding if they want to go too. I appreciate the offer and will email you for the information on who you booked. Thanks s000000 much!!!!!:)

Hey Mary & Joy…

ispendmoney….Come on over and join our rollcall…....Some of the posting are old and some folks are no longer with us but it will help you to get acquainted with some of your fellow shipmates….....….Debbie

and I don't know if you would have room for us. We started out with another couple and then another one is deciding if they want to go too. I appreciate the offer and will email you for the information on who you booked. Thanks s000000 much!!!!!:)

you are very welcome I look forward to hearing from you:)

Archived