Is the cost of excursions covered?

happy2bee

I just booked a European cruise for next summer.  I am purchasing trip insurance, but not thru the cruise line.  If I start adding things to the cruise like wi-fi and excursions, and have to cancel, is that refunded by the cruise line since it wasn't used?  Should I include the price of these things when considering how much to insure the trip for?  Thanks for any guidance.

Edited by happy2bee

Hey...

Good question, but this will depend on the cruise line and their cancellation policy.

With the information you have offered, we likely cannot help you.

Here is my thinking on the matter.

Once you get to final payment, the cruise lines all impose penalties for cancellation.  You might lose 25% of your paid fare between 90 and 120 days and 50% between 60 and 90 days...?

This may or may not include the cost of excursions.

The cruise line that we sail the most, allow you to cancel shore excursions up to 48 hours in advance, so cancelling the entire cruise would suggest that you get that cash back, regardless of what the penalties are for the cruise itself.

Wifi - that is another story.  Some cruise lines include this in a package with alcohol and other amenities.... can you cancel this before sailing?  I don't know.  You will have to ask these questions of your cruise line and read their cancellation policy language.

Share with us the cruise line you are going on, final payment date, cruise date, and then what the penalties are for cancellation of the cruise.  

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, trtog7 said:

Just cancelled a cruise fir December due to medical problems. Got cost of shore excursions from the cruise line. Also got a percentage of fare and will send rest to cancellation insurance

This is exactly what I would expect from any cancellation with excursions.

With Viking that we sail, you can cancel the excursion (fully paid) up to 48 hours in advance, so provided you are cancelling at least that far in advance you would be guaranteed that money back from Viking.

This is another reason that you should always be looking at insuring the non-refundable costs only.

You could have hundreds of dollars tied up in shore excursions and if you insure these then the cost of your insurance goes up.  This is where we "hedge" always on insurance.  We insure only the cost of the non-refundable.