Alaska in May

Over from NZ

Will likely be our first and only trip to Alaska/US. We like the look of this tour, however it is in May. The cruise portion is mid-May and with Princess. We'd love to see Whales again if possible.. but Bears and dog-sledding would be our 2 main interests on the cruise (Glaciers and the scenery obviously a given). Are we silly looking at May? I'm thinking the reason the package is being offered and is reasonably priced.. is it maybe the edge of the season and not as optimal for seeing things? I'm just about to start doing all my homework and will do lots of reading.. but any tips appreciated. Usually we book our own excursions outside of the ship - is this safe to do in Alaska?

https://mycruises.co.nz/cruise/princess-california-highlights-tour-alaskan-wonders-cruise-2026/

T.I.A.

The weather in Alaska is unpredictable! We have been there in May, June, July and August and each year we go it is different.  I would give you the advice if you want to go in May, GO. Just prepare for anything. Alaska is a magical place and well worth getting wet, being cold, or even hot! I am going this year in September and will take everything from rain gear to cold weather gear. Just enjoy every minute.

• Like 1

I usually go in May and it is my preferred month. Historically it is the dry month but there are a to of exceptions in Alaska and come prepared for rain any month.

Whales are likely in Juneau. Pretty much guaranteed.

Bears - while I always luck out and see one in May, they are not out in masses because the salmon are not running. 

Dog sledding on a glacier is $$$$. Save up for it. Dog sledding on wheels/gravel is also available.

Endicott Arm is probably accessible in May (I have seen it a few times in May). Glacier Bay is the crown jewel of glaciers. One can get iced out. There are less turns in Endicott Arm, hopefully you make it to Dawes glacier. If they offer a small boat excursion, I would recommend taking it.

• Like 1

Our last cruise to Alaska was in May. We’ll be cruising to Alaska again in May. We loved it. Saw tons of whales. Booked it outside the cruise line on a small boat. The cruise excursion people were fighting to see them. We also booked a jeep in Sitka and drove the Klondike Highway. Truly a trip of a lifetime and can’t wait to go back.

Maggie

• Like 1

Your Alaska cruise portion of this tour is very weak.  If it was me, I would drop the land portion and concentrate on Alaska.  May is not the best time for Grand Canyon.  Yes, you can book excursions on your own in Alaska.  I see that you are not going to the actual Grand Canyon, but the very western part out of Vegas.  

Edited by Dancing Shoes
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

Your Alaska cruise portion of this tour is very weak.  If it was me, I would drop the land portion and concentrate on Alaska.  May is not the best time for Grand Canyon.  Yes, you can book excursions on your own in Alaska.  I see that you are not going to the actual Grand Canyon, but the very western part out of Vegas.  

Hi. Thanks for that. I appreciate the honesty. Our preference would have been to drop the land portion and do more in Alaska.. but it's one of those take-it, or leave-it package deals. So we're weighing up whether seeing some of it is better than seeing none of it if that makes sense. Sadly we can't get to every country in the world and we've got other major trips penciled in. 

They don't tell you in the advertising that the part of the Grand Canyon they're offering to go to isn't the real mcCoy experience! lol. The Canyon and Yosemite would be the 2 main attractions for the land portion. 

Hmm. How weak is the cruise portion if you don't mind me asking? 

6 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Hmm. How weak is the cruise portion if you don't mind me asking? 

I agree with @Dancing Shoes. When you sail out of San Francisco, you get mostly sea days instead of ports or glaciers. The best glaciers are Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. You are going to an inferior (smaller) glacier. In May, many glaciers are not accessible (including Tracy Arm, Endicott Arm and Hubbard Glacier) - thus it is important to get more than one glacier on the itinerary. I did an independent boat to Endicott Arm/Dawes glacier so I got close but a large ship may not.

If you take a trip out of Vancouver - one way to Whittier or Seward, you will get a better itinerary. I am not a fan of Prince Rupert (Canada) but that is me.

I didn't say anything because you are coming from afar and there are several things on the itinerary that you probably want to see like Vegas, LA, San Francisco, etc....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coral said:

I agree with @Dancing Shoes. When you sail out of San Francisco, you get mostly sea days instead of ports or glaciers. The best glaciers are Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. You are going to an inferior (smaller) glacier. In May, many glaciers are not accessible (including Tracy Arm, Endicott Arm and Hubbard Glacier) - thus it is important to get more than one glacier on the itinerary. I did an independent boat to Endicott Arm/Dawes glacier so I got close but a large ship may not.

If you take a trip out of Vancouver - one way to Whittier or Seward, you will get a better itinerary. I am not a fan of Prince Rupert (Canada) but that is me.

I didn't say anything because you are coming from afar and there are several things on the itinerary that you probably want to see like Vegas, LA, San Francisco, etc....

Thanks for that. Hmm.. Maybe we need to rethink. We weren't planning on doing Alaska or the US.. but the package popped up on our facebook feed.. impulses took over lol, and it looked like it ticked off a number of things with very little effort being a group tour for land and a cruise for Alaska haha. The main things we were interested in were seeing the Canyon, Yosemite, Whales, Bears and dog-sledding. I might ditch it. Cheers.  

2 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Thanks for that. Hmm.. Maybe we need to rethink. We weren't planning on doing Alaska or the US.. but the package popped up on our facebook feed.. impulses took over lol, and it looked like it ticked off a number of things with very little effort being a group tour for land and a cruise for Alaska haha. The main things we were interested in were seeing the Canyon, Yosemite, Whales, Bears and dog-sledding. I might ditch it. Cheers.  

If it is a situation of never going to Alaska or going, I would choose to go. 

• Like 1