Cost of soda card vs. individual sodas?

mtd716

It seems I've seen other threads on this but can't find them -- can anyone tell me the cost of the soda card (for 5-night cruise) vs. individual sodas? I'm trying to determine how many sodas we would need to drink each day to make the card a worthwhile investment. I want to decide before we go, because we'll either get the cards as soon as we get on the ship or not at all. Any advice? Is the soda card a good value?

07/2004 Sensation

11/2000 Sovereign of the Seas

1991 Azure Seas (Admiral)

1986 Big Red Boat (Premier)

1985(?) Enrico C (Costa)

I can't quote the cost of the soda cards, sorry BUT we always get them for our kids but not for us. Downside is it's a small glass of soda, whereas IF you pay, you usually get a full can and I think it's maybe $2.50??? BUT it's unlimited and our kids most definately got our money's worth out of them.

One widespread complaint we heard was the bar server in the dining room would NOT get refills or even have their sodas waiting for them-NOT true. She was a BUSY lady but she did figure out without any hints that IF she provided FULL glasses, we would provide an extra tip. Tip for soda cards goes to the person who sells it and not to those who constantly refill it, SOOOOO it's nice to tip those who DO honor the soda cards.

This answer is found on the Carnival web site which has tons of valuable information. I found the answer to cost of the Fountain Fun Card (aka soda card) here: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Fountain_Fun_Card.aspx

Cost for guests under 18 = $4 per day

Cost for guests over 18 = $5.50 per day

A 15% gratuity will automatically be added on at the time of purchase of the Fountain Fun Card.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;4;3;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Carnival Pride, 4/3/05 (going with a few friends)

I have found on Carnival in the past that the fountain sodas really don't taste good- always too much CO2, but the full cans/bottles are great. What I can't remember is what products they serve- Coca Cola or Pepsi??

Hoping for Windjammer of the ABC Islands in'04

Carnival Destiny 10/04 (Southern Caribbean)

Carnival Victory 10/02 (Eastern Caribbean)

Celebrity Mercury 9/98 (Alaska)

Carnival Destiny 9/97 (Western Caribbean)

My thoughts on Soda cards.

1 Soda cards are for fountain or glass of soda only. You normally do not get the whole bottle, sometimes but not normally,

2 It can not be used for room service.

3 If you buy a drink card while still in port it cost a additional state sales tax (Fl 6%) So wait till you sail.

4 With tips you would have to drink about 15 16oz soda's to break even. 5 But remember its glass of soda and I think they are 10oz so you would need to drink 24 to break even.

My numbers might not be exact but pretty close so you make the choice.

Now as far as soda cards for the kids thats a no brainer just that they don't need to bother me every 20 minutes for a drink is worth the price. LOL

Ed

81: Skyward,

85: Norway

97: Seabreeze,

98: Destiny

99: Ecstasy,

99: Jubilee

00: Explorer of the Seas

01: Destiny

02: Imagination

02: Regal Empress

03: Imagination

03: Adventure of the Seas

GLORY CRUISE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;6;26;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Coke products are sold on Carnival. I carry on my 12 pack of pepsi.

Living on Earth is expensive,

but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

We always pack (3) 12 packs in a duffle bag and check them with the luggage.

NCL Sunward 2 06/81

NCL Leeward 05/97

Carnival Tropicale 11/98

Carnival Sensation 11/99

Carnival Sensation 11/00

Carnival Inspiration 12/01

Carnival Sensation 09/02

Next:

Carnival Glory 10/04

Carnival Inspiration 12/04

Thanks everyone! Will probably bring a few of our own Diet Cokes on board and pass on the soda cards. Great advice! Plus that way we won't feel like we have to limit ourselves to soda. We aren't big drinkers, but would like to try one or two of the "fun" drinks without feeling guilty about not getting our money's worth on a soda card.

07/2004 Sensation

11/2000 Sovereign of the Seas

1991 Azure Seas (Admiral)

1986 Big Red Boat (Premier)

1985(?) Enrico C (Costa)

I am looking at my Sign and Sail Satement from our Miracle cruise last week. We paid $77.00 + $11.55 (15% gratuity) for $88.55 for 2 Adult Soda Cards.

At least on the on the Legend last year and the Miracle this year the soda came was poured from a can into a glass. They will only give you the number of glasses that you have cards at the same time.

The cards can not be used for Room Service and on Debarkation Day.

At dinner in the Mai Dinning Room, depending on your Bar Server you may get a can when you order it.

Walter

inlove.gif

6/2004 Carnival Miracle

2nd Anniversary

6/2003 Carnival Legend

1st Anniversary

6/2002 Celebrity Mercury

Honeymoon

inlove.gif

mtd...just want to let you know also that the soda card isn't a "set" price no matter when you buy it. My DH bought one on the second day & they only charged per day (I think it was $5.50+tip/per day) The bartender he bought it from actually asked him how many days he wanted it for. Before that, we were under the impression that it was one price no matter when you bought it...guess it makes more sense to do it the way they do though...better to get one day soda card money from a passenger than none icon_biggrin.gif

Dolphin 8/85

Norway 7/87

Ecstacy 6/96

Big Red Boat 1/00

Disney Magic 4/00

Paradise 4/02

Sensation 6/04 (with the kids)

Sensation 10/04 (WITHOUT the kids-WooHoo!)

I have always purchased the soda card for myself because I am not a big consumer of mixed drinks and can only take so much iced tea. The little 8oz. glasses of soda you get from the bar really drove me crazy because the drink is gone before you get back to your lounge chair. I finally got smart and bought an insulated cup,24 oz, from the gift shop, about 6.oo, and the bar tenders were more than happy to fill that to the top! Worked great. Joan

Archived