PSA: Unadvertised Total Solar Eclipse MSC Cruise

mahdnc

map_08122026_1.png

Forgive me if this has already been posted, but I didn't see anything when I did a search.

I have been scouring the internet to compile a list of cruise ships that are scheduled to see the total solar eclipse on Aug 12, 2026.  The path of totality includes Greenland, Iceland, and Spain.  From what I can tell, MSC Seaview will see the total eclipse as she is scheduled to be at Ibiza, Spain on that day.  This is part of the 7 night sailing on Aug 7th and Aug 9th.  From what I can see, these specific sailings are not being advertised as an eclipse cruise so it is likely that Seaview will be at the right place at the right time from some fortunate scheduling (this may also mean that they are not being priced for a solar eclipse either).  Ibiza, Spain will see 1 min 5 seconds of totality.  Totality is supposed to occur at 8:30 pm local time so it is possible that Seaview will be out to sea by then which is better.

Here is the list of ships that are schedule to see the eclipse from what I have found.

• Like 6

On 10/8/2024 at 6:06 PM, mahdnc said:

map_08122026_1.png

Forgive me if this has already been posted, but I didn't see anything when I did a search.

I have been scouring the internet to compile a list of cruise ships that are scheduled to see the total solar eclipse on Aug 12, 2026.  The path of totality includes Greenland, Iceland, and Spain.  From what I can tell, MSC Seaview will see the total eclipse as she is scheduled to be at Ibiza, Spain on that day.  This is part of the 7 night sailing on Aug 7th and Aug 9th.  From what I can see, these specific sailings are not being advertised as an eclipse cruise so it is likely that Seaview will be at the right place at the right time from some fortunate scheduling (this may also mean that they are not being priced for a solar eclipse either).  Ibiza, Spain will see 1 min 5 seconds of totality.  Totality is supposed to occur at 8:30 pm local time so it is possible that Seaview will be out to sea by then which is better.

Here is the list of ships that are schedule to see the eclipse from what I have found.

Thanks for that info!

The itinerary says they don't depart Ibiza until 11pm

1 hour ago, MonsterJoe said:

Thanks for that info!

The itinerary says they don't depart Ibiza until 11pm

Thank you for the information as well--I guess I didn't know where to look for that info on MSC's website.

It is preferable to be out to sea by then because the ship can maneuver to clear skies if there are clouds around.  However Ibiza historically has 33% average cloud cover for that date (1st photo).

image.png.be32a545edb065f8464493b4b5a6186e.png

That is markedly better than just about any other location in the path of totality (2nd photo).

image.png.1759e4195b9f1d542886951d1c799cea.png

One other small disadvantage with observing the eclipse from Ibiza is the relative shortness of totality (~1 min 5 seconds according to the first photo).  Ibiza is near the path's edge--the closer to the edge you are, the shorter the eclipse.  If Seaview were able to position herself closer to the centerline by heading north of Ibiza, you could pick up another 30 seconds of totality. 

• Like 1

Problem with MSC Seaview in Ibiza is, that port is at the east coast. Total solar eclipse starts around 7.30 pm and ends around 9 pm when part of sun (very special) is going to sea.  Unfortunately sun is so down that from port you don't see anything. From west coast view is perfect and that is 20-30 km from port. MSC Seaview is leaving 11pm so you should have a transportation / excursion of ship, if there comes traffic problems etc. 

I have asked from MSC several places about this without any answer. They say that please come back to this later.

Just now it looks that there are thousands of people waiting to see this marvellous world famous thing, but they are not going to see anything. 

There are several solutions.

Maybe easiest is that MSC sells official transportations where are quarantee that the ship will wait, if it's necessary. Anyway 60-90 minutes for 20-30km should be enough. If official transportation is for some reason impossible, maybe MSC Seaview could postpone the departure with hour or two that everyone surely get back to ship. 

6 hours ago, Mister cruise lover said:

Problem with MSC Seaview in Ibiza is, that port is at the east coast. Total solar eclipse starts around 7.30 pm and ends around 9 pm when part of sun (very special) is going to sea.  Unfortunately sun is so down that from port you don't see anything. From west coast view is perfect and that is 20-30 km from port. MSC Seaview is leaving 11pm so you should have a transportation / excursion of ship, if there comes traffic problems etc. 

I have asked from MSC several places about this without any answer. They say that please come back to this later.

Just now it looks that there are thousands of people waiting to see this marvellous world famous thing, but they are not going to see anything. 

There are several solutions.

Maybe easiest is that MSC sells official transportations where are quarantee that the ship will wait, if it's necessary. Anyway 60-90 minutes for 20-30km should be enough. If official transportation is for some reason impossible, maybe MSC Seaview could postpone the departure with hour or two that everyone surely get back to ship. 

Thank you.  Your points are very good and your conclusions make sense.  The altitude of the sun during totality will only be 2.8 degrees above the horizon so having a clear view of the western horizon is indeed important.  

One thing to point out is that I believe the total eclipse phase begins at 8:32 pm local time which makes the time situation more severe and your analysis even more compelling.  

Hopefully Seaview's departure time can be delayed somewhat to allow eclipse viewers to not miss the ship after totality is over.  On top of that, it would be worth sticking around to see or photograph the partially eclipsed sun setting after totality is over. 

The traffic following totality could be pretty bad.  My pure uneducated guess is that MSC will not organize bus transportation to see the eclipse mainly because I don't think they want to deal with the hassle of bad weather or bad luck preventing the passengers from seeing it.  There is an implied guarantee of seeing it when you offer the service.  Personally, I would be hiring a private guide/driver to see this because mobility will be important if you have to adjust your viewing location at the last minute (and I would be reserving that driver/guide ASAP).