2 - 3 yr olds - what equipment is available on board?

born2travel

Hello, and HELP!

We are in the early planning stages of a multi-generational dream vacation and I'm trying to gather all the info possible to make the right choices. DH and I hope to be sailing in FAll '07 with our two DDs, SILs, and our 3 absolutely wonderful grandhchildren, who will be between the ages of 2 and 3 1/2. I've been combing the boards and avidly reading the benefits of adjoining cabins vs family or mini-suites, etc, and the various lines' children's programs and pool regulations. What a fabulous group... willing to share their time & experiences so that we can make the best possible choices! and that's not even including how much it adds to the anticipation of an upcoming cruise.

As 2 of our precious little folk will be just a little over 2, we've already narrowed our choices down to the lines which allow that age group to take part in their organized "clubs" so their parents can get a little much-needed R&R during the trip.

I haven't found much information yet on what we can expect (or request) for sleeping arrangements for the young cruisers. Do cruise lines provide cribs or pack and plays for those too young for a bed, rails not withstanding? I did see a mention about one line having strollers for rent, has anyone used these? Do you know if they have to be reserved in advance of a port day, or pre-cruise? I don't want to find our options limited because we came aboard unprepared, but the mental picture of us coming through airport security, customs, and embarkation with 3 car seats, 3 strollers, pack and plays, etc, etc, etc... well, all you parents & grandparents out there get the picture!

Depending what cruise line you go on....

I have always cruised with RCI. First time when my daughter was 2. Next cruise (in 6 months) she is turning 5 during the cruise and my new baby boy will be turning 1 two days before this cruise. We are also going with my in laws. So its a multi generational cruise.

WIth RCI, they have a great group daycare for free. It is seperated by age groups. However, the youngest can only be 3 years old and potty trained. You get a pager if they need you. The hours are great. They go something like 9a - 12p , 2p to 6p and 8p to 10 p. Than if you choose (for the older child) there is a night group day care to about 1 am. You pay about 4 dollars and hour for that. At the same time, for the younger child if you need daycare in room, there is a service for in room daycare. I think its 5 dollars an hour or 8 dollars an hour for two children in the same family. Some people use them when the parents go to dinner and/or go out for some nite fun...

At the same time, my daughter ate all the regular adult food. Rack of Lamb chilled fruit soup etc.... I only ordered from the kids menu once.... THey have a good menu for everybody!

As far as land excursions are concered. Book a cruise that has some great beaches. I really wanted to go to Belize and MExico for this upcoming cruise, however I wanted to do some major jungle trecking, snorkling etc... But reality hit when I realized that I cannot do this with my two young ones and my father in law who has an enlarged heart ... So here I go again to the bahamas. for some fun and sun!

There are pack in plays you can use for the youngest. The oldest can sleep in either a pullman bed or what I had with a balcony suite and pullout bed from the sofa.... There are gaurd rails on the pullmen beds, but I have never seen one SO i am bringing mine. Just in case! oh if I were you I would get a bigger room like a balcony suite. More room = more sanity! RCI doesn't have rented stroller I am bringing a small umbrella one. I hope I answered your questions..

On Princess they will provide pack 'n plays, but the children's program will only care for kids over 3 (they will allow under 3 to play in the playroom with one parent), so it doesn't sound like Princess is a good choice for you if there are programs that accept younger kids.

Re: the strollers though - I think a stroller makes travelling much easier, so I would bring them rather than try to rent. There is so much stress, walking, waiting involved - even if you're driving to the ship - that it helps to have the stroller. Even if the children want to walk, you have a place to put bags! You can buy little umbrella strollers at Target for $15-$20 that fold into nothing if you don't want to bring full sized ones (though I cruised with a twin stroller that's like a humvee and it was fine).

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

Sound advice from experienced sea-going parents! Those lightweight strollers are so affordable nowadays, they are nearly disposable, aren't they? We are really hoping to spend an additional week on land (Walt Disney, here we come!) and they'd certainly get good use there, too.

What about length of cruise? I see some posts where people think 5 days is a good length for a first cruise with children. Naturally, I like the idea of 7 days better because the cruise would be the only part of the vacation where ALL adults could have a little free time together! I haven't read a discouraging word about the children's programs. In fact, DH & I noted on previous cruises that we seldom saw children and when we did, they were always asking their parents when they could go back to their own clubs and activites.

What's been your experience with cruise lengths with children?

I took my one year old twins on a week cruise, and we easily could have done another week. I don't think less than 7 days is enough really - but maybe someone else has another opinion.

My parents started taking my sister and I on cruises when I was about 10 and we never went for less than seven days, but still never got bored. And that was wayyyyy back before the ships started offering so many children's activities and there would be just a few other kids scattered around.

Best,

Mia

Hi! Let me say up front, cruising with our little one has me hooked on the whole concept!

We took our first cruise when DD was 25 months. (This was following a land-based trip when she was about 18 months that almost put me off travel all together!) She has a brother who is almost 4 years older, so it was not a case of not knowing what I was getting myself into! LOL

We have since cruised when she was 29 months, 32 months and just recently when she was 3.25 years. All but one cruise was 7 nights (the exception was a 5 night cruise which I took the kids on without DH).

We have cruised Carnival each time. I chose it originally because the Camp accepts 2 year old, non-potty trained kids. (Norwegian also accepts 2 year olds, but if not potty trained, they page the parents for diaper changes. One by-product of this is you can't leave the ship if your child is in camp - not even to shop at the pier.) Not that we've left the ship much...

I just realized I should put a caveat in here: I've never cruised Norwegian, although I understand lots of people love them, so I guess I'm not qualified to speak to the reality of how it works with them. I'm just sharing the thought process that led me to decide Carnival was a better fit for us. No offense (please) to those who love Norwegian.

So, having taken our first cruise with Carnival, and loving what we got, we have seen no reason to change. (Just booked a 12 night Greek Island and Turkey cruise in 4/07 at what I perceive to be an amazing value!)

As to pack-n-plays, at 25 months, DD slept on the convertible couch with DS above in a berth. I placed the extra pillows which constitute the "back" of the couch on the floor as a cushion, and one regular bed pillow to her side. She never fell out, even though she had a bed rail at home.

We haven't rented any equipment, although on our recent Miracle cruise, I noted that they even had bouncy seats available!

I really like to choose my travel stroller with care. I consider the following absolutely necessary: 5-point harness system (no accidental falling/getting out when mom and/or dad is distracted, especially in ports where sidewalks are narrow and traffic is close), reclining seat (honestly, sometimes the only way to get in a nap), a hood or roof (to suppport a rain cover or bug net, depending on where you are going), and adequate storage. I also like large wheels that can stand up to cobblesones and other uneven surfaces. Oh, and it has to be light weight and fold compactly. (We once took a stroller that only fit throught the door to the cabin sideways when folded, and didn't fit under the bed or in the closet! It should have been charged a fifth passenger rate!!)

As to length of cruise, I see no problem with a 7 night. Our approach is that DD comes with us on port days, but goes to the camp on sea days and in the evenings. It seems to be a great balance.

As an additional note, Carnival provides a beeper or phone for the little ones. In four cruises, I've been called twice: once (our 2nd cruise when she was 29 months) that she was unhappy. I responded immediately and picked her up at 9:30 instead of 10 pm. The second was to leave a message that they needed more diapers for tomorrow.

I always put together a large ziplock bag with a change of clothing, diapers and wipes marked with DD's name and our cabin number, which I hand to the camp staff the 1st morning. They return it the last night.

One final thought: I'm not sure where you are considering cruising, but if you are going to the Caribbean or the like, the one thing I never leave home without is a life jacket for my (then 2) now 3 year old. It's the sort that keeps her head up and has a loop on the back of the neck for quick grabs. I would never feel comfortable with her on a speed boat in Belize, on a snorkeling boat in rough seas in Barbados, on the beach at Orient Beach, etc. without it. JMHO.

We (parents and kids) just love the whole experience! Hope you all feel the same! Happy cruising!

With NCL you have the advantage of freestyle dinning, so you take the kids to the buffet when they're hungry. Then if they're old enough for the kids club you and your other(s) can go for a nice dinner yourselves.

I am so glad to hear that none of you think 7 days is too long (and that longer could even be better.) That was my feeling as there aren't too many other vacation style that allows parents with young children so many options for spending adult time, while their little darlings are royally entertained. We hope to spend some Disney days as well, and I know that pacing ourselves willbe a must in order to avoid overtired and cranky travellers (of all generations!)

My older daughter - proud mom of our precious granddaughter - stumbled onto this thread and was reading with interest before realizing that I'd started the thread.She got quite a chuckle. She was very intersted in the stroller comments, and maintains she'd prefer to bring her own as well. Definitely a personal choice issue, but knowing her packing habits, I couldn't resist reminding her that she will not be travelling with a team of Sherpas to carry her equipment. I can see us all now; 2 grandparents, 4 parents, 3 active youngsters, 3 carseats, 3 strollers, 147 suitcases... thank heavens we are leaving the pets at home!

How about shore excursions? Any warnings? Best bets? One thing really in our favor (I think) is that the little ones are will will always be very close in age so we don't have to look for things suitable for a 2 yr old that won't bore a 12 yr old.

I really liked the description of the stroller you prefer. Did you find one that met all your specifications? If so, would you share what kind it is? Thanks for the great tips and advice.

As to shore excursions, that it somewhat dependent on the port. I'm assuming you are considering a Caribbean itinerary, as you are sailing out of Florida.

Beaches are usually a safe bet with young children, but I like to find one that is calm, with little surf, and some facilities (restrooms, available drinks and snacks). Depending on where you live, and your access to pools, lakes, beaches, I suppose this could be less than exciting for the adults.

We've certainly had some beach time. On our first cruise, we devoted our entire time in a port to the beach, and DH and I decided in retrospect that in the future we'd like to balance non-beach days with beach days, and on beach days do something else, even if it's only to seek a unique place for lunch.

We've had good experiences on several types of excursions in several different ports. If you can give me a sense of what ports you're considering, I can share our experiences, if we've been there.

We have cruised with our dd when she was 16 months, then 3 yrs old. Had fantastic times both cruises. 7 night one at 18 months and 11 night one at 3 yrs, we are going again in Nov for 13 nights, she will be 5 and our new son will be 14 months. I rarely post but read ALOT from these boards, the cruisemates.com family board is also very helpful, the moderator has been on a million cruises with her kids and has contacts at all of the cruiselines for specific questions she will get answered for you.

We did use RCI both cruises - we took advantage of the in-room babysitting when dd was 16 months - had the babysitter come each night from 8pm - midnight and we would go have a nice dinner and go have drinks or to a show after. That worked great, dd was so wiped from the day that she was usually fast asleep before the babysitter even got there. That being said - it is more of a challenge during the day because the little ones can't go in the pools and are not old enough for the kids clubs, so you do a lot of chasing around!

Balcony cabins are really helpful for nap times (for you while kids nap), and even if they don't nap alot at home they will on the cruise - they are tired from all the sun and running around. Also helpful if your room has a fridge for milk, etc.

As for the poster who asked about the umbrella stroller with all features - I just got one that is FANTASTIC - it is expensive but worth every penny, it functions as an umbrella stroller as well as an everyday stroller, etc. It is the Ingelsina Zippy 2006 stroller, folds literally at the push of a button UP so you don't even have to bend over, reclines all the way, has a great sun shade, a rain shield, etc. Is really compact and stands up by itself when folded. I had an old Peg Perego, a Graco light weight stroller, and tossed them all when I got this one. I think it is perfect for a cruise and will be taking it when we go.

I couldn't resist reminding her that she will not be travelling with a team of Sherpas to carry her equipment. I can see us all now; 2 grandparents, 4 parents, 3 active youngsters, 3 carseats, 3 strollers, 147 suitcases... thank heavens we are leaving the pets at home!

This is what porters are for. :D I rarely actually carry little more that my boy (in the stroller) and a carry-on or two and tip people to do all the real work for me. Bring lots of tip money!!!

As far as cruise lengths, I have been on two 10-day cruises, both with my young son, and I worry that my upcoming 7-day cruise will be too short. Even shorter, forget it! You'd spend the whole time unpacking and then repacking. :p The longer ones really allow you to settle in for a while and get into a bit of a routine. Well, maybe some people wouldn't like that, but I love it!

BTW, I have one of the Chicco umbrella strollers - love it for travel!!!

Have lots of fun!!! Good luck planning.

Shellie

Shellie, hmmm... porters, you say? I Like your style. My daughter will love your style!

If our 2 younger grandchildren take to the water like our first, I suspect most port days will include time on the beach. We live very close to some beautiful ocean beaches but the water temp and surf can be unsuitable for little ones so a white sand, warm water beach would be a treat for all. I assume it is going to be warm enough around the first of December, but maybe that's a question I should be asking!

No idea yet about actual ports, we'll happily be at the mercy of the cruise line itinerary. We like to sail from Port Canaveral, which limits the choice of ships, but again, RCCL and Carnival both sail from there. I've done the drive from Miami in the past and like the short commute to Orlando.

I can see we are going to be checking out strollers. You've all mentioned models and brands I am not familiar with but I never get tired of looking at things for my little darlings.

The more I read, the more I am convinced that a cruise is the way to go. It is so great to read not just your practical experiences, but about how much you've enjoyed and recommend cruising with the younger set. Thanks so much to all of you have responded so far. I love travel-related message boards and faithfully check reviews and boards like this for information before making plans and reservations. I get a lot of good advice, and have never been steered wrong yet. MAkes me wonder what we did before the internet!?!

LOL! I was thinking the very same thing earlier today!

In my case, the answer was, I bought a LOT of (very expensive) guidebooks, most of which had conflicting, not to mention dated, information. I considered it a home run if I could find two books which recommended the same hotel!

How far we have come!! Travel reviews in real time....it's a wonderful thing!

Not to mention, it's so nice to have this forum in which to plan, and exchange thoughts and ideas. To think the little ones will never know anything different...

Born2Travel - Cool! Well, then let me make one more suggestion. When traveling with little ones, your daughters may end up spending alot more time in their rooms than other cruisers (think 2 or so hours every day for kids naptime). In inside cabins I go bonkers, thus the need for a balcony. OK, OK, its not so much of a need as a way to continue to enjoy the cruise experience in spite of being stuck in the room for an extra couple of hours a day. Unless your daughters like to nap, too, then it doesn't matter so much. I prefer to sit on a balcony and read for a couple of hours while my little guy sleeps. Just a suggestion.

Mom of a well-traveled toddler,

Shellie

Shellie: I totally agree with you! A balcony makes a huge difference when traveling with little ones! Also, our kids are in bed, at the latest, right after the 10 pm camp pick-up. Sometimes, they don't even make it anywhere near that! Again, being able to sit out on the balcony in the evening makes all of the difference...

Ladies, the balcony cabin makes very good sense. I had thought the same thing for MYSELF, if DH and I ever cruised alone again as he likes his downtime, and I am an early riser. It's nice to travel with friends and family as there's usually someone ready to go but with just 2 of us... different story. I could easily have a pot of coffee and watch the ocean go by for hours on a balcony. I appreciate the price of interior cabins but as soon as I am awake, I want to see that ocean or watch a port come into sight.

If they get balconies, I'll probably even volunter to stand guard over the occasional nap-time. I've yet to have a balcony but as I am heading into my third cruise in Nov '06, I know the day will come...

Archived