Train from North Island to South Island, New Zealand

cccole

I have read about the wonderful trains of New Zealand.  We would like to go from Auckland to South Island.  Is it better to fly to South Island and then take trains or is there a train that we can take from somewhere on the North Island to the South Island.  We have spent 14 days on the North Island previously and want to see the South Island this trip.  The Coastal Pacific looks amazing but does not appear to go between the two islands.  Any suggestions welcome.  Thank you, Cherie.  p.s.  it will be in February.

They're scenic trains that cost a fortune. The Northern Explorer leaves from Auckland and goes to Wellington at the bottom of the North Island. Takes about 11 hours. From Wellington, you can catch the Ferry across to Picton at the top of the South Island. About 3.5 hours. From Picton, there's the Coastal Pacific train that goes to Christchurch. From Christchurch, you could take the Tranzalpine that goes across the South Island to Greymouth. That one is pretty spectacular. Here's the link - www.greatjourneysnz.com 

All depends on how much train ride you want to do. They're not cheap as mentioned. Nor do they run every day. The flight from Auckland to Christchurch to start a South Island tour is just over an hour. The train/Ferry - 2 days. You haven't mentioned whether you've got a vehicle.. campervan etc or how you're travelling. Do you have to start in Auckland? 

@Over from NZ  Thank you for the info.  Our cruise from Australia ends in Auckland.  After looking at things more I think we will fly to Dunedin or Queendsland, rent a car,  drive the southern area up to Greymouth then the tranzalpine to Christchurch.  We will end up in Abel Tasman NP and then fly home, with a connection somewhere!  So much planning and so much to see, I am lucky it will not be until February 2026.  The flights within New Zealand are very reasonable.  Thank you again for taking the time to set me in the right direction.  Cherie 

3 hours ago, cccole said:

@Over from NZ  Thank you for the info.  Our cruise from Australia ends in Auckland.  After looking at things more I think we will fly to Dunedin or Queendsland, rent a car,  drive the southern area up to Greymouth then the tranzalpine to Christchurch.  We will end up in Abel Tasman NP and then fly home, with a connection somewhere!  So much planning and so much to see, I am lucky it will not be until February 2026.  The flights within New Zealand are very reasonable.  Thank you again for taking the time to set me in the right direction.  Cherie 

Good as gold. Good idea with the plans. Fly into Queenstown. From there - you can get to Milford etc. Allow time for the surrounding Lakes district. The drive from Queenstown through the Haast Pass on the way to Greymouth is spectacular! Of course, you've got the Glaciers etc on the West Coast on the way to Greymouth too. The Abel Tasman is really nice - we Kayaked it many years ago. 

@Over from NZ  Thank you again.  Will start in Queenstown and go from there.  We like to enjoy our destinations not just check them off.  2 weeks should give us a good amount of time to enjoy this part of South Island.  Now for picking out lodging so that when they open for reservations in February 2025 I am ready.  Cherie

• Like 1