Once Loyal to Royal, returning after a long hiatus -- what has changed since 2021?

So this is a side question -- I booked a GTY cabin and I was looking at the available balcony cabins and there are probably less than 20 left (none being an obstructed view).

I know anything is possible, but could they upgrade someone in an obstructed view and then assign that obstructed cabin to those who booked a GTY?

The wait (for the cruise and assignment are killing me)...at least I got the stock holder OBC for the cruise.

Edited by xcell

10 minutes ago, xcell said:

So this is a side question -- I booked a GTY cabin and I was looking at the available balcony cabins and there are probably less than 20 left (none being an obstructed view).

I know anything is possible, but could they upgrade someone in an obstructed view and then assign that obstructed cabin to those who booked a GTY?

The wait (for the cruise and assignment are killing me)...at least I got the stock holder OBC for the cruise.

Yes, this is why the cruise lines offered GTY cabins at reduced prices.

It allows the cruise lines to fill cabins in locations that are hard to sell at standard prices.

Royal could also take someone from an interior cabin who bids through Royal Up for a balcony cabin into an obstructed balcony cabin.

Royal on some cruises charges significantly more money ($300 to $500 per person/ double occupancy) to select balcony cabins compared to the GTY prices.

I have done interior GTY cabins because I got a great prices and could care less where I was placed. I do not purchase GTY balconies because I want to make sure I get specific decks and positions on the ship for good views and low noise levels from deck chairs above.

31 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Yes, this is why the cruise lines offered GTY cabins at reduced prices.

It allows the cruise lines to fill cabins in locations that are hard to sell at standard prices.

Royal could also take someone from an interior cabin who bids through Royal Up for a balcony cabin into an obstructed balcony cabin.

Royal on some cruises charges significantly more money ($300 to $500 per person/ double occupancy) to select balcony cabins compared to the GTY prices.

I have done interior GTY cabins because I got a great prices and could care less where I was placed. I do not purchase GTY balconies because I want to make sure I get specific decks and positions on the ship for good views and low noise levels from deck chairs above.

But if all the obstructed view cabins have been sold out (none available on my sailing), can they upgrade someone from an obstructed to a non-obstructed and then assign the GTY to an obstructed.   I know anything is possible but curious if any one has had that happen...

6 minutes ago, xcell said:

But if all the obstructed view cabins have been sold out (none available on my sailing), can they upgrade someone from an obstructed to a non-obstructed and then assign the GTY to an obstructed.   I know anything is possible but curious if any one has had that happen...

There is the hypothetical possibility that an obstructed balcony cruiser could bid on a higher cabin, win the bid, and have a GTY balcony back-fill the room.

We will have to wait together for someone who has gone through this scenario for real world examples which I have none.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

There is the hypothetical possibility that an obstructed balcony cruiser could bid on a higher cabin, win the bid, and have a GTY balcony back-fill the room.

We will have to wait together for someone who has gone through this scenario for real world examples which I have none.

Well, I am just happy to be cruising!!!!!

• Haha 1