Alaska (early season)

quintin

Hi

I am booked on an 11 day Alaska cruise out of Vancouver leaving May 3rd.  I've recently seen posts that ports or glacier bay often get cancelled because of weather conditions early in the season, is this true? have people experienced their ports of call or the scenic cruise in the glacier bay being cancelled/ does this happen often?

thanks for your feedback.

Nothing is impossible, but I can report taking two separate early season Alaska cruises--visiting Glacier Bay on May 5 and April 30--and we cruised all the way up to the Margerie Glacier at the end of Glacier Bay both times.  Regarded the weather conditions, I can report that one day was quite sunny (with the reflection off the snow-covered mountains making it almost blindingly so) and one day as completely overcast.  Overcast days can happen any time.

Actually, the scenic cruising area that seems to have more problems with ice that prevents cruising up to the end is Tracy Arm Fjord.

19 minutes ago, quintin said:

Hi

I am booked on an 11 day Alaska cruise out of Vancouver leaving May 3rd.  I've recently seen posts that ports or glacier bay often get cancelled because of weather conditions early in the season, is this true? have people experienced their ports of call or the scenic cruise in the glacier bay being cancelled/ does this happen often?

thanks for your feedback.

I have been to Alaska in early May many times and Glacier Bay has never been cancelled.  One of the glaciers is a birthing zone for harbor seals and if they are spotted, the ship may not go as close as they normally would.

My experience is that the only early May ports cancelled due to weather have been in far northers ports on the 14-day cruises (Anchorage, Seward, and Kodiak) that are exposed to he Gulf of Alaska.

image.jpeg.1dcc87a549d6a19e6c1f27e7862045bb.jpeg

image.jpeg.446bcca6287807485d4e5ecace6f60a4.jpeg

• Like 2