Is December a good month for an Antarctic cruise?

LeBelgo

We've been thinking of cruising Antarctica next winter (12/25-3/26), probably on Silversea, and have noticed that cruises leaving in December are substantially less expensive, which makes me wonder if December is a good month. Will there be problems in zodiacs making it to land because of sea ice during that month? Is it worth spending thousands more to cruise in January instead?

We cruised with SilverSea in December 2021. It was fabulous! 

The cruise was considerably cheaper than usual. My theory is that was due to the timing. The cruise ended on the 22nd, with a hotel night in Santiago.  We flew from Santiago to Mexico city very late on the 23rd and made it home late in the afternoon of the 24th (Chirstmas Eve). The cruise also overlapped with Hanukkah. I am guessing (and it's only a guess) that the timing relative to holidays celebrated by many of SilverSea's passenger base contributed to the unusually low price. 

Perhaps other December cruises are cheaper because they require significant-distance travel during traditional holiday times for the customers? 

December is a perfectly fine time to

visit. You’ll likely have small penguin chicks still in the nest. And I’ve had some great whale sightings in December.

Landings can be impacted at any time of year due to localized weather. High winds or sea swell can make it dangerous to lower the zodiacs, and loose ice can end up blown or washed up to a landing site blocking access. I’ve run into these kinds of things in every month I’ve visited.

The two times of year where seasonal risks impact price are at the very beginning and end of the season. In October and early November, there is a chance that some sites may still be blocked by fast ice, but with the warming climate, the ice is breaking up earlier and earlier in the year. In late March, the penguin colonies in much of the peninsula have cleared out, and in some areas the snow has completely cleared, so these end-of-season trips have different scenery and wildlife opportunities.