Ziploc bags???

Nancy & Don

We live in Central Ohio near Columbus and can find 2-gallong ziplocks at Target, Walmart and Meijers as well as at local grocery store chains of Krogers and Giant Eagle.

Bought our first box 2 years ago and haven't had to replace the bags we carry for cruise use. Initial box has lasted through about 8 cruises. Love them. Won't leave home without them.:D

Dianne

DW packs the underwear, T-shirts, cosmetics, anything that might leak, etc. in Zips. For clothing, lay the items in the bag, roll up from the bottom to expel as much air as possible and zip 'er shut

Really saves on space in the luggage. Plus, if TSA decides to hand check your bags, they don't have to pull all the "dainties" out:eek:

During the cruise we use the Zips as a laundry bag. When full, roll, zip and it's ready to pack for the return trip.

Charlie

Babylene: We've been using ziploc bags for years. They come in little snack, sandwich, quart, gallon and 2 gallon sizes. Best example I can come up with is that I put all of my panties and socks in one, press excess air out and seal them. That way, if TSA opens my bag, they don't run their filthy hands all over my intimates, and all of my panties, etc. are in one place. Pressing the air out also compacts items and gives you more packing room. But with this added space, watch your overall bag weight on the bathroom scale (borrow a neighbors if you don't have one), it can add up fast. Also, with rough handling of my luggage, things don't get so messed up. I keep my makeup in one, hair stuff in another and I double bag one to put "leakables" in - bottles of lotion, shampoo, etc. I also put matching sets of costume jewelry in the snack size bags, all of those in either a quart or gallon size depending on the amount. May sound like a lot of work, but the organization is great when you unpack on board. I save the bags as long as they are clean and have no holes and keep them in our luggage for reuse. I hope others reading this thread will add ideas of their own for using these fantastic bags. When I go to pack, I just take all the boxes and put them on the dresser and they are right there, ready to grab. HTH

micropooz

It's Target here too.

Items like t-shirts and pajamas if rolled tightly and placed in a ziplock bag usually take up a lot less space. And the bags then make a smooth bed for other items.

We also use the Eagle Creek Pack It Folders for suits and shirts.

In Southern California, Smart & Final (non-membership warehouse stores) carries these 2 gallon bags.

I also like Glad Press 'n Seal for travelling if I need to bring bottles along (e.g., mouthwash). Just cut a small square, press over the bottle opening and then replace the cap. No spills!

After all of the quick replies to go to Target and/or Walmart, we journeyed from home in a different direction and to different stores this afternoon. Target- we found 2 1/2 gal Ziplock bags, 12 to a box. Walmart-we found hand-held clothes steamer(also had been a challenge to find).

Also at Walmart- If you are looking for luggage locks that are TSA approved, in the luggage section there were packs with 3 small locks for $5.88.

Thanks for the assurances that Ziplocs could be found.

Don

Wal-Mart definitely has them; however, sometimes you have to ask.

Besides cruising, I take yearly trips to the Boundary Waters (canoeing & portaging in the Wilderness). We used Zip Locks for years to organize our clothes and also keep everything dry. Many people cannot understand how I can enjoy both ends of the "cruising spectrum."

My parents are now in their 80's and enjoy cruising. In order to save room and also to be organize, we package everything in Zip Locks. When we arrive unpacking is a snap as everything is organized. We use various sizes.

I don't want to sound like a "dummy"...but... when you pack t-shirts ( for example...do you lie them flat in the ziploc, or do you roll them? What about men's shirts? Do you place one above the other (in opposite direction) until bag is full? Do you do bermuda shorts and long pants? I use underwear for stuffing corners. Do you still have to stuff corners so that everything doesn't move around? All these questions...I use ziploc for spillables, but I would like to conserve space and use them for clothes,too. We are flying internally in Greece and will have a weight issue, so I don't want anything too heavy. Thanks for all suggestions.

One other thing. What do you put in the outside pockets of your suitcase? Has anything ever "Disappeared"?

What would I do without you all?

I don't want to sound like a "dummy"...but... when you pack t-shirts ( for example...do you lie them flat in the ziploc, or do you roll them? What about men's shirts? Do you place one above the other (in opposite direction) until bag is full? Do you do bermuda shorts and long pants? I use underwear for stuffing corners. Do you still have to stuff corners so that everything doesn't move around? All these questions...I use ziploc for spillables, but I would like to conserve space and use them for clothes,too. We are flying internally in Greece and will have a weight issue, so I don't want anything too heavy. Thanks for all suggestions.

One other thing. What do you put in the outside pockets of your suitcase? Has anything ever "Disappeared"?

What would I do without you all?

After more than several cruises I've come up with my own favorite packing methods with ziplocs. May not be a favorite of others however here's mine:

When packing T-shirts, I press them (yes, I do iron T-shirts, but only prior to a cruise, not for wear at home :). I stack 2 to 3 T-shirts in a ziploc, push out the air and zip it. I pack several sets of underwear in one ziploc and then push out air and close.

For cotton dress shirts and blouses, I've started ironing them using spray starch, hang them on plastic hangers then encase them in dry-cleaning bags before laying them in the luggage. Spray sizing and/or starch coupled with the plastic bags seems to keep wrinkles away for us.

Dianne

After more than several cruises I've come up with my own favorite packing methods with ziplocs. May not be a favorite of others however here's mine:

When packing T-shirts, I press them (yes, I do iron T-shirts, but only prior to a cruise, not for wear at home :). I stack 2 to 3 T-shirts in a ziploc, push out the air and zip it. I pack several sets of underwear in one ziploc and then push out air and close.

For cotton dress shirts and blouses, I've started ironing them using spray starch, hang them on plastic hangers then encase them in dry-cleaning bags before laying them in the luggage. Spray sizing and/or starch coupled with the plastic bags seems to keep wrinkles away for us.

Dianne

Thanks, Dianne, for sharing your helpful hints for packing...I plan to try them :)

Archived