Upsell happiness!

SusanMelody

Booked 2 cat G outside cabins on the 4/16 Sailing on the Dawn (paid in full on Monday 3/27). first cabin for myself, DH and DD (14 months old); second cabin for my BFF and her niece. $1101.06/pp.

I had my TA call the upsell desk looking for Balcony offers. I had the feeling that she didn't quite understand what I meant, and that suspiscion was comfirmed when she called me back basically quoting prices found on any website. I grew concerned after I explained the upsell theory and gave her the 800 phone number, because she seemed a little snippy.

I was very relieved when she called me back the second time stating "I got quite and education" The original offer was for $250/pp for a BA. The booking difference would have been $621/pp so I was pleased. Since my BFF could not afford another penny, I offered $175/pp for both cabins and they took it! I am sooo happy. My TA seemed quite surprised, even stating, "I never thought they'd go for your offer"

I thank all the people on this forum who have shared their wisdom and expertise. I could not have done it without you.

I had read on a previous thread that a CC'er had negotiated down to 75/pp from 300/pp on a very similar upgrade. Apparently, NCL wants the less expensive cabins to entice new cruisers, and they are still makin' some bucks on the upsell.

I was worried about losing the BA stateroom, as I had checked out Travelocity prior to my offer, and there were only 4 cabins available in that category. When I made the counter offer through my TA, I made it clear if my counter offer was not accepted, to go ahead and accept the original offer.

So, the upsell desk is open to negotiation?????

Yes, you can negotiate an upsell. I got them to knock off $250 pp on our recent upsell from an AD Penthouse to a Courtyard Villa. But, I was also prepared to walk away and keep what I had originally booked.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone used the internet sites (travelocity etc) as their TA's and gotten a upsell??

Just wondering

I don't know what anyone else's experiences have been, but the upsell desk told me that the large, popular internet site I'd booked with had booked me into a "group reservation," which makes it next to impossible for them to give me an upsell. Apparently, these internet agencies buy large groups of staterooms that they then re-sell, and some of them refuse to deal with the upsell desk because they are then left with an empty stateroom at the last minute.

This upsell desk is new to me and I have been on +30 cruises! Is this only for Norwegian or for any cruiseline? What is the number to get hold of this area? I booked directly thru the cruiseline...can I still use this? Please help, this October is our 1 year anniversary and I would love to upgrade as a surprise for my husband. Thanks for any help you can give me.

;) congrat's to you.....negotiation is always an option and use it when you do some shopping in the ports also...I bought a ton of stuff and never paid full price for anything....

We just came back from an 11 night cruise last week on the Dawn and we had booked a balcony room on deck 8 and when we got our tickets they had upgraded us (which is free) to deck 10....

Have a great cruise !!!!

I don't know what anyone else's experiences have been, but the upsell desk told me that the large, popular internet site I'd booked with had booked me into a "group reservation," which makes it next to impossible for them to give me an upsell. Apparently, these internet agencies buy large groups of staterooms that they then re-sell, and some of them refuse to deal with the upsell desk because they are then left with an empty stateroom at the last minute.

We booked with an online TA and we found out we were booked into a group. i asked my TA what exactly this meant they said oh you will get some special things on the ship! Well that was a lie, it was all a gimik! I was not impressed with this agency and I let them know this. But I was able to get an UPSELL with the NCl desk! I had to hand hold my TA through the process! But I called the UPSELL desk got the offer, then scored my AFT BA Balcony on the star! So you can it is just if you jump the hoops!

Archived