Florence arrival time

We are booked on the Carnival Liberty, due to dock in Livorno at 7:00 am. on Wednesday, July 5. We are planning to do "Florence on your own" through the ship, and we are planning to purchase tickets in advance for at least two museums, possibly three (we have spent quite a bit of time in Florence and know exactly what we want to see). Has anyone had experience with ship transportation from Livorno to Florence? We are planning to visit St. Mark's museum first, and then the Academy, as they are quite close together, and I want to purchase my St. Mark's tickets as early as possible (museum opens at 8:15 am), but obviously not so early that we won't have arrived yet! I was figuring that, to be safe, I could purchase tickets for 10:30, figuring an 8 am bus departure, two-hour drive, and time to walk from wherever the bus "lands" to St. Mark's Square. Does this seem reasonable? Thanks for any input.

I don't have any experience with Carnival Liberty's on your own to Florence but I would assume this would be similar to what we did on Celebrity a few years ago. We too docked at 7 am and did the ship's on your own excursion into Florence. We arrived in Florence close to 10 am. I believe it was only about a 1 1/2 hour bus ride. They tend to let the bigger tours load and depart first. Big Buses cannot go into the main parts of Florence so we were dropped off and led to Santa Croce Square. I understand that this is where many of these on your own tours from different ships do rendezvous. Hope this helps somewhat.

I phoned directly for our Accademia tickets and it was very easy.

We made 11 A.M. reservations..and even with reservations,you have to stand in line for about 25 minutes.Don't worry...the others (without tickets)are in line for hours !!!

We took the 8:10 train from Livorno with no problem...and the 3..something train back.

Have a good map of Florence..you will likely arrive at Santa Croce and then walk from there.

Enjoy,

Sharon

I will be on the Liberty Sept.4 and in port at Livorno Sept.15. I've booked a 9-hr. private tour for Pisa & Florence. Question is, is there enough time to visit both museums? :confused:

Appreciate any input.

Archived