Destiny in Disrepair?

Hey I will be on the Destiny on the 8th. I had nothing to do tonight so I decided to research the ship. I have sailed on her before, as my first cruise, but she was new and I had nothing to compare her to.

So I have been reading. There are so many times where she has broken down, or a horrible smell or sound surfaced. Also people are complaining about the food, staff and service.

So for all of you who have sailed the Destiny within the past year, please defend her. I would like some assurance before this cruise in August. Please Please tell me that Carnival has made some changes than from what so many people are saying....please help me icon_confused.gif

8-00 Carnival Destiny

8-01 Enchantment of the Seas

8-02 Voyager of the Seas

8-03 Carnival Legend

8-8-04 Carnival Destiny

Dayz till i Lose my mind on the Destiny

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;8;8;8;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Hubby and I, along with our kids, will be on this same cruise......We're counting on Carnival to come through with their usual great ships and service. Anyone who has sailed the Destiny recenty, please tell us what we can expect????

I was on the Destiny in May, and we had a great time! The dining room food was very good, and the Lido deck food was good too. (Get the pizza while it's hot!) The staff was very courteous, although I did notice a slight difference in the level of service compared to our cruise on Victory in 2001. I attribute this to the automatic tipping policy, and don't believe it has anything to do with a particular ship. All in all though, the staff was friendly and efficient.

As for the ship herself, I didn't notice any odors at all. The ship is showing signs of her age, with some mildew, and a little rust here and there. Our cruise mates had some dents/paint chipping in the walls of their cabin and problems with their air conditioning, (which was fixed right away) but our balcony room was great, with no problems at all!

On the first day the area back by the aft pool was quite dirty, with sticky cluttered tables, and one other time I noticed the Lido deck got quite dirty after a night of Cool Runnings band playing and lots of people partying. It seemed like that area of the ship was lacking some staff. But it was certainly not bad enough to make a difference in our cruise experience. I only mention it because I'm trying to think back and give as accurate a description as I can. The rest of the ship was spotless, and the Lido deck was usually clean, except for these couple of times.

In my opinion, Destiny was a great cruise, on an older ship that might do well with a little spit and polish in drydock. Go not expecting "brand new" and I'm sure you'll have a great time!

I was on one of the broken down cruises. The air conditioning died on the entire ship, apparently this has happened before. Many slept on lounge chairs on the top deck, which actually isn't as bad as it sounds. Some people with inside cabins had pretty bad heat, but were still able to take periodic showers to cool off. We returned to port a few days early, and Carnival arranged an early flight home for me, even though I had never paid them for flights in the first place. They also provided a very nice hotel to stay at for a night, with a meal voucher. I was impressed with the Carnival people who hastily arranged our impromptu hotel and airfare.

The decor of the ship is dated, kind of old vegas, not bad really, just not flash. The food was consistently excellent (except breakfast), and the crew were fine. Nice entertainment. At least until the air conditioning problem surfaced, passengers were having a great time. Even after the problem surfaced, an open bar was declared on the top deck, and morale was very high for a time as a result. Somehow I had a very good time overall, but I heard many first time cruisers saying they'd never do it again. I received a 50% off voucher for a future cruise as a result of my experience on the Destiny. I'd say you probably will have a great time, and not to worry. The odds of a ship breakdown are still really low, but significantly higher than the industry average...

I was on the Desiny last October when the AC broke. It was me and 2 friends. We were having a great time until the AC broke. It was our first cruise, so we did not have anything to compare it to. We thought the ship looked great. The beds were super comforatable. No strange smell. We didn't really consider the ship dirty at all.

We had said after the whole AC issue we would never cruise again, but after cooling off, we realized we had a really great time and are looking into using our 50% voucher next year.

Go and have a good time.

I was on Destiny last summer and she was fine. Yes, the decor is a little over the top, but I noticed no problems or repair issues.

I feel for you folks who were there when the AC broke. Can't imagine that.

We had a balcony on Verandah so at least our room would have been tolerable part of the time.

Hi! The Destiny was constructed with a swim up bar but it no longer functions as a swim up bar. I was on her in May and there were people sitting on the bar stools but there is no service there.

In my opinion and compared to the 5 other Carnival ships I have been on, yes, the Destiny is in disrepair. Our A/C quit working once will on board and I think I blew a fuse blow drying my hair b/c the TV and lights went out in the Vanity area. Both problems were fixed in a very timely fashion. Once our toilet stopped flushing but 5 minutes after I tried to flush it, it flushed itself so that didn't last long either.

I was disappointed in the ship because I know Carnival can do better. There were ceiling tiles in the dining room that were just hanging, looking like they could fall any minute. There were panels of lights and light bulbs that had burnt out, taken out but never replaced, leaving socket holes. How hard is it to replace a lighbulb? Oh and the carpet in our room was extremely stained. Once stop was even sticky.

I never noticed any foul smells on the ship and the food was just as good as any other Carnival ship I've sailed on.

These things weren't enough to ruin my cruise nor did the prevent me from having any fun. I just expect more from Carnival when it comes to maintaining their ships. The one thing I took from this experience is that I will not book older ships anymore.

Take it for what its worth...only my opinion. I hope you have a fabulous cruise. At least you won't be at work!

I sailed the Destiny in February. It was my first cruise, so I have nothing to compare it with. That said, it was wonderful. Didn't have any of the problems mentioned, didn't notice ceiling tiles or light bulbs out. We had a balcony cabin on verandah. No odd smells, no noise. Great food and service.

If the Destiny is considered to be old and run down, I can't wait for February 05 to see what the Victory will be like!

Thanks guys. I won't expect perfection so I won't be disappointed. Heck, I'll be on the ocean, I don't have to cook or wash dishes, I don't have to make my bed and I'll have no responsibilities. Yep, I'll have fun alright, even if I just sit out on my balcony and watch the ocean go by. :D

"If you're looking for dust, you'll find dust". This is why I hate the holidays. It seems like they're (my family) always doing an inspection. After cruising 4 different CCL ships, from the Conquest to the Imagination, I have enjoyed each ship with it's quirks and 'different' decor. the food has always been consistant, service good ( although the older ships the crew does seem a bit more relaxed... specially the Destiny- with all the POC, they have an easier week). Bottom line, I'd cruise the Destiny again, but most likely will try a different ship/itinerary.

I just got back from the Destiny on Sunday, the 27th and she is a wonderful ship. There was no dirt that I noticed, I did not look either, there were no smells at all. It was the most wonderful vacation I have ever taken. Josh, the cruise director, was great. Everything we wanted or needed showed up in time, ie: extra beach towels, room service, ice bucket. I didn't notice at all that she was in any kind of disrepair. Everything was clean and shiny. We plan to book another cruise on her next June.

6-20-2004 Carnival Destiny

Thanks Karlyn, we're going on the Destiny next Feb and are really looking forward to our trip so it's good to know you had such a great time. Also, does anyone happen to know when the Destiny next goes in to drydock for "sprucing"?

• 3 weeks later...

hay im a teenager whos going on the destiny on august 8th. im really looking forward to it getting on the ship and lounging about in the sun. hahaha. it sounds great and im not worried that she will smell strange or the food will b bad.have a good trip everyone!

later,

triple_threat

My parents did the July 4 th sailing. They thought the ship was in great shape and had a super time. Their biggest complaint was that the crew picked up thigns too quickly!!!

I could have sworn they said the swim up bar was operating. :confused:

My cousin and I will be sailing the Destiny in Sept. We cannot wait. I have heard alot of Negitivity about the Ship, food not good, food good, ship dirty, ship not dirty.. gee Well I am going on a cruise, and getting waited on hand and foot. LOL I will not have to do any cooking and no dishes. Lay around, and not even have to make a bed.. WE will be on VACATION.. and I think you make a cruise the way you want to make a cruise. I Itinary is awesome.

alot of great ports.

WE WILL HAVE THE TIME OF OUR LIFE :p

Archived