Juneau - Mendenhall

najune

Can someone tell me if the 1/2 mile trail I've read about from the Mendenhall visitor center is smooth enough to push a wheel chair? Person is mobile and could walk a short distance if it gets too bumpy, but don't think she'd make 1/2 mile and back.

Thanks much.

I've been there 3 times, but couldn't remember which trails are truly accessible, so I checked the visitor center site at: http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/visitorinfo.html#access, and (home) http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/index.html. It describes the "Photo Point" trail (0.3 miles) as accessible, but doesn't say the same about the "Trail of Time" (0.5 miles). Hope this helps.

This was taken from the Visitor Centre website

"Basic facts about the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center's accessibility to visitors with disabilities:

» The visitor center has two accessible entrances - an upper entrance with a ramp and a lower entrance with elevators.

» The first parking lot offers restricted parking for vehicles displaying the international symbol of access or official identification issued by a city or state.

» Photo Point Trail and the salmon viewing are accessible"

Hope this helps

No, sorry the Interpretive trail (trail of time) is not doable with a wheel chair. Photo Point would be most of the way since it is "paved". There is an elevator from the lower level of the visitor center and a w/c ramp going directly into the second level.

This past summer they completed a very nice trail around the salmon viewing area; not sure what it's called. It has a bunch of elevated trail that keeps it pretty level and is very pretty. It is wheelchair accessible.

I think a person in a wheelchair could have a very good time at the visitor's center and get to wander about and see some nice stuff.

We have booked the Mendehnall Glacier & Gold Creek Salmon Bake tour for May 2006.

This might be a stupid question, but since I never been to Alaska I have no idea what I in for, just wondering on the Mendehnall Glacier area how close to you get the the glaciers and do you get to walk on them?

Thanks

Marcy:)

We have booked the Mendehnall Glacier & Gold Creek Salmon Bake tour for May 2006.

This might be a stupid question, but since I never been to Alaska I have no idea what I in for, just wondering on the Mendehnall Glacier area how close to you get the the glaciers and do you get to walk on them?

Thanks

Marcy:)

This type of tour takes you to the visitor center and there are paths to get a good view of the glacier, but you don't get to walk on it. The glacier is pretty big and looks closer than it is, but I won't tell you too much and spoil it for you. :) My first time there was the best because I didn't know what to expect. Enjoy your visit and enjoy the Star! We sailed the Star in late May, 2004.

Thanks to all for your replies - we will plan on the Photo Point and salmon area trails at Mendenhall. Skyblue4 - you depart on my birthday - have a wonderful cruise. We're on the NCL Sun 5/13, then I'm off to Arizona on 5/27.

Thanks to all for your replies - we will plan on the Photo Point and salmon area trails at Mendenhall. Skyblue4 - you depart on my birthday - have a wonderful cruise. We're on the NCL Sun 5/13, then I'm off to Arizona on 5/27.

What part of Arizona are you going to?

Check out theses beautiful pictures of Sedona

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=409495833&security=dheLXB :)

What part of Arizona are you going to?

Check out theses beautiful pictures of Sedona

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=409495833&security=dheLXB :)

Skyblue: We are going to Phoenix, Sedona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, the Verde Canyon train, Jerome - we will be going in circles all week! I had heard Sedona was beautiful, but your pictures were gorgeous - I can hardly wait. Where was the Red Planet Diner? Was it any good, fun, etc? Any suggestions on what to do - did you do a Pink Jeep tour?

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Nancy

Skyblue: We are going to Phoenix, Sedona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, the Verde Canyon train, Jerome - we will be going in circles all week! I had heard Sedona was beautiful, but your pictures were gorgeous - I can hardly wait. Where was the Red Planet Diner? Was it any good, fun, etc? Any suggestions on what to do - did you do a Pink Jeep tour?

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Nancy

Nancy,

The red planet diner(Hamburger place)Real cute,it is in red rock away from the Sedona strip(tourist trap ).Red Rock is in the opposite direction from Sedona about 10 mins the other way.Ask around they will tell you.Pink Jeep tour I have no clue I've lived in Phoenix for 12 yrs and always toured Sedona and red rock on our own.I've been to Jerome once,it is a very small old town not much to do but look at Sedona in the background.I had a friend that took the train ride and said it was beautiful.Have a nice time in my beautiful state of Arizona!:D :

Skyblue4: Do you check out the AZ forum in tripadvisor.com? We are basing in Phoenix and would love some insight from you. Would like to do that in another forum or direct e-mail and leave this board for cruisers. (nmock@houston.rr.com).

Nancy

Skyblue4: Do you check out the AZ forum in tripadvisor.com? We are basing in Phoenix and would love some insight from you. Would like to do that in another forum or direct e-mail and leave this board for cruisers. (nmock@houston.rr.com).

Nancy

Thanks for the info!:)

tickerfactory.com go to that site if you have any problem let me know:)

Yep, I went there, picked everything out, then tried adding it here to test it since several of you have managed to get it going; I went to edit Profile pictures and tried to add the url generated at tickerfactory and received a message it was invalid.

Yep, I went there, picked everything out, then tried adding it here to test it since several of you have managed to get it going; I went to edit Profile pictures and tried to add the url generated at tickerfactory and received a message it was invalid.

You have to add it to your signature!;)

Does anyone happen to know if you can take a city bus to Mendenhall glacier and what the cost would be or perhaps maybe a taxi? The ship's tour is $45 pp and I think we could probably get there cheaper than that.

For clairfication in Juneau the city bus and Mendenhall shuttle are 2 completely different buses. You can get to Mendenhall via city bus, about $1.50 each way, but the bus stop is a level mile from the visitor center and takes probably 45 min. each way. The shuttle buses run from the dock, there are at least 2 companies and current pricing is around $12pp, I will attempt to post this as I am on one of the first cruises this season, with the roommates using the shuttle.

We are going to Alaska in June. We will be in port from 7:00 am until 8:00 pm. We are doing the whale watching with Captain Larry. We are booked for his 9:00 excursion which is to be done around 12:30. We would also like to do the city tour/mendenhall glacier through Mightygreattrips. They told me they are doing a tour at 2:15 that day. It is a 2 1/2 hour tour. We also want to take the tram up to Mt Roberts. So below are my many questions :-) I hope you might be able to answer them. Thanks in advance.

1.Can you recommend what would be our best bet on which to do first after the whale watching?

*I thought perhaps we could do, the tram up to Mt Roberts, take photo's, perhaps grab a quick bite, then come back down the tram and head out to mightygreattrips for the city/mendenhall glacier tour.

2. Do you happen to know how far it is where we get dropped off after Captain Larrys tour, to the Mighty great trips excursion booth or to the tram to go up to Mt Roberts? Is this all in walking distance or will we need to hail a cab or take a bus? ( I thought I had read some where on the threads here, that these two places were right by each other.) I hope that is true.

3. If we take the tram up to Mt Roberts. Will we still have enough time to do the city tour/mendenhall glacier tour?

4. And one last question, LOL Do you happen to know what time most of the shops close for souvenirs? Can't forget those :)

Thanks so much for any help you can offer and I am sorry for so many questions. :eek:

We are going to Alaska in June. We will be in port from 7:00 am until 8:00 pm. We are doing the whale watching with Captain Larry. We are booked for his 9:00 excursion which is to be done around 12:30. We would also like to do the city tour/mendenhall glacier through Mightygreattrips. They told me they are doing a tour at 2:15 that day. It is a 2 1/2 hour tour. We also want to take the tram up to Mt Roberts. So below are my many questions :-) I hope you might be able to answer them. Thanks in advance.

1.Can you recommend what would be our best bet on which to do first after the whale watching?

*I thought perhaps we could do, the tram up to Mt Roberts, take photo's, perhaps grab a quick bite, then come back down the tram and head out to mightygreattrips for the city/mendenhall glacier tour.

2. Do you happen to know how far it is where we get dropped off after Captain Larrys tour, to the Mighty great trips excursion booth or to the tram to go up to Mt Roberts? Is this all in walking distance or will we need to hail a cab or take a bus? ( I thought I had read some where on the threads here, that these two places were right by each other.) I hope that is true.

3. If we take the tram up to Mt Roberts. Will we still have enough time to do the city tour/mendenhall glacier tour?

4. And one last question, LOL Do you happen to know what time most of the shops close for souvenirs? Can't forget those :)

Thanks so much for any help you can offer and I am sorry for so many questions. :eek:

Orca Enterprises drops off right next to the tram, so you have time to go up then if you wish, this is an all day ticket so you could go back up after MGT's tour. The MGT ticket booth is also next to the tram. Shops will be open until your ship leaves- plenty of shopping available.

Archived