Disappointed with Legend of the Seas- how about Voyager of the seas?

Hi- we did a Med cruise on the legend of the seas just over a year ago and was quite disappointed- particularly with the quality of the food in the main dining room and the windjammer- am interested in another Med cruise and have seen one this year on the Voyager of the Seas- obviously this is a much bigger and more modern ship- is it a lot better food wise as well? Any observations would be great- am used to sailing on the QM2 but love a Med cruise in the Autumn months- have I not really experienced Royal caribbean if only going on the legend of the Seas?

That's what I call the class with Legend in it. So small, so weak in performance. But some folks like the small ships. I don't. Service isn't what it is on the new larger ships. Even Radiance class at 90K GT is small to me, but what a view, what great food, what great service. Voyager seems to have it all, everything you could want while at sea. From parades to ice shows, from rock wall to a Promenade that will blow you away when you see it.

So time for an upgrade to a great cruise! Radiance class or better........

Hi- we did a Med cruise on the legend of the seas just over a year ago and was quite disappointed- particularly with the quality of the food in the main dining room and the windjammer- am interested in another Med cruise and have seen one this year on the Voyager of the Seas- obviously this is a much bigger and more modern ship- is it a lot better food wise as well? Any observations would be great- am used to sailing on the QM2 but love a Med cruise in the Autumn months- have I not really experienced Royal caribbean if only going on the legend of the Seas?

I am really Sorry to hear that you did not like the Legend...we also sailed on her last July/august to the Med and really enjoyed it. We have booked again for this summer.. with our family... on a different Med itinery. I appreciate the food was not 5*..but I don't think many ships are these days....and it was not our priority. The ship, ports and Sea cruise were..and Legend filled our needs with flying colors. we loved all the light and brightness of the Vision class..with all the views of the sea. we thought she was a beautiful ship. In excellent condition. The itinery for us, was also very good....and the crew made us feel right at home and couldn't do enough for us. So we were very happy. But that's US..

However....The Legend certainly isn't the QM2...not many ships are in this league. The QM2, is a very different level in it's own... Very much more the Traditional liners of the past in many ways. It is certainly a lot more expensive... and much more formal. imo..But then I have never sailed on her.

The voyager obviously, has a lot of extras and is twice as big as Legend. So it should be much more to your taste. I am not sure whether there is any difference in the dining room/Windjammer food...judging by all the posts. But there are several eating options.....and I would imagine with more choice, you would have a much better prospect of finding food you like somewhere. Possibly in one of the specialty restaurants. Which are always rated excellent. The accommodation, I would also think to be far superior to the LOS..more balconies.. suites etc. ... In our case, ...we found the LOS prices were far cheaper than any other ships going to the Med. A Major decision factor for us...and we wanted to dress up a bit...but to feel comfortable. All of the RC ships are beautiful..with lots to offer...I am sure one of them will be right for you. Good Luck! regards, Carol

I'm a Diamond cruiser with RCCL. We've been on Vision-, Voyager- and Radiance-class ships. Voyager class has more bells and whistles as far as the ship goes. Radiance class are newer. But, may favorite ever was Grandeur of the Seas -- a very elegant lady!

As for food, it doesn't vary much from ship to ship, in my opinion. Beef quality has declined considerably in the last few years. Soups are always outstanding. We always enjoy dessert. Main courses are hit and miss. We've found this to be the case regardless of ship class. The food quality is better in Portofino on the Voyager class ships. We haven't been overly impressed with Chops on the Voyager or Radiance class.

My advice -- if you want consistently outstanding food, choose a different line. And, it will probably have to be a luxury line, as opposed to mass market.

Hi Lyn...your description of the Grandeur of the Seas...is exactly how we felt about the Legend. She was very elegant... had a lot of class..but was very warm and friendly. We are looking forward to returning this August.

Texancruzer...I hope you have a Great time on your LOS cruise. Regards, Carol

Thnaks for all your comments- shall certainly bear them in mind! One thing we did like- as mentioned above- were the soups- we had a fantastic washington apple soup- never had it before and it was lovely!

We've always had better than average food on all our cruises. I'm puzzeled when folks say the food wasn't good. What exactly didn't you like? Was it the service, presentation, taste, not hot enough, etc...? I'm starting to think my standards are too low!

Food is very subjective. We've sailed the Legend twice and enjoyed the food and thought the service was fabulous. They changed the menus recently on one of our cruises and we were very disappointed with the dessert options... 3 nights in a row without a chocolate dessert in site... but we told the waiter we wanted something chocolate and without as much as a roll of his eyes, he said very good and brought us the best chocolate dessert platter I've ever seen!

Have you ever suggested your favorite restaurant to someone, only to find out they didnt' like it? Well that's cruising to me. Everyone has a little different taste and certainly different expections.

I will certainly agree the Voyager class ships have more onboard options, but I wouldn't expect the dining experience to be significantly different than the Vision class ships.

Hope you find a sailing you like. Bon Voyage.

lol, cruisercarol - you are a one-woman Legend booster! :) I don't think I've seen a thread about her that doesn't involve you at some point! I, too, really liked her, and for many of the reasons you stated. I've sailed big (Navigator, Carnival Pride) and small (Legend, Vision) and there are certainly things to be said about all of them, but I have found the crew to be the most solicitous, and the atmosphere most 'welcoming' on the smaller ships. I don't think I've noticed much difference in the food, except for the breadth of variety, as the larger ships simply have more venues. I have also found that the bigger ships are more "inward-looking" without as many spaces that remind you that you are, after all, on a ship. This isn't to say I don't like the big ships. In fact, bonni99, I'll be sailing Voyager transatlantic on the trip that delivers her to her summertime med home. That 13 day voyage includes 7 days at sea, so I'm glad I'm on one of the larger ships with a bit more to keep us busy!

We just returned from our very first cruise. We were on the Voyager. All we can say is we thought the food, service, etc. in the dining room was OUTSTANDING!!! As another person mentioned opinions on food quality is very subjective. Each person can have a totally different opinion eating the exact same food.

lol, cruisercarol - you are a one-woman Legend booster! :) I don't think I've seen a thread about her that doesn't involve you at some point! I, too, really liked her, and for many of the reasons you stated. I've sailed big (Navigator, Carnival Pride) and small (Legend, Vision) and there are certainly things to be said about all of them, but I have found the crew to be the most solicitous, and the atmosphere most 'welcoming' on the smaller ships. I don't think I've noticed much difference in the food, except for the breadth of variety, as the larger ships simply have more venues. I have also found that the bigger ships are more "inward-looking" without as many spaces that remind you that you are, after all, on a ship. This isn't to say I don't like the big ships. In fact, bonni99, I'll be sailing Voyager transatlantic on the trip that delivers her to her summertime med home. That 13 day voyage includes 7 days at sea, so I'm glad I'm on one of the larger ships with a bit more to keep us busy!

IMNiles.....thank you so much for your great sense of humor. I am indeed the Legend Cheerleader. But even I am beginning to worry why I spend so much time talking about her. Something about "Get a Life" comes to mind. I do think posters must be well and truly tired of seeing my name.. and reading my memoirs of days onboard . It is a great relief to find lots of new posters here on cc, who are now enjoying Legend just as much as I did...and writing about it. Last year it was very different.. lots of negativity in the posts. Many people seem to reject the smaller ships....but for us it offered everything we wanted... and much, much, more.

Your Voyager transatlantic crossing sounds brilliant...It's great having 7 days at sea....you will have plenty of time to enjoy everything onboard. The size of her must be amazing....twice the Legend. We had 5 sea days last year.. This August, we will be on a different itinery, that has 2 overnight stops in Barcelona and Palma...and a full day in Gibralter. So a bit less sea time...and more in port.

I know lots of people have higher expectations than I do, and demand a lot more variety. But I wanted the sea cruise foremost... our itinery was very port intensive..so the size of the Legend was just right for me. I didn't want to sleep as it was...just in case I missed something. But If given the chance, I would definitely like to try some of the different RC ships as well. I am sure I would love them...they are all beautiful. From what I have read, The Radiance class, would probably suit us well. Its' a little bit bigger..with some extra facilities...but still is light and bright, with lots of glass. I Hope you write and tell us all about your Voyager crossing..Have a Great Cruise...Thanks so much for the support! regards, Carol

The crew on LOS, certainly were wonderful. We made friends with a waiter in the Windjammer while onboard...and were very surprised to receive several Emails from him on our return home. Just making sure we arrived home safely.

cruisercarol -

I keep meaning to sail Radiance class, since I think they may be about the perfect balance for me, but I can't seem to line it up. I was going to sail a radiance ship transatlantic, but the dates didn't work so I'm on Voyager instead (Legend was cheapest, but I just sailed legend in December).

I'll miss Raul the pool bartender from Legend though (he's moving to Freedom, so may be gone by the time you sail her again), as he took care of me by hoarding all the remaining stock of british ales. I keep hoping they'll stock the bars differently for the crossing, but I suspect they won't get their med selection until after we arrive.

IMNiles....

Hi again....I think you will really enjoy the voyager. It will be perfect for a transatlantic cruise...Lots of sea days to enjoy all the festivities onboard. After all, What's not to like, there is so much on offer. The Voyager class, seems to be the most popular...everyone writes about them...and recommends them. I would like to see the ice skating..which ship has the seaview cafe? There were a lot of good write ups about it. My only worry, is I think I would be totally exhausted trying to see and do everything. I'd definitely have to give up sleeping...and my husband. He'd never keep up with it all.

I am very excited about Navigator arriving in the UK next year. At the moment, the only ship affordable in our budget is Legend. The larger ships are currently sailing from Europe. This makes it much more expensive, because of the flights involved.. Once they are sailing from the UK... I am hoping, it might be cheaper...and there are going to be some short cruises as well. so we just might stand a chance of getting onboard.

What did you think of the Navigator? Did you enjoy your cruise? It must be 10 times as beautiful as the Legend. with all the extra areas. I liked the idea of the Radiance class ... as it has a lot of glass...and is in between... but I'd gladly sail on any ship. regards, carol

cruiser_carol:

Voyager is very similar to Navigator (I believe it's missing 'chops'), so I'm quite sure I will be comfortable. Navigator is a fine ship, and since she was the first cruise ship I was ever on, I was forever spoiled by all the things to see and do! The seaview cafe, I believe, is limited to the Radiance Class. "anytime" food on Voyager would by Johnny Rockets or the Promenade Cafe. I've heard that they've recently tweaked the menu at the seaview and it is somewhat less popular now. I really enjoyed the little sandwiches and cookies at the cafe (I'm a real cookie monster), and the non-availability of anytime free french fries was probably a GOOD thing for my waist! The windjammer is simply enormous. I was instantly struck at how huge it was. In fact, that was my initial reaction about everything on this ship - how BIG it all was.

I didn't really notice it until I sailed Vision, but you definitely lose some of the "on a ship" feeling on the big ships. They are so much more inward-looking, without as many big windows. Somebody could plunk you down on the promenade, and if the seas are calm you'd never know you were on a ship. I spend a lot of time outside on the promenade deck, so this isn't a huge deal to me, but as "big" as the Voyager class ships feel (you don't feel claustrophobic, certainly), they're not "as big as the ocean", which is how the Vision class ships can feel when you're standing in one of the heavily-windowed spaces. That said, I really enjoyed the huge variety of public spaces on Navigator. I never felt like I was sitting in the same bar every night. In fact, I made it a game to visit every bar on the ship, and I had a hard time doing it in the week I had! I never did get to see the ice show, so I'm looking forward to that. The first time I even saw the ice skating rink was on debarkation day, when that was my assigned waiting area. I'm glad I have nearly two weeks to see it all now.

As nice as Voyager is, though, I definitely found that the 'atmosphere' on Vision and Legend were more congenial. It's not that the staff on Navigator weren't nice -- they were -- I think it's just that they had so many more people to contend with. On Legend and Vision, I got to know the Activities Director (who knew I was sailing alone and made a point of stopping to say hi often), and the bartenders who served me regularly. I really felt like if I ran into these people on the street, we'd still stop and chat (and in fact, in port, we did!). They knew my name, and I theirs. I live in a fairly small town for pretty much the same reason - I like going to the coffee shop and meeting familiar friendly faces.

IMNiles....great to hear from you again, and thanks for telling me all about your Navigator cruise, versus the Legend and the Vision. They all sound fantastic.I have only legend to compare...but in my mind...from looking at all the photos and reading what people had to say...I came to a similiar conclusion that you did.

Most people that choose the voyager Class, do so, as it has so many activities..and they are normally traveling as a family. These are the definite choice to keep the kids happy. The Crew have so many more passengers to deal with...and so much more to keep running..that it is bound to be less personal service. We loved the Windjammer on Legend..and I was glad to hear that Navigators' is so massive. it looked big in the photos I have seen..but you can't really see clearly the seating etc. You would definitely need 14 days..or more... to see and do everything onboard.It would definitely be fun, with so much going on. The ships really do seem huge. but then they are 2 Legends..which is amazing.

The vision and Legend are so much smaller and simpler.....yet in the 14 days I was onboard.. I still didn't get to do everything I wanted. I was up fairly late in the morning.. and Missed a lot of activities in the daily programs. I only had a drink in a couple different places.... never had a breakfast..and only 1 lunch.. in the dining room. I only sat down on a deck chair for a few minutes a couple times. We had terrible winds the whole cruise....the outside decks were closed off twice..and the dreaded chair hogs. So I was always on the move...rather than sitting and relaxing. This cruise was very port intensive....A hundred times more walking then I do at home.. So it was really exhausting trying to do a full day ashore and then carry on till the wee hours onboard. But it was absolutely wonderful.

The crew were wonderful.. Like yourself, we made friends. Stephon herbert in the windjammer. He Emailed us several times after we left. Andy in the dining room was our assistant waiter...he was so lovely...with such a beautiful smile. His partner.. also worked on the upper level of the dining room. We ran into him ashore in corsica...He called out to us and stopped to chat. the photographer was brilliant at helping me sort out my first digital camera...and the video I borrowed from my son. Very, very patient with me. He spent loads of time on 3 occasions..and did a beautiful job of developing our photos. We were on the train together to Monaco...he helped us sort our tickets and showed us the way. Everyone was so kind onboard..we never expected such service.. It was also very genuine...not someone being nice to you, just for the sake of a tip. So long for now....Gotta go... It's half past 1 in the morning...Regards, Carol

We will be on Legend in Nov. What did you not like about Legend, (just the food?) other things?

Thanks

Monica

Thanks Carol !! I KNOW I will enjoy my Legend cruise. I enjoy ALL my cruises.

I just remember walking onto the Rhapsody (first cruise) and thinking " Whew this is a big ship " Serenade was bigger and definately beautiful with all the glass elevators etc.... but really didnt spend much time on her due to the port intensive itinerary of the So Caribbean sailing.

My father was a merchant marine when I was small - he sailed the super tankers !!!! Now he would say they were small ;)

Thanks Carol !! I KNOW I will enjoy my Legend cruise. I enjoy ALL my cruises.

I just remember walking onto the Rhapsody (first cruise) and thinking " Whew this is a big ship " Serenade was bigger and definately beautiful with all the glass elevators etc.... but really didnt spend much time on her due to the port intensive itinerary of the So Caribbean sailing.

My father was a merchant marine when I was small - he sailed the super tankers !!!! Now he would say they were small ;)

Hi Texancruzer....I have no doubt that you will enjoy your cruise on Legend. Maybe she's not as big.. or has as many activities...but a beautiful ship just the same. Her crew are wonderful. The Legend still seemed really Big to me, as the last time I cruised in the late 70's, ships were around 30,000 tons.

I was very interested to hear about your dad on the super tankers...I have come across a lot of them in my earlier life..and they are Enormous. You must be proud of your dad... and he must have some great sea tales to tell. My husband spent 20 years in submarines....and I actually traveled myself by cargo ships in the 70's.. Not something usually associated with younger people..but I was desperate to travel...loved the sea...and it was very cheap then. You could go further afield than on a cruise ship...for much longer.. and much less money. It was a wonderful experience..very exciting. We were often near the docking areas for the huge supertankers.

We started with an Oriental freighter we cruised on out of Miami. It actually carried 80 passengers and was like a mini cruise ship..with a lovely dining room and special dinners ..a bar..hairdresser etc. We had a beautiful cabin (my parents and I) and sailed all over the Far East..for 4 months.We would be weeks at sea. An added bonus, we actually saw a lot of the US first.All along the East coast ports... before transitting the Panama Canal. A Stop in Panama..Nicaragua..and Guatemala...then onto several ports in california...(.including passing under the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco).... before crossing the Pacific. We visited about a dozen ports, in several countries, including Hong Kong. I also went thru the Philippines on another trip...and to the middle east.. Beirut, Syria, Egypt..and The Ukraine, bulgaria, and a lot of other unusual places. these were on standard 12 passenger freighters. quite basic..but amazing adventures just the same. The captain and officers dined with us. We were allowed access to the bridge. We met a lot of different nationalities..and made some very lasting friendships. A really great education that I have never forgotten. regards, Carol

wow carol, that sounds like a great way to have grown up! We were more of the "same vacation every summer" types, and although those are very fond memories, I do find that I'm trying to pack in all my adventure now that I'm a bit older, and before I'm so old I can't do it (that's a long way off, hopefully)! I do also kind of feel that I'm in this race to see all the interesting places that are left in the world before they're all overrun with KFC and the Gap. Of course, some would say that sailling at a leisurely 13 day pace across the Atlantic (our next cruise - less than 30 days away!) doesn't count as adventure, but those would be fighting words. :)

It's interesting to me that the one cause for "disappointment" is the food taste. Last year on the Legend, we had a head chef from Australia, and the food was excellent. Not 6 star, but better than 4 star. I guess everyone is different when it comes to taste.

My DW and I are headed back to Europe, England and the Baltics in a few weeks on the Jewel of the Seas. This will be our first experience on a Radiance class ship. Frankly, we love the Vision class.

Carol knows of our love for the Legend. If the itinerary were different, we would spend much more time on her. And Carol, keep defending her. You know what it's all about.

Rick

Hey Carol and all -

Long time, no chat. I've not been on the boards recently as I've been cruising the Disney boards for our trip in December.

Although we are still partial to the larger Explorer ship, we loved the Legend and all her beauty. It's muted colors were more asthetically pleasing to the eye, then the bright colors on the Explorer.

I actually thought the food on the Legend was better than on the Explorer and the service was outstanding. Our waiter, Roger was fantastic and did a great job accommodating any special request that we had to the best of his ability.

Carol - just an aside, the adjoining room 3032-3034, were great. When we arrived, we asked the room steward to unlock the adjoining door and we pretty much kept it open during the day and closed at night for sleeping. It doesn't have a manual lock that we could turn each night, so it remained unlocked during the cruise. I was concerned about noise, but didn't find that to be an issue. The only crazy thing was the remote worked both TV's so sometimes I would change the TV in the other room and vice versa.

Can't wait to book our next cruise!

Hey Carol and all -

Long time, no chat. I've not been on the boards recently as I've been cruising the Disney boards for our trip in December.

Although we are still partial to the larger Explorer ship, we loved the Legend and all her beauty. It's muted colors were more asthetically pleasing to the eye, then the bright colors on the Explorer.

I actually thought the food on the Legend was better than on the Explorer and the service was outstanding. Our waiter, Roger was fantastic and did a great job accommodating any special request that we had to the best of his ability.

Carol - just an aside, the adjoining room 3032-3034, were great. When we arrived, we asked the room steward to unlock the adjoining door and we pretty much kept it open during the day and closed at night for sleeping. It doesn't have a manual lock that we could turn each night, so it remained unlocked during the cruise. I was concerned about noise, but didn't find that to be an issue. The only crazy thing was the remote worked both TV's so sometimes I would change the TV in the other room and vice versa.

Can't wait to book our next cruise!

Hi Phantom...It's Fantastic to see you back on CC. I miss all those days of chatting together.. with Setting Sail.. and Jaminski?....Do you Remember, She was planning a wedding on Legend..than decided to change to another ship..then disappeared from the boards. I have often wondered what happened to her...and if she got married.

As you can see, I am still here supporting the Legend. I really do need to get a life!! There have been an awful ot of happy cruisers on her recently..so that is Great news. We are sailing with her again on August 5th...once more to the Med..but with a few different ports. I cannot believe it is April already...time is flying by.

Thankyou so much for telling us about cabins 3032/3034..My twin daughters and their boyfriends will be sharing these cabins...so there is no worry with locking the door. The girls will be running back and forth between the 2 rooms...so it will be open most of the time. It will be great having a guys.. bathroom... and a girls..bathroom.. for them to get ready at night. The remote control changing both TVs' is a laugh. I told the girls. I wonder if you could tell me what color the cabins were decorated in? We were in 3024 last year, and it was decorated in shades of jade green and cream color on the walls. I just wondered if all cabins were the same color on that deck..or if it varied.

My one daughter, has gotten engaged...and they both turned 21 in Feb....so this is a joint present for them..plus a 25th anniversary for us. However, The girls have given us an uphill struggle over this cruise. They are upset we have spent so much money...it was a worry..but they are all great kids...who deserve a good vacation. This will be a First for them. They also seem to think cruising is for old people...like in the days of Titanic! I keep telling them all... the very disappointing news...." last year on the Legend, Mom and Dad were Virtually the Oldest Couple Onboard." lol.... It truly was all 30/40 somethings and a lot of youngsters. Not many over 50's..or 60 in DH case. But! we never hit the cabin before 1am..and only because DH dragged me. I did have permanent red eyes the whole cruise. Not a good look for the Captains photo!

Seriously, I am really looking forward to seeing their faces. I know that they will be shocked when they see the ship for the first time. It will seem absolutely huge to them.. as they have only ever seen a photo before. The girls will love the chance to dress up..and will think the atrium is amazing....with the glass elevators and marble stairways. They could end up being like those horrible kids that ride up and down in it all day. I wouldn't put it past my girls. The dining room will certainly impress them...and especially the mountains of cookies in the Windjammer. They really love their cookies..and typically, they are as tiny as anything. I Suppose I could say I was the same once!!... only trouble is, it was about 40 years ago...so doesn't mean a lot now! .. Keep in touch, Fond regards, carol

Archived