Tampa Port

imacrusing

We have never cruised from Tampa..so...I need to know the closest hotel to Port that hopefully can see ships sail in) and also which terminal HAL uses in Tampa. Also, how close is the parking to terminal since I use a scooter to get around ..hoping we can park and then I can ride scooter to terminal.

thank you for your assistance.

Imacrusing

Sorry I can't help you on a hotel however I can tell you that the parking garage is directly across the street from the Terminal. In fact there is an area where you can unload at the terminal and than park. You should have no problem with a scooter.

Have a great cruise !!

We cruised Ryndam on 4/9/06, went out of pier 6, close parking was a fenced in area in front of pier. Parking garage(covered) was across from pier 3, I think, maybe a block away. Across from our pier was the office building for the Tampa Port Authority. As I recall there was construction in area of pier 6 which could make travel in a power chair troublesome. I am not sure of this as I was mostly thinking about starting our cruise , which was outstanding. Good Luck and Happy Sailing. Okbowler

We were on the Ryndam in March and we walked from the Marriott to the ships. There is a lot of construction going on in the area so it may not be easy to navigate the area in a scooter. There is a parking garage across from the piers that looked all right but it's not too close to the hotel. You can however drive up to the pier and unload the luggage pretty easily and then go park the car. I don't know if this helps if the driver is the one in the scooter. I don't recall any hotels right by the ships.

You might be able to see the ships from the Marriott if you are on one of the higher floors but I'm not sure. It's a pretty location though and a beautiful hotel. We didn't stay there but they were kind enough to look after our luggage for us while we killed some time walking around the port and Channelside mall where we had a nice lunch right next to the Carnival ship at Bennigans.

Enjoy your cruise.

Cheers,

Pam

Tampa is a great port and the easiest of all ports if you drive your own car. We stayed at the Marriott Waterside also and I'm sure it is the closest to the pier, less than a 5 minute drive. The parking lot is directly in front of the terminal. Pull up to the terminal, drop your luggage with a porter for him to take to the ship, and then drive around into the lot. You pay upon entrance for the length of your cruise, park, and then just walk out of the lot and into the terminal. There were not many cars and it is a huge lot. DH parked right at the gate to the terminal.

I usually get out with the carry-ons when we give the big luggage to the porter and then wait on a bench with the carry-on for DH to drive around.

Well the MArriott looks great but they are quoting $304 per night to stay there..almost fainted. Did you pay that much when you stayed there???

Tampa is a great port and the easiest of all ports if you drive your own car. We stayed at the Marriott Waterside also and I'm sure it is the closest to the pier, less than a 5 minute drive.

Well the MArriott looks great but they are quoting $304 per night to stay there..almost fainted. Did you pay that much when you stayed there???

We didn't pay anything like that. The price of lodging in Florida depends on the 'season'. I don't know when you are cruising, but it sounds like it must be during high tourist season. Rates rise or drop in FL depending on the tourist demand. We were there in late October which is still the hurricane season and not yet the winter season or the holidays, so rates were much lower. (I'll have to look up on my records to see exactly what we did pay, but it was nowhere near $300/night.)

The Marriott AAA rate is a lot lower. We paid $189. We asked for a view to pier 6 and they gave us just that.

The marriott is at the end of the trolley line which is a good way to see the city. It goes to Ybor and past pier 6.

The Marriott also has a Hertz desk.

We have never cruised from Tampa..so...I need to know the closest hotel to Port that hopefully can see ships sail in) and also which terminal HAL uses in Tampa. Also, how close is the parking to terminal since I use a scooter to get around ..hoping we can park and then I can ride scooter to terminal.

thank you for your assistance.

Imacrusing

Check out the pre/post Hotel section on these Boards (the main boards) - there is a HUGE thread on Tampa hotels. A local guy (Cracker Ken) gives wonderful advise on all the areas and hotels. We stayed at the Chase Suites in Rocky Point in February and loved it. They offer "ship to shore" packages with free shuttle from the airport, free shuttle from the hotel to the pier, and free again from the pier back to the airport the following week. Can't beat it! Good luck - check out that other board - very helpful . . . :)

We are going Nov 10-11 for the Nov 11th cruise...Maybe I will call them and see..Might be a football weekend for the Bucs too

Thank you all for yoru assistance

Linda

We didn't pay anything like that. The price of lodging in Florida depends on the 'season'. I don't know when you are cruising, but it sounds like it must be during high tourist season. Rates rise or drop in FL depending on the tourist demand. We were there in late October which is still the hurricane season and not yet the winter season or the holidays, so rates were much lower. (I'll have to look up on my records to see exactly what we did pay, but it was nowhere near $300/night.)

• 1 month later...

hi,

My hubby and I r driving to Tampa the night B4 we leave and got a decent deal @ the Best western 813-282-3636.(not sure of the view)

for 1 night, pick up at airport if needed, plus a free ride to and from the port when we get back, as well as being able to leave the vehicle for 30 days if needed for about $130.00.

Hope this helps.

:D

We have stayed at Marriott Waterside three times and really like that hotel. We ask for a view of the piers and have always seen the Carnival ship if it is in port but only saw Veendam/Ryndam when they were sailing in or out of the harbor.

We have also stayed at the Wyndam Harbour Island and thought the place to be awful. We would not stay there again. It is VERY close to Marriott......two minute walk.

Yes the Mariott is expensive. Living in Tampa we only stay there during the Gasrarilla Parade. That price though does seem a little out of line. There could be a convention right across the street then at the convention center.

New to open though right across the street from the Mariott is a brand new "Embassy Suites." They have opened up online booking recently. If you stay on a higher floor you might be able to see the ships. If I remember it officially opens in August.

Parking is a breeze. Right in front of the terminal.

Hope this helps.

The price of the Marriott Waterside was no way near 300.00 when we stayed there. I used Marriott points but did look into the price first. They had a cruise special which included breakfast.

Yes ,you can see some ships from the hotel. When I was there you could see a Carnival ship if you walked out on the back patio. I could not see the Hal ship.

Checked again today and 304 is cheapest rate...they dont have any AAA rates available..I called and talked with them and they said for November they have conventions and that is why no lower rates available.

So we are staying at Sheraton on Ashley..about a mile away.

Archived