Anyone try BOB?

tess2cruz

I just did the BOB excursion last week and you WILL NOT be disappointed, it was just the coolest thing I've ever done and so easy to do, their instructions are great. You get to snorkel until it's your turn and you get to be on the BOB for about 1/2 hour. Divers go down with you (depth of about 8ft) and help you along the way and don't forget to bring a water camera. You just strap it to your wrist and the diver comes along and takes it off your wrist and takes some photos of you. I can't wait to get my developed.

They are hard to steer but move very slowly, I started off going around in circles but soon caught the hang of it.

When I got back on the boat, the captain remarked that I obviously enjoyed myself since I was grinning from ear to ear.

Money well spent, you won't be sorry. There were a couple of boys on our tour, I would say about 10-12 years old. People of all ages, you only have to hold you breathe for a couple of seconds while you get you head up into the bubble.

Book this one fast as it tends to sell out quickly.

ENJOY!!!!

My husband, father in law and I went on this excursion last May in St. Thomas and L-O-V-E-D every minute of it. My first time to see a sea turtle while snorkeling. They boat you out to a reef off of St. Croix and the water and sea life is amazing.

My hubby has a problem with ear-popping and he found this to be fine. Your ears may "pop" as you go down to depth, but should be way easier than say, an airplane ride.

They sell Bob T-shirts on the boat for $20 and that afternoon when we were shopping in port, so many people had put their shirts on and were just beaming about what a great time they had. We look back on this as one of our best excursions to date. Definitely bring underwater cameras, as they will snap a bunch and you may want to snap some while snorkeling. If you snorkel near where they have the Bob group underwater, you should see lots of fish as the divers feed them.

Definitely recommend this excursion. Have a great time!

It might be that you can only book this excursion through your cruise ship. I am not totally sure of that though.

You do not need to know how to swim. They asked specifically who could and couldn't swim and they put different wrist bands on those who couldn't swim so the divers knew when you were underwater. Although I would be leary about putting out the money unless that person was comfortable putting their head under water. I don't imagine they would refund your money if you wanted to back out.

The captain of the boat was remarking to be that he is always amazed at the courage of those who do this excursion that do not know how to swim.

Does the BOB excursion booked from the cruise stop in St. Thomas actually go out near St. Croix? We have booked this excursion. It sounds like a blast. I can't get my ears wet and thought you put the bubble on without getting wet. Do you have to go under the water first? THX

Bevard,

Yes, you would get your ears wet since they put the Bobs in the water and you jump in once the captain assigns you to one and then grasp the back of the bubble part and pull yourself under water and up into the bubble. It only take a couple of seconds and then you head is completely out of water inside the bubble.

As for St.Croix, I'm not sure where that is but don't recall them saying that name. They drive you to a smaller island about 15-20mins away from where the ships are docked and you are in like a bay area.

Hope that helps.

Hello Bevard & Cindy,

The BOB excursion doesn't go out to St. Croix. St. Croix is one of the US Virgin Islands, it is 40 miles away from St. Thomas. There is a Buck Island off of St. Croix and also a Buck Island off of St. Thomas, this sometimes causes confusion. In anycase excursions that leave from St. Thomas, like BOB, that state that they are going to Buck Island - are going to the one off of St. Thomas.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Bevard,

Yes, you would get your ears wet since they put the Bobs in the water and you jump in once the captain assigns you to one and then grasp the back of the bubble part and pull yourself under water and up into the bubble. It only take a couple of seconds and then you head is completely out of water inside the bubble.

As for St.Croix, I'm not sure where that is but don't recall them saying that name. They drive you to a smaller island about 15-20mins away from where the ships are docked and you are in like a bay area.

Hope that helps.

I have this excursion booked for august. However i'm starting to get a little nervous. do you feel claustrophobic when you go into the water and then have to put your head into the bubble underwater? Does it take a long time to get your head into the bubble? :eek:

JUST DO IT! We did the BOB on our AoS Cruise (3/26-4/1) and had a blast! The 4 of us (my wife, son 14 and daughter 11) all had a rocking time.

The pictures on the BOB website dont do it justice. We bought disposable underwater cameras at Wally-mart before we left and the divers use your camera for pictures - they came out great! I HIGHLY recommend this...

This sounds fun, but I am wondering about one thing...other than the 30 minutes or so you are in the BOB, what else is there to do? Someone said you can snorkle while waiting for your turn in the BOB. Okay, but how good is the snorkeling? Are you bumping into the people in the BOBs or can you get away to a spot and see some stuff you might not see while in the BOB? And if you're off the boat snorkeling how will you know when it's your turn to use the BOB?

As I said, this sounds fun, but I just want to be sure it's not 3 hours of mostly boredom/sitting around waiting for your turn and just 1/2 hour of fun. That wouldn't be worth $100 IMO.

Thanks for any comments.

There is great snorkeling - you are at turtle cove... rays, turtles, fish... the BOBs go "away" from the snorkelers....

I will tell you, when we went, there were 3 'shifts', and we "BOB'd" second.

It was fun to snorkel, check out the sea life, then BOB - then see the others BOB-ing and know what we looked like.

WELL worth the $$. I took the wal-mart camera, and the pictures came out great!

I know this is listed as a Carnival excursion but when I pull up the excursions for the Destiny it is not listed. Has anyone done it from the Destiny and if so how did you book it. The web site for the BOB operators does not list tour info times or the prices has anone booked this themselves and if so how much was it? Thanks.

Hello Bevard & Cindy,

The BOB excursion doesn't go out to St. Croix. St. Croix is one of the US Virgin Islands, it is 40 miles away from St. Thomas. There is a Buck Island off of St. Croix and also a Buck Island off of St. Thomas, this sometimes causes confusion. In anycase excursions that leave from St. Thomas, like BOB, that state that they are going to Buck Island - are going to the one off of St. Thomas.

--Islander

www.*****[/quote What is up with that name, Buck Island do you know how come 4 buck islands in the virgin islands

Archived