October Med. Cruise-Insurance ???

I'm sure this question could be posted elsewhere but thought I would try here. We will be taking a 14 day cruise in October with 5 days pre cruise in Istanbul and 3 days post cruise in Barcelona. Used our FF miles for air so the up front trip cost is primarily the cost of the cruise.

1. I have usually gone with private insurance companies in the past.

Any disadvantage to the cruise company's plan?

2. Final payment on the cruise is due in August. Should I purchase my

insurance now? I believe there is usually a 90 day waiting period for

pre-existing medical.

3. How much coverage is needed for medical & medical evacuation?

Any other advice would really be helpful. Thanks.

Marty

The only advice I would offer is to buy private insurance..since they usually offer more protection. Most of the good companies will cover you for pre-existing conditions if you purchase the insurance within a short time period after booking (you need to read the policy). We have had personal experience with CSA (they paid off with no hassles when we had a death in the family) and there are several other well-known companies..most of which will let you purchase on line with real time quotes.

Hank

There is a disadvantage to purchasing through the cruise line if your pre- and post-cruise stay is booked independently, rather than through the cruise line. Cruise line insurance *only* covers what you purchase through the cruise line, so your land portion wouldn't be covered. Big gap in this situation.

CSA Insurance (through their Comfort Plan) covers pre-existing conditions as long as it is purchased no later than final payment date. Other insurers, such as TravelGuard or AccessAmerica, cover if purchased within the first 14 days after initial trip deposit is made. Pre-existing coverage varies by insurer, so you can't make blanket statements about it.

If you don't purchase within the initial window which waives pre-existing coverage, the policies have a "look back" period prior to purchase to determine if a condition is pre-existing. This varies from 60-180 days depending on the insurer and policy. If you've not had a change in treatment, or new diagnosis, within that time frame (and remember, it's the date you purchase the policy which matters, not the date of claim), then the condition usually is not considered to be pre-existing.

Archived