Deck 4, 5 or 6 on QM2?

chrob

We are looking to book an inside cabin on the QM2 and was wondering which would be the quietest deck.

On some ships you are aware of engine noise on lower decks and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of noise levels on the QM2?

Is one deck better than another?

We are looking to book this coming week so comments and advice will be welcome as soon as possible.

Chrob,

We haven't stayed on any of these decks yet, however, I would advise against deck 6. I would be concerned about being underneath high traffic areas like the Kings Court and the Promenade Deck which experience a fairly large volume of passengers throughout the day.

Perhaps deck 5 is a good bet as you are situated in between two passenger decks.

Cruiserking

I stayed on both decks 4 and 5 and never encountered much noise- I would be more concerned about booking a cabin a fair way from the launderettes- as they seem to generate a lot of traffic and noise!

chrob, I would avoid inside cabins on deck 6 midship. We were in one of those and did experience noise from the the Kings Court or possibly a kitchen. We were also on deck 5 in an outside cabin on another cruise and did not experience any noise. Look at the deck plans and do not choose a cabin under the Kings Court or under a "blank space" or under any other high traffic area.

Chrob, whatever cabin you choose, the engine noise you mentioned is not to feel or hear within the whole ship. Only in the Queens Room you can feel it a little bit beneath the dancing floor.

On the other hand have you looked at the cabins on Deck 8? They are fine with huge window-doors and if you find a cabin between two lifeboats you can als see the sea. Also they are good value for your money.

All the best from

Thanks for your replys. Looks like deck 5 it is then.

This will be our first time with Cunard. We've sailed with Celebrity, RCI and Princess before. What are the main differences?

We were in 5199 last sailing and loved it. Close to all the entertainment and elevators. Even though the back of the ship, no noise, and seemed to us, central to everything we wanted to do.

There are some who believe 6 deck carries an "extra passenger" ... of the spirit kind! Truly, I've heard a lot of complaints about noise on 6 deck from various cruisers including the one we were on in January. I believe most of the noise in January was transient noise. They were working on some cabins and insisted on starting very early in the morning. Several cruisers finally got moved.

Some folks on these boards have complained about being near an elevator and hearing in "bing" all night. We were near one, and although I am not usually very good at tuning things out, I did not find it annoying. But if you do tend to be bothered by such things try to get maybe as much as five cabins away from the elevator lobbies. You can hear them that far!

As for the adjoiniing doors. We had one. We found the main time we heard our neighbors was when they turned on the TV. Don't know if they had it up plenty loud or that was at normal volume. I don't go on cruises to watch TV. Only time I had ours on was to hear the noon announcement. I brought duct tape along if needed to seal around the door. I didn't find I needed to.

I would mainly suggest staying away from a heavy traffic areas such as stairwells and elevator lobbies. People tend to get off of elevators chatting about their dinner or their shore excursions or whatever. They tend to quiet down when going down long corridors. I, myself would tend to want to stay away from the area with the children's pool. Children can get rather ...(How can I say this nicely) exuberant at times, running down the halls with excitement. sounds like an elephant stampede at times!

Karie,

Who wishes you a marvelous time, no matter where you end up staying!

I was on deck 6 round trip in July 04 and heard nothing above at all. The room had an adjoining door as well. Do most rooms on deck 6 have adjoining doors? I'm on deck 6 again June 9th. If I could get a room without an adjoining door, I would prefer it. Thanks-Thread

Thanks for your replys. Looks like deck 5 it is then.

This will be our first time with Cunard. We've sailed with Celebrity, RCI and Princess before. What are the main differences?

When are you thinking of going on the QM2? For the record, for my Carribbean trip in December I'll be on deck 5. I think I'll be okay!

First time for Cunard myself. Cannot answer your question in regards to the comparison as I only have done Carnival and Holland America Line in the past. Cunard's reputation is more at the high end of the mass market lines meaning far more formal in terms of dress and traditional dining. There are definitely more formal nights and tuxes and dark suits are the norm on the ship in the evenings. Daytime dress is more resort casual. Although Cunard is not a true class-based society it does have some remnants of the old British system with the cabin accomodations based on a particular dining room. I personally see Celebrity, Holland America Line and Princess as being the next tier down. However, the feeling on these boards is that, even within Cunard, the QM2 is not as stately as the QE2 and has more mass market appeal which is either a good or bad thing dependent on your view.

I was on deck 6 round trip in July 04 and heard nothing above at all. The room had an adjoining door as well. Do most rooms on deck 6 have adjoining doors? I'm on deck 6 again June 9th. If I could get a room without an adjoining door, I would prefer it. Thanks-Thread

You can check adjoining doors on the deck plans (on Cunard website or brochure). The other reason I have seen on these boards for avoiding them, apart from noise, is that if people in the adjoining cabin smoke it wafts through (as a serial smoker, I have avoided them for this reason).

Regards, Mary

Thanks for all the replys. We will be travelling next April on the first transatlantic from New York on 18th April. My son is getting married in Central Park on 17th April and we are all traveling back to Southampton together on the QM2 before they go off on honeymoon.

In terms of general ship noise, I never found 6 deck to be any noliser than any other cabin. If you want a cabin with a difference, the cabins in the vicinity of 6065 do have an extra "feature" which certainly does not appear in the brochure. Check out the cabin 6065 thread on this board.

Navaleye,

Thanks for the reference to the 6065 thread. Fascinating. We'll be on deck 6 although starboard side aft for the 15 April crossing. I'll be keeping my ears and eyes open.

Last October we spent a week on the original Queen Mary. Definately picked up some interesting vibes there in the lower part of the ship but nothing specific to our cabin.

Archived