Star Princess Fire - Any determination yet?

Sunshine91

Hi folks - I'm fairly regular over on the HAL boards but have a couple of questions for the Princess people. I hoping the CC faithful here can help me out.

In yesterday's travel section of the Washington Post, a staff reporter wrote a first person account of the Star Princess fire (I'm so sorry, but I don't know how to show the link). Several times in the article she mentions that her job is to cover fires & death. She states that "the blaze killed one passenger..." and goes on the say how many were injured, etc. I saw this as sensationalizing the 1 death. I heard, but could be wrong, that the passenger died of a heart attack in all of the excitement. Can anyone tell me if this is true or not, or where I can find this out?

She also states that "repeated updates on the fire that was likely caused by a forgotten cigarette" were issued throughout the morning until the ship pulled into Mongego Bay. I don't mean to incite the "smoking: pro or con" debate all over again. My understanding is this: a Jamaican tourism official mentioned the possibility that a cigarette caused the fire. My question: Has a determination been made yet as to the actual cause of the fire? I read the sticky thread & couldn't find anything concrete. If anyone knows where I can find more information on-line, I sure would appreciate that.

The reason I'm asking these questions - I was really disappointed that someone who covers fires would print these sensational, tabloid-style passages in a paper as respected as the Washington Post. There are other parts of the article that bothered me, too, but these are the worst. I'd like to respond, but want to have my facts correct first.

Thank you.

Hi, one sunshine to another. I wrote a first hand acct of my experience of the fire. I will have to go online to read the post article, it does sound like they sensationlized it. If anyone else can post the link that would be great. I was on the ship for 48 hours after the fire awaiting air transportation. While rumors were rampant never did I hear that it was a cigarette confirmed. Many different scenerios were offered, I guess we all just have to wait to hear the official report... probably in the distant future.

Yes, there was a fire. Yes, 11 people were treated for smoke related problems. Yes, one person died of a heart attack during the excitement of the event. That is all that is know for sure.

The time that the fire occurred and it's location have lead many to believe that a cigarette may have been the initial source of this fire. The fire is being investigate by the British version of the NTSB. It's investigation could take a few weeks or a couple years before a final report is released.

Anything and everything else is pure speculation.

There is a long and techical thread here that discusses various possibilities and includes comments from many who have some experience in the general arena of fire investigations. The possibility of a careless smoker can't be ruled out, but the unique nature of the fire and it's rapid spread suggest that other possibilities could be more likely. Princess has not released anything officially. Have fun with that thread, there are almost 400 posts!:)

Just for the record, the widow of the gentleman that died indicated in a TV interview that he died of a heart attack caused by smoke inhalation. She recounted the story of them crawling on the floor to avoid the smoke, and then that he succumbed. Please note I am not trying to fuel any fire (so to speak) just stating the facts as she relayed them.

As for the rest of the story, I would be dismayed as well if someone who supposedly had some background in these types of incidents jumped to the conclusion as to its origin. But, on the other hand, if it sells papers...?

Archived