Airfare upcharge

kidledr

Just found out today that by arriving a day early in Barcelona for the 9/11/06/ Millie cruise,X is adding $150 for the two of us, to the total cost of the trip.They claim that because the booking isn't "normal",the charge applies.I think that stinks.Any help from you guys?

TIA. artk.

Just found out today that by arriving a day early in Barcelona for the 9/11/06/ Millie cruise,X is adding $150 for the two of us, to the total cost of the trip.They claim that because the booking isn't "normal",the charge applies.I think that stinks.Any help from you guys?

TIA. artk.

That has been the policy for ages. The ships block space on airlines for certain flights. If passengers choose to deviate (spelling) there is an extra charge of anywhere from about $40-$75.00 per person. The cruise line is not making any money of this. NMNita

The cruise line is not making any money of this. NMNita

I seriously doubt that. The cost of an airdeviation is the fee PLUS any increase in the fare. Assuming the $150 is the fee only for two, then it looks like there was no fare differential or else that would have been added to the bill.

Celebrity is charging $75 per person to issue an air ticket that just about any travel agency will do for $10. If they're not making money their air department is incredible poorly run.

I seriously doubt that. The cost of an airdeviation is the fee PLUS any increase in the fare. Assuming the $150 is the fee only for two, then it looks like there was no fare differential or else that would have been added to the bill.

Celebrity is charging $75 per person to issue an air ticket that just about any travel agency will do for $10. If they're not making money their air department is incredible poorly run.

not quite true: we have no idea what rates were blocked. I guess I should have stated "they are not in the business to make money on air fares" even the simpliest change does cost; someone has to make the change, it takes time (regardless how little) thus there are costs to the cruise line that are passed on to consumers. The only problem I can see here is, if the OP went through a TA that person should have told the OP up front there would be an extra charge. In many years as a TA I have yet to see the airfare quoted by the cruise line charge, but the charges have always been there. NMNita

Archived