Experience with an off the menu entree

40+guy

On a recent RCI cruise my wife and I were pleasantly surprised with the opportunity to enjoy an off the menu entree. I mentioned to the head waiter that I had enjoyed the several opportunities to have different curry dishes while onboard and asked if there might be any appearing on one of the upcoming dining room selections. Since both he and the head chef were Indian I had hoped they might be symathetic to my inquiry. He seemed a little surprised (I guess that curry is not always appreciated by Americans ;)) and then asked us about our fondness, we shared a few curry tales and then he promised us our own curry dish at the next nights seating. We were not sure what to expect but sure enough we were presented with an excellent chicken curry as well as an excellent indian vegetable dish. It made our dining experience. :cool:

Please share any fond memories you might have if you experienced any "off the menu" items. :)

We will have to come up with something like that on our next cruise and see what they offer to do:D

Like I would LOVE Lobster Thermador...I know Princess has it, but I don't think Carnival serves it (atleast not that I remember)...so I may ask our waiter about that and see if they do that for me on the formal night! :D

• 2 weeks later...

We have posted about getting sambal on various

ships on another thread. We do bring our own hot

sauce, just in case, and often have to use it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=5701510&postcount=53

There is a good thread on the NCL boards about getting off-menu items

on those ships (along with other items not advertised).

We've discovered that you can get steak for lunch or

dinner any time, and unlike some other posters, we have

had uniformly good steaks. Seems like several ships we've been

on also offered some simple chicken dish as well.

I have had Tai food on RCL and thought it unpleasent...not the Tai food I am used to. But I love curry so if we have a waiter who shares our love for curry I will ask. I once asked on Celebrity for a chopped cob salad like they make at the Brown Derby...(I wrote the receipe out and gave it to the head waiter) the next night it was delivered to my table and it was excellent!

rev1.gif

I love Thai food. Maybe I could get them to serve that!

Archived