Bringing Sodas And Water On Board In Suitcases

1gail1

I'm a huge soda drinker and the kind I like are not sold onboard. I have a canvas travel bag devoted to bringing soda's onboard. I bring a few 12 packs at the time of boarding and check it along with all the other luggage. It's always been there ( no questions) when we get our luggage delivered to the cabin. We also bring big insulated mugs for carrying to the pool or what ever. The mugs are handy for getting coffee also.

The bag is also good for carrying back the extra stuff you accumulate on the cruise when you return.

We arrive at the port city the day before, so that night we go to the store and get several packs of pop and/or water and ask for an empty cardboard box to take them it. I pack a small roll of duct tape and tape up the box and put the ship's label on it. When we get to the ship, I open the box, take out the pop and save the box. Then, if we need the box, we have it. If we drink all the pop, we throw the box out. Usually, we will have a couple of bottles left and we put them in our suitcase to take home. By buying the pop at the port city, I don't have to take it on the plane (which could be a real pain). We now know how much pop/water to take so that we usually end up with nothing to take back.

Ray and Barbara

For Princess and RCCL I have just wrapped up the cases (with wide scotch tape) put a luggage tag on and given it to the porter to take aboard. If I travel by plane I put a case of twelve (1.25 liter bottles) in a suitcase and check it. The water weighs 40 pounds. If I travel with friends I make them take a suitcase with water for me. Suitcases empty of water? lotsa space for stuff!! One trip brought back an entire suitcase full of pewter.

by the way, I drink sparkling mineral water--about 2.5 liters per day. Average about a case per week. Very hard to find away from my home. and then only in itty bitty bottles that are usually glass (heavy)!

Travelin' this Thanksgiving on Holland America. Never gone with them before. What is their policy on bringing drinks aboard?

The only think I would like to add is that if you check the soda in your luggage, please be sure to wrap it in plastic. I have read many stories of spillage onto OTHER passenger's suitcases & clothes. If you have ever seen how they handle the bags and how they are piled on top of each other, you would understand how this could happen.

• 1 month later...

I've brought diet Mt. Dew and Caffenine free Pepsi on Disney, RCI and Carnival ships - right through the x-ray machines! I carry 12 pack cases and didn't want them tossed around and spilling so I put them in my carry-ons and wheeled them through - not a word was said with any of the cruise lines. Now my little bottles of booze, I put those in insulated cups inside of plastic zip locks inside of my soft sided cooler and check that through because that is a no-no. Then I tip the cabin steward at the start of the cruise and ask him to keep my cooler full of ice so we have plenty to keep our sodas and drinks cold during the cruise. Heaven help us if my DH doesn't have diet mt. dew!

Holly

Archived