Miami to Fort Lauderdale

Davyburns

Hi, We have just booked our xmas/newyear cruise leaving from Ft Lauderdale, but, because flights are pretty full at that time of year, we are having to fly into Miami 3 days earlier. Is it better to stay in Miami for the 3 days, then go directly to the ship? or would we be better off going directly to Ft Lauderdale and stay there? What is the best way to get from Miami Airport to Ft Lauderdale? Are there reasonable hotels close to the cruise terminals, or would I be better off staying downtown?

Lots of questions, but I am sure some of you will be able to help

Thanks

Davy

What time of day are you arriving at MIA?

I prefer Fort Lauderdale to Miami ... but that's just me.

Since I live down here, I haven't had to find transportation between Miami and Fort Lauderdale ... I am sure someone else can answer the question.

If you are coming in early or even mid-day, you could arrange for transportation directly to Fort Lauderdale. Then you can spend your 3 days soaking up the sun, enjoying the various waterside bars and restaurants, and you needn't worry about the Miami-Fort Lauderdale commute on the day you're embarking.

As far as hotels near the port, we have stayed at the Marriott Marina on 17th Street and loved it. They provide transportation to Port Everglades, which is only a few minutes away. There are other hotels in that area, too.

Typically we drive right from our house to the port, so we don't have extensive hotel experience in Fort Lauderdale!

It all depends on what you want to do on those 3 days. In any case, they are not far apart, so you can stay in Fort Lauderdale and go to South Beach for the day, for example. I would recommend renting a car, which you could get in Miami and return in Fort Lauderdale just before the cruise. Public transportation in Miami is inconvenient to non-existent, so a car is your best bet if you don't want to get stuck in whatever hotel you choose.

There is a variety of hotels in both areas, so you have to check what's available in your price range (I'm also in Miami, so aside from visiting a few hotels and having friends and family stay in them, not much I can add to that here).

Feel free to e-mail if you have any questions...

Regards,

Enrique

Archived