Xunantunich with Carnival Cruise Lines

Binney

I would like to also if this tour will be a strain on children, both mine are under the age of 10, (8 & 6) and which company will I save the most money with.

Thanks.

Breezy,

my kids were 12 & 16 (and oh yeah, the oldest kid, my Mom 64). The 16 yr old spent much of the time in the shaded seating area (I think that has more to do with her activities the night before). My 12 yr old was a little bored, but didn't complain. We travel quite a bit and she knows her manners on the road. This excursion is almost like a hands-on history lesson. Lots of listening to guides, etc. If your kids can get unruly, it wouldn't be fair to them or the other guests to haul them on this excursion.

I am just in the beginning stages of a trip on the Carnival Glory. DH and I want to do some ruins at this stop in Belize but we're not quite sure which one yet. Does anyone remember how much this cost going through the cruise ship? Were there a lot of people at the ruins? How many people were on your bus? Was there a place to buy any local goods? And...last but not least, exactly what kind of food did you have for lunch and how did the whole lunch thing go... Thanks a lot!

I am just in the beginning stages of a trip on the Carnival Glory. DH and I want to do some ruins at this stop in Belize but we're not quite sure which one yet. Does anyone remember how much this cost going through the cruise ship? Were there a lot of people at the ruins? How many people were on your bus? Was there a place to buy any local goods? And...last but not least, exactly what kind of food did you have for lunch and how did the whole lunch thing go... Thanks a lot!

Xunantunich was $75 each through Carnival.

There was only one other very small group at the ruins other than our small group (maybe 20 people on our excursion)

There were small stands open to sell local trinkets where the bus parked at the end of the tour of the ruins. Bring cash. There was also a small refreshment stand open where we stopped for a bathroom break...bring cash.

The lunch at the hotel was fruit punch (very good), rice, beans, chicken, and something else, but I can't remember. Very filling and quite good. I would suggest however to pack a few Snickers or something in your bag on the way out...I was STARVING after being fed every fifteen minutes on the ship for three days. :) Plus bring extra bottled water...it was hot and it was needed.

Which sailing of the Glory are you going on? We're on October 21st and can't wait to go back to Belize. Gonna do Altun Ha this time!

Stef

Xunantunich was $75 each through Carnival.

There was only one other very small group at the ruins other than our small group (maybe 20 people on our excursion)

There were small stands open to sell local trinkets where the bus parked at the end of the tour of the ruins. Bring cash. There was also a small refreshment stand open where we stopped for a bathroom break...bring cash.

The lunch at the hotel was fruit punch (very good), rice, beans, chicken, and something else, but I can't remember. Very filling and quite good. I would suggest however to pack a few Snickers or something in your bag on the way out...I was STARVING after being fed every fifteen minutes on the ship for three days. :) Plus bring extra bottled water...it was hot and it was needed.

Which sailing of the Glory are you going on? We're on October 21st and can't wait to go back to Belize. Gonna do Altun Ha this time!

Stef

Wow, it does sound pretty good! DH and I are going on the February 10 sailing in 2007....

Hey, were there a lot of ruins to see? Did you have to stay with the group at the ruins or could you wander and look at them on your own without the guide?

Altun Ha....I'll have to take a look at that one too!

Wow, it does sound pretty good! DH and I are going on the February 10 sailing in 2007....

Hey, were there a lot of ruins to see? Did you have to stay with the group at the ruins or could you wander and look at them on your own without the guide?

Altun Ha....I'll have to take a look at that one too!

The ruins are rather large and it is a big complex...the guides are quite knowledgeable, so staying with them would be best I would think. They take you around the complex describing the history, architecture, climb to the top of El Castillo with you, etc. I would stay with them.

Have fun!

The ruins are rather large and it is a big complex...the guides are quite knowledgeable, so staying with them would be best I would think. They take you around the complex describing the history, architecture, climb to the top of El Castillo with you, etc. I would stay with them.

Have fun!

Thanks! The reason I was asking is because my DH studied the mayan culture and was an archeologist so he does enjoy looking on his own. We must have a ton of books on mayan culture and history!

Thanks! The reason I was asking is because my DH studied the mayan culture and was an archeologist so he does enjoy looking on his own. We must have a ton of books on mayan culture and history!

I would make sure I spoke with the guides beforehand in regards to wandering off on your own. At least let them know you aren't being rude, you just want to explore. :)

That's a good idea - thanks! By the way, how long did you actually have to tour the ruins? DH and I talked yesterday about this trip and he was pretty much set on doing it!

I want to think it was nearly an hour at the ruins...

You park the bus at the bottom of the mountain, get on the little hand cranked ferry, climb into a van and drive up the mountain. You park at the bathroom/snack stand. You take a slow walk (the guides were great about taking an easy pace, especially for our older members), up to the visitor center where he goes over the models of the compound and describes local flora and fauna. Then you continue up to the compound and to various sites. I was so hot (I am a hillbilly, and anything over 80 degrees is stiffling to me), I found the shade every time I could. The guides answer questions, talk to you about historical significance etc as they take you around the temples and then finally UP El Castillo....that was fun! We rested a bit after coming back down and had more questions and answers with the guides, and then back down the mountain.

It is a good tour...very informative and fun.

Any more questions, just holler!

Stef

PS...don't forget some small bills, the guides do accept tips at the end, along with our driver. Hubby and I felt bad that we only had like $6 in ones left at the end and the rest in $20's...

The lunch at the hotel was fruit punch (very good), rice, beans, chicken, and something else, but I can't remember.

Stef

It was fried plantain...and also very good!:)

Did you think an hour was enough? It seems a really short time to look at the ruins and climb the one...

It may have been more than an hour, but I am thinking it was close to an hour...plenty of time. The guides were very thorough, and I was just searching for some shade (my fair skin and blonde hair was taking a beating), but we had a good tour of the sight, a nice climb up. They took their time with us and I never felt rushed at all.

has anyone taken this excursion?

Did you enjoy it? Why or why not?

How was the bus ride?

Any tips for picture taking, or the order to visit the ruins?

Lots of bugs?

How was lunch at San Ignacio? Did you get really hungry before?

Thanks!:D

I did this tour on the Veendam in December 2005 - great tour and you get to see alot. Carolyn & Gilbert were our tour guides, too. (say HI!!!, please) One thing no one mentioned is that after the little ferry, there are vans that take you up the side of a sharpe incline -- there they stop. You need to WALK up the rest of the incline (I almost didn't make it) When you get up to the top it is fantastic. I decided that even I was going to climb El Castillo - broke my elbow 2 months before, scared of heights(not much to hold on to) and scared of snakes, out of shape & very very overweight -- heck the old people were doing it. Well, with the group help and support - I DID IT!!!! Did I say I broke my elbow slipping off a small curb(definitely not corrdinated,either).

Do I regret doing it - NO!!! I was sore for a day & 1/2 but the whirlpool was great - did Kohunlich in Costa Maya 2 days later. (More ruins, further out - flatter terrain & great meal)

SO, go but be advised that you might want to do some stair stepping or walking before hand. Did not use bug spray. Water & sun block. Had a great lunch at a horse farm/hotel.

Enjoy!!!!

Binney,

Beautiful picture! I was considering this excursion for this July... but not to excited about the drive to & from or the travel advisories for the area surrounding there?

Now, I'm second guessing...what to do

I got a kick out of this bus being a Mercedes Benz and a cracked windshileld. There was a couple who complained loudly the whole time about the condition of the bus...hey it's Belize, not the USA!

8765532-R1-006-1A.jpg

Mimi

I cannot imagine this trip without this excursion. Just think, people are allowed to climb all over this every day. How long do you think it will be before it is off limits? You will have seen it, touched it. I'm glad I did although I feel guilty because it is a treasure that I should have not been allowed to touch...but I could not resist. Can you????

I don't enough aboout the other tour to contrast the two, but to me it was a "once in a lifetime" event. And I travel fairly regularly...by land and sea and I MUST say this was spectacular to me. My kids say that I am a "nerd" and like history too much, but I feel that if we don't know where we've been we can't possibly know where we're going. Too corny right? I loved IT!

Here's aother pic: this is me at the bottom after I've gone up and come down...awesome my friend! And the word is not used lightly...see the look on my face...WOW!meatelcastillo.jpg

think about what was...holy crap...we can touch history, not just learn about it. Had I kown then I would have gone to every ruin I could have. And I will from this point on. Don't miss it if you can manage it.;)

Thanks for the pic too! How high up is that ruin? How many minutes did it take you to climb up it! You look great if that pic was taken afterwards! I agree with you about your philosophy on history... I only wish I had learned this when I was in my teen years and paid more attention. It is amazing to think of the people who once walked within and on these ruins and areas...and how different life was...

Archived