Sept In Alaska

sddee

Can anyone give me any info about cruising Alaska in late September I am looking at 17th or 22nd, Holland or Princess. How are the waters? Any advice would be appreciated.

My parents have been to Alaska 3 times. Every trip during September, however the week before your plans. Their first trip was during 9-11. The second in 2003, and then again in 2004. They are planning on going again, only May instead. Their second trip I got to join them. The weather was wonderful!!! When we stopped in Ketchikan it was gloomy, and towards the end of the day it started to lightly rain. Every other port it was a little gloomy, but no rain. In juneau it was gloomy during the morning and sunny the rest of the day. Our one day at sea it rained, but it just made the scenery even more special. When we arrived in Sitka we were told by the locals that We had gotten there between storms apparently the day before it had snowed!!! I would say going in September to Alaska is perfect, because of the weather and because the prices for touristy stuff (souvenirs) are cheap!!!!! Have fun!!!

I read a lot on these boards and picked Princess.

Princess and another line (I forget if it's HAL or Norwegian?) have naturalists on board, which makes a huge difference for us. Pricing was way cheaper for Princess (we're going budget). We're booked on the 9/9 southbound Princess Diamond.

Anytime Dining was also important to us as we didn't want to have to give up something in port to make dinner. I also like having a fridge even in the lowest category cabin.

Archived